• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 20 November 2012 - 14:05

Well I went to AT&T and got the S3 just to see if I like it and it's an impressive piece of hardware. It only has Android 4.04 and can't be updated further. I have a Nexus 4 coming and will probably keep that and return my Samsung within the 14 days. This Samsung just doesn't have a pure Android like my Nexus 7 and it's not running Jellybean. I'm not even so sure anymore if the LTE is a deal breaker and I'll use the Nexus based on the valuable feedback here.

On a side note, the Samsung is EXTREMELY hard to type on. It keeps changing my words and it takes me a very long time to send a simple text message.

#32 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

Posted 20 November 2012 - 14:47

One more thing:When I get the Nexus, is it sufficient just to put in the SIM card or will I need AT&T to do something?

#33 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 20 November 2012 - 15:08

On a side note, the Samsung is EXTREMELY hard to type on. It keeps changing my words and it takes me a very long time to send a simple text message.

The beauty of Android is there are plenty of keyboards you can install, and choose what you like. Swiftkey is a great 3rd party keyboard, with phenomenal text predictions. I also dig the stock 4.2 keyboard with swype like abilities.

#34 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

Posted 20 November 2012 - 15:15

Updates for the SGSIII to Android 4.1 are on their way. Personally I'd wait for them to iron the bugs in 4.2 before upgrading to it.

#35 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

Posted 20 November 2012 - 19:38

Updates for the SGSIII to Android 4.1 are on their way. Personally I'd wait for them to iron the bugs in 4.2 before upgrading to it.

I kind of understand this since I've been seeing my Nexus 7 rebooting at random times.

I've started to look at the 3rd party keyboards and Swiftkey is very nice. That swipe keyboard seems cool once you get used to it. the swipe keyboard os in Jellybean only right?

#36 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 November 2012 - 19:41

I've started to look at the 3rd party keyboards and Swiftkey is very nice. That swipe keyboard seems cool once you get used to it. the swipe keyboard os in Jellybean only right?

The stock keyboard with swype like abilities is in Jelly Bean 4.2 (not to be confused with Jelly Bean 4.1.x)

#37 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

Posted 21 November 2012 - 18:18

Got my Google nexus 4 today. Boy were you guys right. Amazing phone.

#38 +AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 21 November 2012 - 20:26

Glad to hear it! I'm jealous!

And yeah, I think you already figured it out, but all you have to do is pop in the SIM.

#39 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

Posted 21 November 2012 - 22:17

Yep tossed in the SIM and I was good. Syncing apps and stuff. This little device is great. I've been using it and my Nexus 7 and have barely touched my iPad

#40 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:42

Question on the Nexus phone. Doesn't it have visual voicemail? All I get is when I slide down for my notificatations a 900 number to call for my voice mail. I thought most phones these days had visual voice mail.

#41 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:11

Visual Voicemail is an Apple thing. Outside of that all the carriers that support it have their own app, Google Voice supposedly has that functionality but I can't confirm.

#42 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 November 2012 - 13:59

Yes, Google Voice is free and has visual voice mail, as well as other features.

#43 Julius Caro

Julius Caro

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 November 2012 - 14:32

apparently the chip on the nexus4 does indeed have seven-band LTE. dont think the rest of the device was designed around this fact, I will never expect LTE support on it. but it's a funny fact given how bad this phone has been beaten because of the lack of LTE

#44 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

Posted 22 November 2012 - 14:48

Yeah after poking around trhe net a little I discovered and set up Google Voice. Extremely cool and actually way better than Apple Visual mail. it seems as though Google Voice offers you the option of using it to make your phone calls too. I'm not sure what that even means. It would use Google Voice to call instead of AT&T? What's the advantage to that?

#45 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google

Posted 22 November 2012 - 16:55

I switched the iPhone5 to the S3 just this past weekend Pat and I really missed Visual Voicemail as well. I in the past have used Google Voice, but I actually like YouMail better. Only real reason though, is because if you have the person callings number saved in your contacts under a name, it will call them by name. For example if you call me and I have you saved as Pat Guin at 867-5309 when you call it will say " Sorry Pat, Smeltn can't come to the phone right now, but please leave a message, etc.. " Its petty I know, but I like it.

Youmail

In case you do decide to use Google Voice here is a cool tweak

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!