Car Registration Problem

Ok, I moved to a different state and need to register my car in the state I am now living in. Problem is, I refinanced my car and cannot find the current paperwork proving ownership. Since I am still making payments, I do not have the title. I do however have the paperwork from when I bought the car at the dealership.

If I give them the old paperwork, are they going to call at the DMV to make sure it is current/correct? Or will I be fine using that as proof of ownership?

EDIT: I do legally own the car. I have the original bill of sale from the dealership, just not paperwork from when I refinanced it thru a credit union.

Wouldn't this depend on the state of rego?

Well, I am living in Illinois ATM, and when I called the DMV they said since I am making payments to a lienholder, I need that paperwork to prove ownership. I dont have that but have the original bill of sale. I just am curious if they call and verify the paperwork or if the original bill of sale will be enough to prove ownership.

I need to register the car tomorrow and no time to send paperwork. If they may call the lien holder, then maybe they can verify over the phone? Like I said, I have my original bill of sale from the dealership, but no paperwork stating who I am financing the car thru. If all they need is proof of ownership,wouldnt hte bill of sale be enough?