• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#46 ozgeek

ozgeek

Neowinian Senior

• 7,935 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:51

too confusing my ass.

people no a days are just too lazy to even bother TRYING to figure out the new system, they'd much rather be spoon fed everything

it's rather despicable how stubborn and stuck in their ways humankind has become

You know not everyone have time to learn something new and needlessly. Most people just want things to work.

For example when you get in a brand new car, you should just be able to oeprate it's equipment but know that because it is a new car, things will be in different places but functions will be excatly the same. Besides, it should take no longer than 5 minutes or less to get to know the new car. Just like it should be like with computers. Computers has lost too much GUI standards that many are becoming confused of which OS is which and how to use it, especially a brand new OS.

Windows 8 has a new GUI and we all don't have the luxury of time to get to know where things are and how to nagivate them.

#47 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:23

their sales can't be too bad, i just paid $15 for it this morning, and already back on windows 7. So they got $15 for nothing, ha.

$15 ain't a bad loss, same here buddy really, £14.99. I'll scratch that as a mistake in life, we all make them sometimes, your not alone, yup, but not a costly one on this occasion, thank god! Just a 'time waster' mostly, but I had a true image backup of Win 7 anyway, so that did save me the hassle in long run, and all back to normal operation. :)

#48 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,054 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:36

I am not surprised in the least. Windows 8 is a desktop disaster and too confusing for the average Joe and home user. The UI sucks. People do not like it and the sales show that. I have 3 customers who all bought new PCs this past week and 2 of then returned them because they simply can't understand the new Windows. The other one is having headaches.

What they should have done is make Windows 7 better and call it Windows 8, without changing its already usable and easy UI.

I have yet to understand how anything on win8 is confusing to anyone, or how the UI sucks. People quote, make statements, etc, but never give honest real insight and stuff.

#49 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:43

I have yet to understand how anything on win8 is confusing to anyone, or how the UI sucks.

For you, yes, great stuff, I'm happy for ya. :)

#50 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,054 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:06

His post was far more insightful than yours "and stuff".

Who are you to judge whether we're being honest or not about the reasons we dislike Windows 8. I know not being inlove with windows 8 is not allowed around here, but its the way it is.

Maybe you're just way more intelligent than most others. ;) "and stuff".

Well yes, your last part is true, but in honesty, and let's really be honest and not just bash for the sake of 'being cool', the point stands that people can't seem to give a real honest answer on why they think it is bad, and sucks. Instead, they decide to poke fun and demean people that suggest they don't understand what is wrong with it since people never give real or insightful answers and stuff.

So yes, I am more intelligent than most others. However, even with limited intellect, most people should be able to figure out how to operate win8. Or at least form coherent reasons why not...

For you, yes, great stuff, I'm happy for ya. :)

Thank you. Though why you thanked me is not readily apparent.

#51 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,187 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:09

Best buy is also the company that told my wife her laptop was completely dead and there was nothing they could do to fix it (this is after charging her to take a look at it), when the only problem with it was the monitor cable had come loose.

Further, isn't Best Buy in major hot water, largely due to declining sales?

Reactions of Beast Buy sales persons (almost a misnomer considering how knowledgeable they are compared to the average Neowinian) are hardly a suitable measuring stick.

#52 Nomad_

Nomad_

Neowinian

• 561 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:12

their sales can't be too bad, i just paid $15 for it this morning, and already back on windows 7. So they got $15 for nothing, ha.
Maybe it'll improve over time, i don't know. Was slower on my desktop than 7 was, and the hideous visuals made it even worse. Tried to force myself to like it, but i'm not as good at that as others.
and before others say it, yes im afraid of change.... when the change isn't for the better.

I saved myself $40.00 by downloading the RTM build (90-Day Trial). I really tried to like Windows 8, but after a few weeks of use I find that I hate everything about It.

#53 Joni_78

Joni_78

Neowinian Senior

• 1,949 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:10

I bought the 14 € Pro version. In many ways Windows 8 is a step back on desktops (start screen etc.) but I really like some under the hood enchancements it has over Windows 7 and because it was only 14 € I decided to upgrade.

News about bad sales are not a suprise.

It's funny how there is always a group of people who think everything new is the best thing ever, if Windows 9 would have the start button instead of start screen, the same people who now love start screen would say start button is better than start screen was :/

#54 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 10,720 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:11

People are comfortable with what they are comfortable with, upset that and lose customers at your own risk.

#55 Albert

Albert

Neowinian Senior

• 1,530 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:29

nawww.

from the way the neowinian fanboys were religiously hammering naysayers and going all stigmatic over the features of win egg in the months leading to its launch.

i was almost a believer. /s

almost. /s

lmao.

#56 Elliott

Elliott

Neowinian Senior

• 11,083 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 (iOS 6)

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:32

I went and used one of the TouchSmarts with Windows 8 at Best Buy just to see what it was like with a touch interface (the preferred input method for Windows 8). Because I had been following its development and watched the keynotes, I could navigate it fairly well (though some gestures I thought I had remembered were, oddly, not working). However, my girlfriend couldn't even figure out how to exit the app that was currently open. Without the intro process to tell her how it works, it was completely unusable. I'm sorry, but I don't see how one could consider that anything but a poorly designed user experience.

#57 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,132 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:39

BestBuy must be run drastically different in the States, here its a well liked good store with lower prices then anyone else. They are clean, always stocked, and enjoyable. Sales people are just mostly young adults 18-25. Of course some sales people give bad advice, some also give good advice. Overall I like BestBuy here.

#58 Gaffney

Gaffney

I have no title

• 1,758 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:41

I went and used one of the TouchSmart's with Windows 8 at Best Buy just to see what it was like with a touch interface (the preferred input method for Windows 8). Because I had been following its development and watched the keynotes, I could navigate it fairly well (though some gestures I thought I had remembered were, oddly, not working). However, my girlfriend couldn't even figure out how to exit the app that was currently open. Without the intro process to tell her how it works, it was completely unusable. I'm sorry, but I don't see how one could consider that anything but a poorly designed user experience.

Top left or bottom left or swipe from left to switch to next app.

Windows 8 uses gestures and not buttons, it's something new to learn.

#59 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,817 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:45

Sales only reflect the end users disappointment in Microsoft. :laugh:

#60 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,244 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:49

I went and used one of the TouchSmart's with Windows 8 at Best Buy just to see what it was like with a touch interface (the preferred input method for Windows 8). Because I had been following its development and watched the keynotes, I could navigate it fairly well (though some gestures I thought I had remembered were, oddly, not working). However, my girlfriend couldn't even figure out how to exit the app that was currently open. Without the intro process to tell her how it works, it was completely unusable. I'm sorry, but I don't see how one could consider that anything but a poorly designed user experience.

It's a lot more intuitive than anything on the iPad. Double tapping on the home button to start closing apps is not obvious and most users don't even know the ridiculous four finger gestures exist. By comparison, every Windows 8 user is told to swipe in from the edges when they first set their PC up and the close gesture seems very sensible to me. You even get an animation to show you what is happening with the option to back out so you can't accidentally close apps. All very sensible and intuitive.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!