Photo

Office 2013 Interface - Really? This is The Best They Can Do?

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#76 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 18 November 2012 - 00:30

Oh, and whilst I'm here, I doubt this is going to burn your eyes out.

Posted Image

I find the white to be a bit cleaner and not as dismal, though the greys don't look too bad.

#77 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

Posted 18 November 2012 - 00:33

You are all arguing over taste.
I really like the way the new Office looks, but I can understand other people don't

You can't argue over taste or colors!

#78 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 18 November 2012 - 00:39

Luna never looked nice.

I'll admit, the white in most of the Windows 8 stuff is overkill, but all of the other themes look better than 2010. I don't see the problem with all caps menus, tbh, I think that's very common in web interfaces these days to show different buttons levels.

Precisely my point. Luna was horrible and I find these UI designs to be even more so. They look like they'd be more at home in Windows 3.1

#79 Buio

Buio

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2012 - 00:46

Oh look, I even managed to make the ribbon titles lowercase. Well I'll be :p

Goodie.

#80 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 18 November 2012 - 00:50

My Pleasure.

Heh guess I'm the odd one out. Personally preferred VS2012's look over 2010. Even went as far as using the 2010 version of that addon to color it to match 2012 before I upgraded later. Well more or less, some elements obviously just aren't there or couldn't be changed.. fairly close though. Just couldn't get into the blue, felt out of place on my desktop. You got a pretty decent recreation of the 2010 look though for sure, a couple gradients are off and such but pretty close.

#81 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:05

My Pleasure.

Posted Image

Go look in Extensions and Updates. Visual Studio is an extremely flexible and extensible IDE that lets developers more or less do what they wish with it.

Oh, and whilst I'm here, I doubt this is going to burn your eyes out.

Posted Image

Oh look, I even managed to make the ribbon titles lowercase. Well I'll be :p

Does look nice though. Does the image design at the top change depending on what Windows 8 Start Screen wallpaper is being displayed, as in what determines what shows there?

#82 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:09

Does look nice though. Does the image design at the top change depending on what Windows 8 Start Screen wallpaper is being displayed, as in what determines what shows there?

You choose from a list manually, and it will follow you around whenever you sign in with office. I'll admit I'm particularly taken with these cartoon sea beings at the moment :p

Posted Image

Although, my absolute favourite feature (outside the gorgeous lashings of animation), happens to be the full window writing experience. It's quite blissful, and without going entirely fullscreen and taking over your task bar too.

Posted Image

The popup toolbar that shows up next to your mouse is pretty much good enough for most basic formatting tasks, and if you need it - which probably won't be most of the time - the ribbon is only a click away

#83 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:19

Are you color blind or what? This is Outlook 2010

Posted Image

This is Outlook 2013. Can you see the difference? I don't know about you, but to me Outlook 2010 looks way better.

Posted Image

Office 2013 seems unfinished.

like it said, it must be because of crappy monitors and the contrast and colors doesn't make it look good for you or others. mine looks amazing.

and if you still insist on the white not looking good,look at a couple of posts up, someone posted the grey darork grey color scheme,and when you compare those to office 2010, you cant say 2010 looks better,you just cant.

#84 2III7

2III7

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:27

i guess the white interface is eye burning if you have a sun or a nuclear blast for your screen backlight. otherwise seems fine :)

#85 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:31

If it's too bright, I think you'll find there are brightness controls on your display...

That won't work for those complaining for the reasons illustrated in the screenshot. Those generally complaining about brightness yes, but for those wanting the pasteboard contrast, MS should just provide the appropriate themes.

#86 Defcon

Defcon

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:32

Is there some kind of mandate at MS to remove all color, make everything blinding white, and remove all customization options related to UI and color?

Can't change Windows or Office colors, they removed the ability to customize many parts of the UI, its just terrible.

#87 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:39

Precisely my point. Luna was horrible and I find these UI designs to be even more so. They look like they'd be more at home in Windows 3.1

true...

Posted Image

#88 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:39

You can't argue over taste or colors!

You don't know Neowin. :)

#89 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:45

"Windows 8 is trying to be all things to all people, and thus failing to be good at anything in particular, we hope to release software that will make Windows 8 more usable for desktop users, but I’d prefer if Microsoft had a more coherent strategy in the first place."

Brad Wardell, the CEO of Stardock

Jack of all trades, master of none. sums it up in an old saying :)

#90 cropcircles

cropcircles

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:49

Even worse then 2010. That's why I went back to Office 2007

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!