Windows 8 sales dissapointing

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#271 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• 6,224 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:02

I still can't believe they didn't give us a new icon set.

#272 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:08

I still can't believe they didn't give us a new icon set.

Well they did...for things inside the new UI. I didn't expect new Icons in the Desktop space since it is being viewed as a legacy area.

#273 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,815 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 20:45

Exactly, Microsoft knows this very well. Consumers aren't "stuck in their ways" or "old fashioned" otherwise Apple's biggest problem wouldn't be where to store their endless bundles of cash. Consumers are willing to try and embrace new when it brings tangible benefits to the table for them.

The risks are so high with Windows 8 for them that I feel they just overshot and if this thing goes the way all of their latest shots have went they have a major problem on their hands. They are stoking the coals with developers that mobile is very important, but run the risk of those developers jumping for the existing successful platforms instead. This is why I feel they severely screwed up with Windows 8 in some major and fundamental ways. They are only bringing one real carrot to the table here. They are bringing millions of Windows desktop users to the table for a strong incentive for the developers, but they failed to bring something for the consumers.

Microsoft really needs to break the ecosystem pull of Apple and Google for users. Since Microsoft was willing to radically rethink the PC their primary focus should have been building a strong ecosystem. As it stands now, they have two separate "Stores" with one for Windows 8 Desktop & Tablet and another for Windows Phone. They have a phone which can't sync music with the PC properly. They have a PC littered with "charms" and they failed to deliver any solid vision for developers to be inspired by on how to use it.

It will be hard to pull users from iOS when they have spent thousands on apps, docks, speaker sets, etc... The same is true for Android, at least for apps.

To be honest, the **** poor release by Microsoft shows either arrogance or desperation and I'm not sure which is worse for them at this stage.

It may have been a smarter choice for them to release Windows 8 in a year or two from now when they could have ironed this out, but we're here now.

The problem is that waiting was not an option for the very reason you pointed out.

There is an impatience being shown - egged on by the punditocracy that loves anything not Microsoft.

Microsoft - plain and simply - did not have the extra time.

Google got away with it because they had NO legacy infrastructure. Apple, compared to Microsoft, is a niche.

As I've been posting for the past several months, the rise of devices caught Microsoft flat-footed.

If Microsoft waited, they risked not being able to counter that rise at all (the user base would be too ingrained in Android and iOS for Microsoft to make ANY inroads).

We as tech users and developers know it; we aren't stupid.

However, that means that if we want to do something about it, we have to accept a change in what Windows itself is and what it is about.

THAT is where we're balking.

Windows has been where it is for almost two decades - a desktop and workstation-focussed OS - its own niche. (It's a rather LARGE niche; however, it's still a niche.)

We, as users, have balked at any and every attempt to expand Windows out of that box we've caged it in. (The only thing that has succeeded is Azure.)

Look at any and every attempt Microsoft has made to expand Windows out of the "computing" niche - other than Azure (which succeeded by being obscure), we as users have done our darndest to force Windows back into the box.

Even though we're quite aware that unless Windows breaks OUT of that box, devices will encroach and start eating its lunch, we're still trying to keep Windows (and thus Microsoft) in that cage.

Are we, as users, THAT nihilistic?

#274 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• 3,095 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 920

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:01

Microsoft has sold 40 million copies of Windows 8 to date. All you naysayers can shut up now k thxbai :)

http://www.winsyde.c...s-of-windows-8/

#275 +mram

mram

Neowinian

• 233 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:19

Microsoft has sold 40 million copies of Windows 8 to date. All you naysayers can shut up now k thxbai :)

http://www.winsyde.c...s-of-windows-8/

Yay! 4% of the entire install base of Windows has upgraded! Break out the champagne folks.

I would venture to guess a large chunk of that are developers, corporate evaluators, and reporters.

Note it also does not count people who downgrade, nor does it separate OEM preinstallations.

#276 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• 3,095 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 920

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:27

Yay! 4% of the entire install base of Windows has upgraded! Break out the champagne folks.

I would venture to guess a large chunk of that are developers, corporate evaluators, and reporters.

Note it also does not count people who downgrade, nor does it separate OEM preinstallations.

Can I have some of what you're on?

Ballmer stated they will have 400 million licenses by years end. They're well on their way to achieve that now. 40 million is 40 million regardless of who..

#277 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,811 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:31

I know metro apps are full screen. :rofl: This is what I'm talking about Posted Image Now compare that to win 7 Posted Image

Still not sure what you are complaining about. Explorer looks normal to me.

#278 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,208 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:35

Still not sure what you are complaining about. Explorer looks normal to me.

He's bitching about the pink app icon. Which is fixed by changing the default media player.

#279 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

• 508 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:59

I know metro apps are full screen. :rofl:

This is what I'm talking about
Posted Image

Now compare that to win 7
Posted Image

Right click -> Open With. Choose WMP and it will ask you if you want to make that the default program for .avi files. Pink icon gone

#280 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,657 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:13

Right click -> Open With. Choose WMP and it will ask you if you want to make that the default program for .avi files. Pink icon gone

BUT BUT HOW DO I REMOVE THE PINK HIGHLIGHT IN THE RIBBON???!!!

/s

#281 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,496 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 27 November 2012 - 23:27

i'd say that's still slightly different. there's a bit of difference between a completely new and different and a familiar environment that has changed quite a bit.

I don't really care how you spin this one around, the example I gave you shows people are not only able but willing to adjust. Something you flat out disputed.

#282 Mainer82

Mainer82

Neowinian

• 588 posts
  • Phone: Motorola 4 yr old flip phone

Posted 27 November 2012 - 23:29

Hmm, that's too bad. I initially did NOT like Windows 8, but as I was assigned to test it at work I really started to like it and even purchased the home edition for my personal computer.

#283 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 00:48

I like it but the more I use it the more I dislike it. Sort of odd, I guess.

#284 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:28

Indeed. As I stated on the news articles it took about 6 months for Windows 7 to hit the 7 licenses sold per second mark.

Windows 8 has already hit the 15 licenses sold per second mark...

Want to toss out another conspiracy theory or something about how that's actually terrible?

#285 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:59

I know metro apps are full screen. :rofl:

This is what I'm talking about
Posted Image

Now compare that to win 7
Posted Image

How do you mount a network location as a folder like that? (NAS Folder in top picture) Mine are always mounted as drives with a Letter.