GTA IV not working on Windows 8

win8

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 glashaster

glashaster

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:30

I had the game working perfectly on windows 8 and when I upgraded to 8.1 yesterday it gets stuck on the loading screen. I have tried a few things so far but the same problem is still here.

Anybody seen this problem and can help me?

#17 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 November 2013 - 19:32

I had the game working perfectly on windows 8 and when I upgraded to 8.1 yesterday it gets stuck on the loading screen. I have tried a few things so far but the same problem is still here.

Anybody seen this problem and can help me?

You manage to get this working i've just impulse purchased it on steam sale and it's not working :(

#18 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

Posted 04 November 2013 - 21:11

Managed to get it working, thought i'd post fix since this page comes up on Google when searching..

I encountered 3 separate issues trying to run GTA IV on Windows 8.1
1. Game wouldn't load at all after clicking Play within Social Club
2. Game get stuck with a black screen
3. Game gets stuck on loading screen

I managed to get it going again with the following steps, i reverted my install and ran through it again to verify, i wasn't able to work out which step fixed what, so your best bet to follow each step and hopefully it works for you as well :)

1. Install GTA IV from Steam as normal.

2. Try to launch the game, copy the serial, and let it install its dependencies (WLFG, SecuROM, etc..).. once complete it will bring up social club.

3. Create an account for social club and/or login.. from this point it should be failing to work? If so, read on...

4. Go to Programs & Features and uninstall any Windows Live for Games Redistributable's (there will definitely be at least one)

5. Install the following redistributable: http://go.microsoft..../?LinkID=201134

6. Go to http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live and login with your gamer id / windows live ID. it will ask you to accept new terms.

7. Restart

8. Launch windows live gaming app and login with your gamer id / windows live id

9. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Grand Theft Auto IV\GTAIV\

10. Right click GTAIV.exe, go to properties and click on Compatibility

11. Tick 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and change it to Windows 7.
(maybe do gta4Browser.exe and gtaEncoder.exe for good measure I've not extensive tested yet)

12. Back to steam try to launch the game again, it should bring up Social Club, login again if need be and click Play..

13. The game should now load... on first play it will bring up windows game thing again and ask you to sign to save progress, you will need your cd key again. good luck.

#19 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 04 November 2013 - 21:21

Games for Windows Live is being retired soon, so I'm not sure how GTA IV will operate once it's been shut down. You won't be able to play the game after that point since there's no way for it to authenticate. Some games are jumping to Steamworks and things like that.. I've not heard anything about GTA following suit. Which would be catastrophic for it.. and other games still on that platform.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!