Judge Sentences Teen to Church

oklahoma manslaughter underage drinking

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 68k

Neowinian Senior

• 2,039 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:04

I would have made the sentence a public lashing lasting at least 10 minutes - now that's punishment. People get away with things too easily today.

#32 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:06

Indeed. There are a few countries were public punishment and shaming still happen...and those countries have very low crime rates. People HATE being shamed in front of everyone.

#33 TechJunkie81

TechJunkie81

Neowinian

• 393 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:08

He should pick Peter Griffin's "Church of the Fonze".

#34 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:09

Forcing your religious views on someone is wrong!

I know right. The kid is better off rotting in jail then going to a church. Damn people and their forceful ways /s

#35 mmjm

mmjm

Neowinian

• 127 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:11

Well it's Oklahoma, not surprising at all although when I lived there I had to go to church a few times, just by observing I don't think going to church fixed half of the congreation's... issues. And in Arkansas I had people tell me their particular brand of Christianity was right and mine was wrong. :pinch:

On other hand, the Founding Fathers were largely masons. Masons cannot be atheist, they have to hold some belief in a deity to be part of the masonic order. I think it was Jefferson who was a deist and staunchly anti-religion of any kind

I know right. The kid is better off rotting in jail then going to a church. Damn people and their forceful ways /s

the kid might also be an atheist...

#36 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

• 13,211 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:23

He's not assuming everyone is religious. The point is not to make the person to believe in a god, but to try and make them think about their life and the impact on others. Churches are good places for self reflection.

But there is secular help and there are secular places that are good places for self-reflection, so why did this have to be a church?

#37 @Leo

@Leo

Under Derp Patrol

• 606 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:15

This. The judge is assuming everyone is religious, which is fundamentally wrong. The judge is also telling the person to provide service only to a select part of the community in which he offended, not the community as a whole. Quite shocking, I certainly hope the article is only the half-truth...

Only in uhhmerica.

#38 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• 3,003 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:04

Judge will twist if he decides on a devil worshipping / spiritualist church :p

I would go for a buddist temple I mean fml poor guy all he did was kill someone and he has to suffer church :/ what the judge did should be illegal

#39 S00N3R FR3AK

S00N3R FR3AK

Champion

• 1,742 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:45

I like it, most Sunday sermons deal with the moral lessons of the Bible, and prison is not the best place to rehab everyone.

#40 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,339 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:02

Judges don't make laws, no law respecting the establishment of any religion was made here. Nice try quoting the phrase that doesn't exist anywhere in America's foundational documents though. (Y)

That's inaccurate. Under English Common Law, the system that American jurisprudence is based upon, Judges do make law. As such, American Judges do create law.

It is the ugly side of the system... A wart if you will.

#41 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

• 1,225 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:34

Forcing your religious views on someone is wrong!

He could have sent him in the military instead. :)