Photo

Office 2013 Interface - Really? This is The Best They Can Do?

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#46 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:28

Actually Office 2013 is not that bad... but it really needs the light gray theme, also, for those of us that are really bothered by all the white on nights, we can use f.lux to reduce eye strain considerably... it really works.

Posted Image

#47 Asrokhel

Asrokhel

Neowinian

• OS: Windows 8 Pro x64 (testing to see if I keep it or go back to Windows 7)

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:29

I am using the 60-day trial, but how do I change it [Word] from all white? I am using the desktop version, not the ****ty Metro version!

#48 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:32

I am using the 60-day trial, but how do I change it [Word] from all white? I am using the desktop version, not the ****ty Metro version!

File->Account->Theme

#49 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:37

Also 2013 preview really clashes with the rest of my setup:

and a sneak peek at the review I'm working on!

MSOFFICE2013-P-Example-327.PNG

#50 Asrokhel

Asrokhel

Neowinian

• OS: Windows 8 Pro x64 (testing to see if I keep it or go back to Windows 7)

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:38

File->Account->Theme

Thanks.

Light & Dark Gray look almost identical. It's too bad it can't pick up the theme colours of your desktop!

#51 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:38

It's perfectly possible to disable Words sub-pixel font positioning if you wish, without disabled hardware acceleration. (The Text won't be hardware accelerated anymore of course, but the rest will). Though I personally think it looks much nicer :p

I wonder if there are video card/monitor specific issues because it really looks fantastic to me. Seriously. Whites have never bothered me but I do adjust the gamma and dynamic contrast using my monitor controls and Catalyst Control Panel to get it perfect for me.

It's always possible, a random web search shows others getting the same issue, and others who don't. For me anyway it's totally ignoring ClearType and looks pretty bad, where 2010 correctly renders fonts as expected.

And seriously, that "dark gray" setting is barely worth. It's not dark, it's just slightly less white. This is a good content-focused UI. Microsoft had it and threw it away and that was a horrible mistake.

Exactly -- I use the silver version myself which still draws your eyes to where the content is. Personally this is what I'd prefer out of the default 2013 look instead of the stark white. It's white but still has easily defined separation in the various areas, and the content is still the main focus. (Scaled wayyyyy down.)

Posted Image

Personally Visual Studio 2012 got the "desktop Metro feel" done a lot nicer. Again, drastically scaled down.. you get the general idea. The main focus is white, the rest is a bit darker and everything has easy to see boundaries. Has the Metro "flavor" (minus the menus that YELL at you, turned those off), but it's easier on the eyes.

Posted Image

#52 xpablo

xpablo

XPablo

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:42

This whole Metro theme is boring and ugly, I agree that office 2013 is too bland and bright, thinking of uninstalling 2013 going back to 2010.

#53 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 17 November 2012 - 21:24

Thanks for understanding.

This is also one of my issues with the lack of transparency in Windows 8. I think it's great how Windows 7's windows are transparent. Absolutely not because it looks fancy, but because it pulls focus away from it. The frame isn't important, it blends into the background. It's about what's inside the frame.

I miss Aero Glass as well, and while I don't think there's any chance of it coming back, providing a few more themes to Office should be a relatively simple thing to do. Hopefully MS will hear the complaints and just make this issue go away by providing more themes.

#54 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 17 November 2012 - 21:59

Hopefully MS will hear the complaints and just make this issue go away by providing more themes.

LOL...LOL...LOL...Don't get your hopes up too high. I don't think they really care what we think. We are stuck with this crap UI and eventually, they will force us all to upgrade to it by discontinuing support for Office 2010.

I don't know who makes the decisions at Microsoft concerning this UI changes but they need to seriously get fired. This is insulting to the user. They should do a user preview test and let us regular people decide if we like this new Ui or not, not just throw it at our faces and say:

"Here you go, this is what WE like and you are going to use it like that whether you like it or not."

#55 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:09

If it's too bright, I think you'll find there are brightness controls on your display...

#56 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:16

If it's too bright, I think you'll find there are brightness controls on your display...

That's not the point. Why should the user have to dim his/her display just to use Office 2013? Not acceptable. I had never dimmed my display when using version 2010.

#57 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:19

That's not the point. Why should the user have to dim his/her display just to use Office 2013? Not acceptable. I had never dimmed my display when using version 2010.

My point is, if your screen is too bright when white is displayed, you've probably got it set it too bright to begin with. Setting your screen to its brightest possible point isn't the best thing to do mostly. That's unless your environment is particuarly bright.

#58 Buio

Buio

Neowinian

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:29

What's up with the CAPS in the tab headers? Possible to turn off?

#59 Joswin

Joswin

Over a decade on Neowin

• Phone: iPhone 5S 32GB [Gold]

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:30

It seems like in the quest for simplicity Microsoft forgot that people actually have to use it, and look at it for hours on end.... :huh:

Using 2013 was the first time I have ever used a MS Office product and felt like installing the previous version instead.

#60 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:34

The white on white looks pretty abysmal, but looking at the screenshots on Google, the grey themes look a lot better.

I really, really don't understand why the menus are in CAPITALS though. Looks really bad, even in Visual Studio.

Personally Visual Studio 2012 got the "desktop Metro feel" done a lot nicer. Again, drastically scaled down.. you get the general idea. The main focus is white, the rest is a bit darker and everything has easy to see boundaries. Has the Metro "flavor" (minus the menus that YELL at you, turned those off), but it's easier on the eyes.

VS2012 actually looks okay. My only complaint (aside from the SHOUTING MENUS being on by default) is that the iconography is really, really boring. The whole UI is just shades of grey.

What's up with the CAPS in the tab headers? Possible to turn off?

There was a registry setting to turn off the capitalized menus in Visual Studio 2012, hopefully there's one for Office too.