• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#31 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,730 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:28

I can't stand Windows 8. Not because of functionality.. let's say that I could find workarounds around some of the most retarded UI and functionality decisions in this version of Windows, but to be honest it's so butt ugly that I can't look at it. It bothers me so much.

Microsoft has done 2 worst things they could have done. Made Windows super ugly, unintuitive and on top of that are trying to completely lock it down because they have Apple envy and all this not because of users but because of the fact that they are a decade late for mobile and new wave of technology.

But I guess they can do whatever they want. Market and users will vote with their usage not corporate agendas.

This will be a huge flop and worse than Vista.

Boz everyone on this forum knows that if Windows 8 was released by Google in the exact same form it is right now you'd be calling it amazing, the best thing ever etc.

#32 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:28

I get your point. However, someone that's older and didn't grow up with computers should find Windows 8 easier as there's huge freaking tiles on the screen clearly labeled with what each tile does.

You'd think that but once most people get use to doing thing a certain way, they hate change and will actively resist it.

#33 Open Minded

Open Minded

Balance

• 1,292 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:33

You'd think that but once most people get use to doing thing a certain way, they hate change and will actively resist it.

I agree with you 100%. I should have said "never used" instead of saying "never grown up with". I think Windows 8 would be a great first OS for an older person as far as ease of use and understanding. For maximum protection, I'd pick Linux. There's no way grandma knows sudo. :D

#34 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:34

God I wish this thing would go away.

#35 Open Minded

Open Minded

Balance

• 1,292 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:37

God I wish this thing would go away.

Are the herpes flairin up again?

#36 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:44

Are the herpes flairin up again?

No, the drugs I'm takin are workin just fine thx :)

#37 aviator189

aviator189

Neowinian

• 886 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:46

You can call it bad news when the actual sales report is released.
Don't judge based on a rumor, especially by this dude.

#38 korupt_one

korupt_one

****ing Guru

• 1,087 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:51

Not everyone was born in this generation dude. You can't expect a 70 year old lady or man to understand something as technologically challenging as Windows 8.

my mum is 73 years old and she has no problems with windows 8, in fact she likes it more than windows 7.

#39 OP Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,437 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:54

Boz everyone on this forum knows that if Windows 8 was released by Google in the exact same form it is right now you'd be calling it amazing, the best thing ever etc.

LOL.. I've been using for over 25 years now.. and was always supportive of new version as it brought better things.. being objective for some people is not an option.

Windows 8 is terrible and that's a simple fact that everyone sees.. Unlike with Vista, which I actually didn't have problems with, and Windows 7 being absolutely terrific Windows, this new version of Windows 8 and everything Microsoft is doing is completely detached from any understanding of technology and vision. Sorry that many people just can't see that and are blindly defending something that's subpar. Being critical of crap will make Microsoft make a better Windows, defending their disasters does nothing but encourages garbage and mediocrity and destroying what we had for PCs all these decades.

#40 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:18

And shane, you said you work for microsoft, you should probably put a disclaimer in your signature letting people know of your bias.

Contractor, and currently unemployed. There was a layoff back in May. My entire team was subject to the layoff.

I'm bored of waiting so I'm looking at other stuff instead of waiting for the callback.

Also my signature is pretty clear and I don't hide where I've worked.

While I do tend to prefer MS products I don't defend stupid decisions. In fact I'm hyper critical usually of everything. It tends to make me unpopular since I don't mince words and don't like office politics.

I will flat out tell someone that an idea is stupid or that they are wasting my time. I don't care about popularity, but results.

On the other side I'm also the guy there all night taking naps on a futon and working my ass off to ensure that the customer and my coworkers get my best. I don't believe in anything less brutal honesty and giving my all.

I will never claim to give 110% because the people who claim that are usually full of ****. i will always give my best though. Customers , coworkers, and my superiors deserve nothing less.

#41 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,730 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 17 November 2012 - 17:47

LOL.. I've been using for over 25 years now.. and was always supportive of new version as it brought better things.. being objective for some people is not an option.

Windows 8 is terrible and that's a simple fact that everyone sees.. Unlike with Vista, which I actually didn't have problems with, and Windows 7 being absolutely terrific Windows, this new version of Windows 8 and everything Microsoft is doing is completely detached from any understanding of technology and vision. Sorry that many people just can't see that and are blindly defending something that's subpar. Being critical of crap will make Microsoft make a better Windows, defending their disasters does nothing but encourages garbage and mediocrity and destroying what we had for PCs all these decades.

What exactly is microsoft doing with Windows 8? Getting rid of the start menu? Oh god technology is completely ruined now :rolleyes:

Way to also completely avoid my point because you know it's true. Had Windows 8 been a Google product you WOULD have been calling it the best OS ever and telling everyone to use it. Don't try and claim otherwise.

#42 ThePitt

ThePitt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,808 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:01

Microsoft is blaming its PC partners

Someone needs to be blamed. Maybe you dont sell because the OS just sucks and thats why

#43 Superboy

Superboy

Neowinian

• 121 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:28

Actually all change is progress, just not necessarily in the direction you want. :p

Actually it's not
Main Entry: progress Part of Speech: verb
Definition: improve, advance
Synonyms ameliorate, become better, better, blossom, boost, develop, gain, grow, increase, make first rate, mature, shape up, straighten up, truck, turn over new leaf, upgrade
Antonyms: decline, decrease, deteriorate, retrogress

changing for the worst would be retrogress
Educate your self

#44 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:08

Actually it's not
Main Entry: progress Part of Speech: verb
Definition: improve, advance
Synonyms ameliorate, become better, better, blossom, boost, develop, gain, grow, increase, make first rate, mature, shape up, straighten up, truck, turn over new leaf, upgrade
Antonyms: decline, decrease, deteriorate, retrogress

changing for the worst would be retrogress
Educate your self

Retrogress (while technically a word) is actually just a longer way of saying Regress, which would also be correct.

However Progress can also have the following definition:

To increase in scope or severity, as a disease taking an unfavorable course.

As in 'he progressed towards his inevitable death'. One would say that moving towards death isn't really an improvement. Thus is the nature of our language.

BTW, trying to argue semantics with someone who started reading at about the time they started walking, and already tested at college level comprehension by the age of 9...probably a waste of your time.

Then again what was the last job you've had that had a major impact that affected millions of people directly? Come back to me when you've had a major success. Until then please don't stock me trying to one up me.

Well now...that's far enough off-topic, sorry folks...back onto the actual topic.

#45 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:35

I wholeheartedly agree with this 100%!! best ever statement on this situation, and all that needs to be said really.