Make Windows 8 ad-free?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 17 November 2012 - 23:39

I see no problems with Ads in the Modern UI apps.. EXCEPT the "Microsoft" branded apps, especially the ones that SHIP included with the OS...

#17 kaotic

kaotic

Neowinian

Posted 17 November 2012 - 23:44

The music app is awful. Full of ads.

Yeah, there's so many. Look at all these ads. http://imgur.com/PT2Fn

Lol. One ad is "full of ads".

#18 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• Phone: iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, iPad Mini

Posted 17 November 2012 - 23:50

I like people saying the ad's are fine..

If they were in 3rd party apps, then ya, I'd agree, it's their call how they support their releases.. but they are in Microsoft Apps that are part of Windows 8.. It would be like a Banner ad at the top of Windows Explorer in 7, or in Notepad, Calc, etc.

Also, to the person who said the ad's aren't in Canada, that's flat out wrong. I see them on my Windows 8 Tablet, and VM all the time..

#19 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 17 November 2012 - 23:53

I see no problems with Ads in the Modern UI apps.. EXCEPT the "Microsoft" branded apps, especially the ones that SHIP included with the OS...

How do you think they kept the cost of Windows fairly low compared to other versions? ;)

#20 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 17 November 2012 - 23:59

Best way to get rid of the ads: Install Windows 7.

Profound wisdom :happy:

#21 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 18 November 2012 - 00:01

How do you think they kept the cost of Windows fairly low compared to other versions? ;)

Erm probably by removing large chunks of code and replacing it with pretty basic/simple equivilents that makes not an incredly different from W7.
98/2000 -> XP was a BIG jump.
XP -> Vista was a big jump, it was done very poorly like tried to cram too much in instead of spacing it out
Vista -> 7 wasn't a huge jump, it added quite a bit and fixed all the vista problems
7 -> 8 not much in it, loads of code removed, some 'apps' added and a new start screen with slight update to WDDM. Which probably explains why a it's cheap upgrade.

#22 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 18 November 2012 - 00:19

Best way to get rid of the ads: Install Windows 7.

Oh look. this guy again. Still whining about Windows 8.

#23 Doli

Doli

Goo ball

Posted 18 November 2012 - 00:21

This thing about the music app is that it is more than just a music player, it is also a front end to their music store so having a very small ad informing people about upgrading to Music Pass is not that bad.

#24 RandPC

RandPC

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:18

It's cheap to get people into using Metro, if they use Metro heavily then it's pure profit.
All Metro apps mean money to Microsoft since you can't buy any apps except from MS's store. Microsoft's pay-in services are also integrated into Win8 which is another means for extra revenue that wasn't there directly through the OS previously.
Even without advertising entirely there is WAY more potential profit for Microsoft through Win8 then ever before. As long as you use Metro to a large extent that Microsoft can easily make more profit here then ever before even with a heavily discounted up front purchase price. It's the whole reason why vendor lock-in and app stores work.
If you use the desktop then Microsoft isn't making much from you at all, but just getting you onto the platform and ensuring your aware of and see Metro is a major step forward for them. Once they have then then your a potential customer and more easily incentivized to using Metro.

Throwing all the advertising in the world into desktop apps isn't going to drive revenues like Metro can with dedicated Microsoft pay-in services accessible at launch on the start screen with movies, music, games etc from them. These existed before but weren't there out of the box, and all of your app purchases mean money to them before as well. Whereas previously software purchases never involved MS unless you were buying from MS directly. Everything you use and everything you view or listen to can mean money given to Microsoft.
Money from advertising is penny ante compared to everything else. It's nice, but not a major revenue driver. A giant banner advertisement in Explorer on the desktop doesn't offer nearly the same potential revenue gains.

Metro usage effectively subsidizes the up front cost of the OS. It's not much different then contracts subsidizing smartphone prices.
Once the majority of people already have/use an OS with Metro then they can worry about driving revenue directly through OS purchases again. But right now that's almost certainly a secondary concern.

#25 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:22

And I'd be hard pressed to even call that advertising... it's telling you about a feature of the application you're actually using! :p

#26 +Martog

Martog

Snow Leopard Extraodinaire

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:45

Erm probably by removing large chunks of code and replacing it with pretty basic/simple equivilents that makes not an incredly different from W7.
98/2000 -> XP was a BIG jump.
XP -> Vista was a big jump, it was done very poorly like tried to cram too much in instead of spacing it out
Vista -> 7 wasn't a huge jump, it added quite a bit and fixed all the vista problems
7 -> 8 not much in it, loads of code removed, some 'apps' added and a new start screen with slight update to WDDM. Which probably explains why a it's cheap upgrade.

Actually 95/98/ME to XP was a monumental jump due to ditching the 9x codebase, compared to 2000 to XP, which was still big, but not as big as the 9x as XP is the successor to 2000 as far as codebase goes

#27 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:00

Hello,

The 'Microsoft MVP Hosts File' is maintained by winhelp2002, who was a Microsoft MVP for thirteen years. Chances are, if Microsoft felt there was some danger in it, they would not have kept re-awarding him.

Keep in mind that the hosts file is text file, and can easily be viewed in Notepad or some other text editor. Also, you can always make a backup copy of your own hosts file before substituting or appending this one to it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

P.S. Potential bias alert: I am a Microsoft MVP, too.

Because free apps make money that way..

Is it safe to use? I mean yeah, you just replace your Windows hosts file with theirs and make your PC completely ad-free.
But, have they blacklisted anything except from ads?

#28 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• Phone: iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, iPad Mini

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:32

Hello,

The 'Microsoft MVP Hosts File' is maintained by winhelp2002, who was a Microsoft MVP for thirteen years. Chances are, if Microsoft felt there was some danger in it, they would not have kept re-awarding him.

Keep in mind that the hosts file is text file, and can easily be viewed in Notepad or some other text editor. Also, you can always make a backup copy of your own hosts file before substituting or appending this one to it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

P.S. Potential bias alert: I am a Microsoft MVP, too.

Well it used to block most ads in MS products I used before, like Messenger..

In anycase, find out the adserver and then add it to the hostfile yourself..

#29 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:59

That's not the only ad in the Music app. It also plays audio/video ads while streaming music which would maybe be acceptable if it worked properly. Unfortunately I've had ads interrupt my music when I'm playing it from my own library because, for some unknown reason, it thinks it should be playing some songs from the cloud.

#30 Seketh

Seketh

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2012 - 20:37

Do ads still come up while streaming music if you actually pay for Xbox Music?