Photo

Windows 8 sales dissapointing

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#61 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,651 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:55

my girlfriend couldn't even figure out how to exit the app that was currently open.

Doesn't it work exactly the same way as it does on the iPad, i.e. press the home/windows button to get back to the launcher?

#62 Clirion

Clirion

Neowinian

• 909 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:56

Not everyone was born in this generation dude. You can't expect a 70 year old lady or man to understand something as technologically challenging as Windows 8.

My mother and my father in-law both had be load it.
My Mother is 73 and Father in-law is 72. My father is looking at it on my mothers system, he is leaning to pulling the trigger on it, he is 76.

#63 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,996 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:59

There doesn't exactly seem to be a booming interest in the UK, despite a quite intensive advertising campaign. People aren't queuing in computer stores to get their hands on it, and most members of the public that I come across seem apathetic at best.

#64 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

• 3,292 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:02

There doesn't exactly seem to be a booming interest in the UK, despite a quite intensive advertising campaign. People aren't queuing in computer stores to get their hands on it, and most members of the public that I come across seem apathetic at best.

When has the general public ever been like that for an OS. Most people only care about it when they upgrade their PC's.

Microsoft's biggest challenge is to get people too see Windows 8 & Windows RT tablets as competition to the iPad and other tablets at the moment. I see many people foregoing getting a new laptop to just get a simpler tablet, and they don't realise that Windows RT is also an option. They just think it's Windows...

#65 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,996 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:04

I recall quite a few people being interested in the launch of Windows 7. I don't know if that's because they hated Vista but Microsoft have been advertising 8 pretty damn hard over here.

#66 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,608 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:05

Doesn't it work exactly the same way as it does on the iPad, i.e. press the home/windows button to get back to the launcher?

Why would it do that? The Windows button on a tablet works exactly the same way as it does on a keyboard (and has done since 1995). It toggles the Start screen on and off. It makes no sense for a launcher to be a closer.

#67 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:05

Not everyone was born in this generation dude. You can't expect a 70 year old lady or man to understand something as technologically challenging as Windows 8.

my grandma is 76 and I put windows 8 on her pc cause she liked the colors in the start screen. Now she uses it daily. Granted she only skypes grandkids and does online banking with the occasional facebook but she can still use start screen with ease for music and for some reason she uses the metro IE to do her browsing stuff. I don't think shes ever on the old style desktop.

#68 Subhadip

Subhadip

Neowinian

• 228 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:07

This should not be a surprise. Most of the Windows 8 touchscreen devices showed off months leading up to the release are not coming before December. Not a single one of them was even on sale for release day. It was just Surface and Vivo Tab RT, both RT machines. The first batch of Windows 8 machines, Ativ Smart PC, Yoga 13 shipped in November. A couple of Asus Vivo Books after, Acer S7, but not much more. The rest is still missing. They had years to prepare for this launch and most OEMs have been showing off these products for months. There's no excuse - the line-up of the brand new products should have been ready for display on October 26th. Instead all they could see was Surface, which is clearly not for everyone. If there was no Surface there would be zilch, nothing.

#69 dr_crabman

dr_crabman

Neowinian

• 564 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:13

Maybe you're just way more intelligent than most others. ;) "and stuff".

Or he tried using it for longer than a few hours. I can't take anyone seriously that writes stuff like "installed this morning, already back to W7". Also, Thurott's comments have gotten equally questionable over the last few years.

#70 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,651 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:18

Why would it do that? The Windows button on a tablet works exactly the same way as it does on a keyboard (and has done since 1995). It toggles the Start screen on and off. It makes no sense for a launcher to be a closer.

I meant 'closed' as in 'you don't see it anymore'/it eventually gets suspended. Under normal circumstances, you're not really supposed to explicitly terminate apps in either iOS or Windows RT.

#71 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,608 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:21

I meant 'closed' as in 'you don't see it anymore'/it eventually gets suspended. Under normal circumstances, you're not really supposed to explicitly terminate apps in either iOS or Windows RT.

Yep, you can leave apps in the background and they will eventually close if not used.

#72 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:39

Posted Image

Only joking Mr Matrix :p

#73 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,222 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:39

Yep, you can leave apps in the background and they will eventually close if not used.

And will be shut down when RAM is needed or when the PC is shut down.

#74 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 9,005 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:55

This should not be a surprise. Most of the Windows 8 touchscreen devices showed off months leading up to the release are not coming before December. Not a single one of them was even on sale for release day. It was just Surface and Vivo Tab RT, both RT machines. The first batch of Windows 8 machines, Ativ Smart PC, Yoga 13 shipped in November. A couple of Asus Vivo Books after, Acer S7, but not much more. The rest is still missing. They had years to prepare for this launch and most OEMs have been showing off these products for months. There's no excuse - the line-up of the brand new products should have been ready for display on October 26th. Instead all they could see was Surface, which is clearly not for everyone. If there was no Surface there would be zilch, nothing.

Further, by and large, Windows is typically bought with a new PC - upgrades of existing PCs have always been over and above that. (This goes back to Windows 3.x.) The very reason overall Windows sales are *disappointing* is because the sales of new PCs themselves are FAR below what was the case with Windows 7, or even Windows Vista, due to - naturally - a sour economy globally. (Said sour economy even affects Best Buy; one reason that Windows 8 is NOT being pushed that hard COULD well be that warehouse full of existing PCs running Windows 7 that need to be sold to make room FOR Windows 8 PCs.) When was the last Windows to launch during a bad economy? (Simple - there hasn't been one.)

#75 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,651 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 16:04

The very reason overall Windows sales are *disappointing* is [...] due to - naturally - a sour economy globally.

Wouldn't Microsoft have been well aware of the economic conditions and has surely taken them into account when making their projections? Sales are after all supposedly well below Microsoft's own projections.