I woke up this morning and realized that I was sick of playing COD. That's pretty much all I've done with the last 6 years of my gamer life. I went back to thinking about when I used to play RTS's, and how much I enjoyed building / managing bases.
Unfortunately over the years I think strategy games have moved away from building nice bases, and gone towards focusing on battles. Unfortunately, for me having a well made base is one of the most enjoyable parts of the game lol
So, my question is, what is a good recent game (i.e. last 6 years, more recent is better) that gave you the option to focus on making a nice base? To give an exact idea of what I'm looking for, Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun executed this perfectly (in 1999).
Some examples of the level of detail that *could* be put into the base:
- Add concrete / pavement to your base so that the ground wouldn't be wrecked by attacks, speed up troop movement, and prevent underground units from coming up in the center of your base
- Add walls (upgradeable), gates, etc.
- Extra lights (for night maps) to save you from things sneaking around in the dark
- Turn power off on non-critical buildings during attacks so if you lost power your whole base wouldn't go offline
- you get the idea...
Some things that I also liked about the game:
- Deformable terrain
- Night/Day cycles (can choose to attack at night vs during the day)
Honestly C&C TS was one of my favorite games from my childhood (after RA1, which was the first game my parents actually let me play). If someone can point me in the direction of a more recent game that has a similar level of immersive experience (in the big picture, not just making 100 units and rushing) I would be very appreciative!
First post here in years I think, I didn't know where else to go to ask haha