When was the last time you bought glasses?

I bought mine at the beginning of the month. Before that, it was 2007. I believe you're supposed to get your eyes checked once every 2 years. I haven't had mine checked in 5 years and my prescription has changed.

Anyway, my new glasses drastically improved my vision. It improved it so much that I'm noticing things I never used to notice like small details in my furniture. And the colour variations in the leaves outside. It also made it much easier to read text on my monitor. My old glasses did a decent job at correcting my vision but compared to my new ones, it feels like my vision was highly impaired.

I ordered my glasses online from SmartBuyGlasses.ca. This is the exact model I bought: Burberry BE2086

2dw9b8p.jpg

The reason I bought glasses online is the price. I found that glasses are much cheaper online than they are at places like LensCrafters or Hakim Optical. For example, the glasses I bought would have costed me $225 CAD (excluding the price of the lens and coating). My total with the price of the lenses and coating came up to $215 CAD. Not bad for designer eye-wear.

So, when was the last time you bought glasses?

I've never even had an eye test, but I definitely know I need glasses. I've tried some friends glasses and wow, what an improvement.

I've missed 2 appointments at Walmart for an eye test, but I already have the frames picked out there that I want. Just gotta get around to the test.

It's really frustrating for me especially when it comes to typing and reading on computer, since I'm actually sitting on my couch around 15 feet from my 47 inch tv.

Text is so blurry I strain to view it and it drives me nuts. Sometimes I get headaches from straining to hard to read.

A year and a half ago. I got a cheap pair just to wear at home since I wear contact lenses whenever I go out.

I considered contact lenses but I know I'd get tired of having to put them on when I get up and take them off at night.

Stole them from the pub last night :)

Are you serious? :laugh:

About 9 years ago, but then I got LASIK :p

I don't think I'll ever get LASIK eye surgery because of the price and potential side effects. When did you get the surgery done? And did you have any complications?

I've never even had an eye test, but I definitely know I need glasses. I've tried some friends glasses and wow, what an improvement.

I've missed 2 appointments at Walmart for an eye test, but I already have the frames picked out there that I want. Just gotta get around to the test.

It's really frustrating for me especially when it comes to typing and reading on computer, since I'm actually sitting on my couch around 15 feet from my 47 inch tv.

Text is so blurry I strain to view it and it drives me nuts. Sometimes I get headaches from straining to hard to read.

The sooner you get glasses, the better. Straining your eyes like that isn't good. What's stopping you from getting your eyes checked? A standard eye exam shouldn't last longer than 15 minutes. The worst part of an eye exam, in my opinion, is the corneal reflex test. And it's not even that bad. They'll either blow air onto your eyes or touch it with something.

Your eyes will feel more relaxed when your vision is corrected. Everything will look so much more sharper and detailed. I used to not wear my glasses whenever I went out and I didn't get any headaches from reading street signs (while walking) or reading a menu at a restaurant. My new glasses made me realize how bad my vision was to begin with. The difference is so noticeable that it's unpleasant. And my prescription (to correct nearsightedness [myopia]) isn't even that strong.

scaramonga, on 18 November 2012 - 09:02, said:

Stole them from the pub last night :)

Anaron

Are you serious? :laugh:

I presume that he is referring to the fact that "glasses" are things you drink out of and "spectacles" are what you put on your face!

I don't think I'll ever get LASIK eye surgery because of the price and potential side effects. When did you get the surgery done? And did you have any complications?

I had it done in late 2004 when I was 19. I had no complications, and in fact, my sister had it done a few months before me and my father had it done at the same time as me and all of them went great with no problems. The technology has come a long way since then, too. No more slicing your cornea with a blade, it's all done with a laser now which significantly reduces healing time and risk.

I will say that one of my eyes is getting a little blurry again and I may end up getting another surgery next year. The way I see it, even if it only lasts 9-10 years (which it shouldn't), the cost overall will be less than 10 years of eye exams, glasses, and contacts. Not to mention what it's worth being able to wake up and see the clock :)

I presume that he is referring to the fact that "glasses" are things you drink out of and "spectacles" are what you put on your face!

Ah, I see. No one says "spectacles" in North America. It's glasses or eye-wear. :p

Those burberry ones look great.

Thanks! It's the first designer frame I looked at and it was love at first sight. My last glasses were semi-rimless so I wanted to get a full-rimmed one to change up my style. It looks great on people with oval-shaped faces (like me).

I had it done in late 2004 when I was 19. I had no complications, and in fact, my sister had it done a few months before me and my father had it done at the same time as me and all of them went great with no problems. The technology has come a long way since then, too. No more slicing your cornea with a blade, it's all done with a laser now which significantly reduces healing time and risk.

I will say that one of my eyes is getting a little blurry again and I may end up getting another surgery next year. The way I see it, even if it only lasts 9-10 years (which it shouldn't), the cost overall will be less than 10 years of eye exams, glasses, and contacts. Not to mention what it's worth being able to wake up and see the clock :)

It's tempting when you put it that way. But it's way out of my price range at the moment. I'll consider it the next time I need to get glasses.

Ah, I see. No one says "spectacles" in North America. It's glasses or eye-wear. :p

All good, glad to hear that the new "pair" are doing their thing, it makes such a difference when you don't have to battle to see what you are doing! :) I wear reading "glasses" :D and absolutely cannot live without them.

? month ago, though fashion sunglasses :p went to the ophthalmologist and said that only buy prescription glasses if I had headaches or had to squint really hard, since I've only .15 on both eyes of myopia and astigmatism(Sp?)

A couple of years before my surgery, which was a deciding reason in doing it.

I bought my last sets( two sets one regular one with sun shade glasses) at specsavers because they where cheap. At this point I has also gotten into photography. And I would rather live without the chromatic aberration glasses gives you.

Sure had I bought glasses at a more expensive place, may e the glass wouldn't give the aberration, but no optometrist at any other store could say this for sure, in fact most didn't even know what chromatic aberration was...

My first pair was early 2005, current pair dates back to early 2010 but I really need a new pair, they're full of scratches and it's a bit annoying.

2010. In 2011 I switched to daily contacts and then shortly after that I got continuous wear contact lenses. I put the lenses in at the start of the month, sleep with them in and then remove them at the end for a new pair. I always hated the burden of glasses.

Probably a year and a half... Before my current glasses I only got new lenses and before THAT, well.. those were my first pair of glasses and I got those about in 7th grade...

I started off with pretty bad vision, but it didn't get much worse.

I'm really happy it's stagnating and I hope it stays that way.

At first I didn't like having to wear glasses and I put them away whenever I didn't totally need them, now I often fall asleep with them and they are kind of a must have on my face.

I prefer my face a lot more with my glasses on. :)

Glassed Silver:mac

3.5 years ago. Some unknown brand not even Google can find, with plastic lenses that, sadly, have quite deteriorated because I can't be arsed to properly take care of things (also because it's plastic, but self-loathing must take priority). I've been wanting to get new ones for a while now, but can't afford, being that my priorities are wrong and, of course, because the damn things cost too much as it is.

Add that I'd like to have thinner, high-index lenses - bah, costs too much. Coated glass ones, so that they don't scratch - bah, costs too much. Probably photochromics that don't suck - bah, costs too much. Or probably rimless - bah, costs too much. And makes one look like a lawyer, a yuppie - and I despise/hate/envy yuppies!

At least now I get to just drop them at times, and wear cheap clip-on shades even when it's cloudy outside so as to hide my eyes...

I have to replace my lenses every year and my frames every other year. I have rather poor eye site caused by a genetic disorder that messes with my pupils. As I get older my eye site gets worse just at a rather quick pace. 25 years old and I have tri focal glasses.

I made it to 45 before I started needing them to read...so far walmart 1.5+ is doing the trick...no need to spend more than that as long as I can still spot a gnat on a dogs butt at 25 yards. I just can't see one clearly 6 inches from my face. :laugh: