Will Staples' New Win8 Ad Campaign Offend Customers & Microsoft?

staples-dad.jpg

Staples' doofus dad.

Microsoft's new Windows 8 operating system -- featuring "live" tiles instead of the folders we're all used to -- is supposed to be simple enough that after a brief period of experimental tapping, clicking and swiping users should be able to figure out how it works.

Staples, however, is assuming the opposite: that many, many customers will be baffled by the new system.

In a set of new commercials from McCann, Staples is offering free Windows 8 Training to anyone who buys a new machine there. The commercial features a doofus dad -- that's you, computer buyer! -- who gets the cold shoulder from his sulky teenage son when he asks for some help with Windows 8. The dad is forced to go to Staples for training.

Staples' commercial is unusual because it basically features one big brand (Staples) asserting that another brand it's in business with (Microsoft) has made a product that's too complicated for customers to understand on their own. That kind of backhanded slam almost never happens in the marketing business.

Here's the spot:

http://www.businessi...s-8-ads-2012-11

Ad is not the problem *hint hint*

Smart son by the way... Once you help once, you help for a lifetime... :p

At least my mom's rather intelligent most of the time so the help-desk only works part-time :D

Also, my dad is rather tech savvy, helps things a bit, too. :p

Glassed Silver:mac

This is going to offend someone? Really?

In fairness, people ARE going to need help transitioning to Windows 8, it's a jarring change. It's smart business to take advantage of that and offer help, even if it will be overpriced and underwhelming.

My initial reaction: the dad seems spineless and lets his son walk all over him. It looks like the son still lives at home (paid by parents), uses internet (paid by parents), most likely uses a cell (paid by parents), eats food (paid by parents) and the son can't answer some computer questions by the parents? I realize it was all in jest , but no parent should have to go back to a retail store for questions when there is a capable person in the house. This applies to any OS (even the abomination we call Windows 8).

That article had me all ready for some insulting ad calling the consumer stupid, but I didn't see a damn thing wrong with it. In fact I was more offended by the article than by the ad.

• Like 3

My initial reaction: the dad seems spineless and lets his son walk all over him. It looks like the son still lives at home (paid by parents), uses internet (paid by parents), most likely uses a cell (paid by parents), eats food (paid by parents) and the son can't answer some computer questions by the parents? I realize it was all in jest , but no parent should have to go back to a retail store for questions when there is a capable person in the house. This applies to any OS (even the abomination we call Windows 8).

It may be sad but I see kids do their parents this way every day.

2z59nh4.jpg

Because in the United States of America a son would never treat his father like that and every single person knows about Windows 8.

God bless America and no place else.

:laugh:

Because in the United States of America a son would never treat his father like that and every single person knows about Windows 8.

God bless America and no place else.

that is just so hillarious