41 posts in this topic

Posted

[size=6][b]SAMSUNG SMART PC (XE500T) REVIEW[/b][/size]
[b]How I learned to love the Atom[/b]
[size=2][color=#000000][b]Reviewed by Osiris[/b][/color][/size]

[b][img]http://imageshack.us/a/img87/6204/samsungsmartpc2.png[/img][/b]

[b]Background[/b]

For the last decade I have had an ongoing, on and off again, love hate relationship with Windows based tablets. Some of these tablets have included and spanned hefty Windows XP tablets, tiny Vista based tablets right through to modern more effective Windows 7 tablets. Despite these varieties and many more shapes and sizes, typically over this time the same limits have persistently dogged these tablets; poor battery life, heavy weight, poor performance and high niche pricing. In many instances the latter two were forgivable; however trying to use a tablet for day to day, study or business purposes with the first two deficiencies makes it an uphill - and often - inconvenient battle.

With the advent of Windows 8 another era of hope and optimism dawns over the Windows tablet landscape. Promises of light devices providing all day battery, choices of performance at all levels and a true windows experience in a mobile platform abound. I am familiar with these promises from almost every generation of Windows tablets since their inception, the question is could this year finally be the year it all comes true?

The short answer is Yes
8 people like this

Posted

[b]Tablets, selecting the right tool for the job in the age of compromise[/b]

This is somewhat separate from the review but I want to take a moment to just talk about selecting the right tablet pc as some of the questions floating around and consumer perception has me concerned.

The power of this new generation of tablets from the RT, atom right through to the pro based ones is impressive and lays the ground work for what I suspect will be the start of a Windows tablet resurgence. That being said, there is no
1 person likes this

Posted

Nice article :o

EDIT::
If I might just ask, what's the price for one of these guys? O.o

Posted

Agreed, great job!

Posted

[quote name='articuno1au' timestamp='1353220380' post='595329700']
Nice article :o

EDIT::
If I might just ask, what's the price for one of these guys? O.o
[/quote]

Cheers, it retails for circa $893 AUD with dock.

Posted

Very nice review.

Posted

Great review.

In regards to hibernation, I think Windows 8 turns this on by default because it's used for the new sleep mode. An easy way to check is to install windirstat and see if the hiberfile is present and taking up disk space.

Posted

Awesome review, added to main http://www.neowin.net/news/member-reviews-samsung-smart-pc-xe500t (Y)

Posted

I was looking at one of these, but the "optional" 3G/LTE is not available from anywhere. I'm thinking that this is another case of Australia not having the same options as everywhere else.

Posted

Nice review, especially on the digitizer. I was looking for that info. Too bad it hasn't got an eraser button/option, but maybe that's not a big of a deal in most painting apps. But to be honest, I hardly use the eraser button on my tablet.

Anything on covers for this one, as the plastic back looks like it will not survive a week without scratches....

rob

Posted

VLC for video decoding isn't exactly a good choice. VLC player does some funny sh*t to the HD videos hence it's always has lower CPU usage than other decoders. There has been a few topics that I have posted in when people talk about VLC. If you want to see a real comparison then try using some LAV filters or FFDShow, though I might add LAV ones are better (more faster decoding).

Posted

[quote name='Dutchie64' timestamp='1353239754' post='595329994']
Nice review, especially on the digitizer. I was looking for that info. Too bad it hasn't got an eraser button/option, but maybe that's not a big of a deal in most painting apps. But to be honest, I hardly use the eraser button on my tablet.

Anything on covers for this one, as the plastic back looks like it will not survive a week without scratches....

rob
[/quote]

Hi Rob, yeah im a bit the same, you can always purchase a $20 thinkpad stylus off ebay and the eraser will work but of course wouldn't fit the SIlo etc.

Yes cases are starting to flow from Belkin and Incipto, folio ones anyway

Belkin: [url="http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/accessories/cases/sku6280773.html#fbid=RpqlJqMOKYw"]http://www.att.com/s...bid=RpqlJqMOKYw[/url]
Incipio: [url="http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/accessories/cases/sku6320420.html#fbid=RpqlJqMOKYw"]http://www.att.com/s...bid=RpqlJqMOKYw[/url]

Posted

Thanks for the review!

Regarding gaming performance, I'm still seeing Atom Z2760 machines as a platform for legacy games. For a specific audience, this is an added value. :)

Could you please try out the following games (or similar ones):
- Master of Orion II (was smooth on my 300 MHz Intel Celeron CPU in 1998)
- Jagged Alliance 2 (was smooth on the same machine)
- Starcraft I (was smooth on the same machine)
- Startopia (should rather require sth. around Pentium 4 w/ low-end dedicated graphics at that time, had this kind of machine in 2004)
- Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (same with last machine - will probably make the device have an instant fan base)

you can get these games (all except for Starcraft I) via GOG.COM .

Please let me know if the price on the website is an issue. Maybe the guys will give you free access

Posted

Hi Chris, im still sceptical of these being good tools for gaming but I actually have MOO2 and SC1 laying around somewhere so will test those for you.

Posted

Hi Osiris,

thanks for the links. I like the Incipio cover a lot.

This ATIV is probably the best option out there, if you're looking for battery life - and- some painting/note taking capabilities.
It will not replace my workstation, so the lesser 'umph' for graphics/video will not bother me.
Running your regular Windows apps too is great, and I can see myself running my ebook library on this, as some painting apps, in addition to OneNote and Evernote. Especially the Metro OneNote is great!

I only wish there was an option to buy it without the keyboard dock, so far I couldn't find a shop that was over here.

rob

Posted

[quote name='Christoph Kung' timestamp='1353241675' post='595330040']
Thanks for the review!

Regarding gaming performance, I'm still seeing Atom Z2760 machines as a platform for legacy games. For a specific audience, this is an added value. :)
[/quote]

Hi Chris, I have just stuffed around with some of the games was a timely reminder of why I hate legacy games and all the stuffing around :p nevertheless, results:
* Starcraft installs, loads etc, some funny elements on the menu lag but seems playable however being limited to 800x600 makes it somewhat unplayable as it doesn't go full screen.
* Orion 2 couldn't get to work just a heap of errors, tried a few things wasn't gonna happen
* Masters of orion worked fine through dosbox, I think you could do the same for 2 but I'm out of time to play around.

[quote name='Dutchie64' timestamp='1353244009' post='595330102']
I only wish there was an option to buy it without the keyboard dock, so far I couldn't find a shop that was over here.

rob
[/quote]

haha thats pretty funny, not sure where you are but in the States they are struggling to find models that have the keyboard. Staples etc all have without keyboard. But yeah same thing in Aus looks like all the SKU's coming here are for with keyboard. Same with the Asus 810.

Posted

Thanks for testing! Looks like performance is not the issue, but still requires considerable tweaking.

Posted

Yeah, that is kinda funny ;-)

I'm in Europe, Netherlands to be specific. The keyboard isn't that useful to me, and it has no additional battery in there to make it even more so-so..

Posted

[quote name='Dutchie64' timestamp='1353249619' post='595330254']
Yeah, that is kinda funny ;-)

I'm in Europe, Netherlands to be specific. The keyboard isn't that useful to me, and it has no additional battery in there to make it even more so-so..
[/quote]

I don't mind it not having a battery, keeps it nice and light but I find myself not using it too often. With the Asus/HP and other docks you will find you have to use them more due to no usb on the tablet, but yeah the battery in the dock is nice for the extension it gives you.

Posted

Hey would you be able to tell me how much free space you after you have everything setup? I know Windows should take around 20 GB so this should leave you with ~40 GB. Am I right on that?

Also, even though hibernation is on for the fast cold boot. You can also turn on standby/sleep for when the system is idle.

Posted

If you are in the market for a tablet that has options for stylus, desktop dock and removable keyboard ... you are not going to be happy with what you find. At least none of the consumer oriented Windows 8 tablets I am aware of offer a decent desktop dock accessory (power, video, audio, usb, ethernet). Samsung's Ativ Smart PC has all its ports in the tablet body which means you will be fiddling with their port covers all the time if you want to dock it regularly. Samsung's developer Series 7 tablet from last year had a dock so it is beyond me why they wouldn't announce such an accessory with the launch of Ativ Smart PC. Hopefully this changes soon with more offerings next year.

Posted

[quote][b]Conclusion about the Smart PC Pro[/b][/quote]

A little mistake there, "Pro".

Posted

Thanks for the review. The first in depth review I've seen so far. I was very interested in this model, but after a few hands-on experiences I came away disappointed. For one, I found the inking to be anything but lag free. In every time I've tried it, ink always showed up about 1/2-3/4 inch behind the pen. Maybe it was because of the S-Memo app?

Also the device was much larger than I expected, holding it one-handed in landscape was pretty impossible unless you cradled it. Build quality was also pretty low, feeling very plasticy. It's like they took the same build quality of my Galaxy S3 but applied it to a device 10x larger and heavier. It just doesn't feel solid at all.

And having the larger screen and low res made it more pixelated than the Surface let alone an ipad or even android tablets.

I guess I've no choice but to wait for the Surface Pro and pay twice as much.

Posted

[quote name='eddman' timestamp='1353274914' post='595331206']
A little mistake there, "Pro".
[/quote]

Ah bugger wish I could edit that. A lot of tablet info floating around my heads at the moment, sorry about that.

[quote name='icwhatudidthere' timestamp='1353276409' post='595331250']
Thanks for the review. The first in depth review I've seen so far. I was very interested in this model, but after a few hands-on experiences I came away disappointed. For one, I found the inking to be anything but lag free. In every time I've tried it, ink always showed up about 1/2-3/4 inch behind the pen. Maybe it was because of the S-Memo app?

Also the device was much larger than I expected, holding it one-handed in landscape was pretty impossible unless you cradled it. Build quality was also pretty low, feeling very plasticy. It's like they took the same build quality of my Galaxy S3 but applied it to a device 10x larger and heavier. It just doesn't feel solid at all.

And having the larger screen and low res made it more pixelated than the Surface let alone an ipad or even android tablets.

I guess I've no choice but to wait for the Surface Pro and pay twice as much.
[/quote]

Yes as mentioned the metro based inking apps for some reason lag but theres plenty of youtube footage showing that the inking in OneNote etc is flawless. As for build quality I think its all subjective a little, I agree the back is plasticy and surface like build would be great but im not sure when metal alloy casing became the benchmark for a solid build or not, for me despite a plastic backing I contend its solidly built.

I think the 11.6" will be an issue for some but look im not a body builder by any means but I haven't had any issues with using the device on handed in either landscape or portrait mode. I guess what I wanted to highlight more than anything and it kind of goes to the sub-title of the article, is that the Clover trail atom processor is very capable and I think will do the job for quite a lot of tasks people might use a tablet for or want to be mobile with. Theres also Lenovo and Dell atom options that come in at 10" which will likely have the better build quality.

But as alluded to in the second post, if extra weight and lesser battery life is not an issue for you then yeah you can get the FHD screens on the pro or oem pro models but the trades off for those are weight, lesser battery life and the price as you mentioned.

Posted

Great review!

After reading this, I finnaly deceided to go with desktop + atom tablet route. From what you say, and judging by some youtube videos, atom should be plenty powerful for my mobile/couch needs. And vivotab is way too expensive.

I will be traveling to USA in january, so I am wondering if someone can give me an advice where to buy this?
I searched a bit and found a mall that has tigerdirect retail place (compUSA?) right around the airport. So that's probably my first stop upon arrival :)
So my question is, is it possible for me, as a foreinger, to make sure they have a tablet in stock on a certain date? to make a reservation?

Also, while i'm at it, is there a special proceadure i need to follow concernign first battery load/cycle?

I hate hijacking a thread with off topic questions, but i had to :(