why is the nexus 7 so cheap?

I suspect the idea is, they sell the device at cost, and get you when you starting buying movies/apps/music from their play store.

These things don't cost what they usually sell for.

Same ploy amazon is using with the kindle fire.

That doesn't include delivery to about ?10 - also I doubt Google make much if any money off it, it's about practically giving the devices away to get you into their ecosystem.

Up till now tablet development for Android wasn't picking up. My guess is that Google are selling these either at or very near to cost in order to get developers and consumers invested in their tablet ecosystem. And why the heck not, they're amazing tablets for the price being charged!

Not only does google probably not make any on this, but I can inform you that the stores selling them don't make any on them either, at best. in some cases it's actually sold at a loss for the store.

Google doesn't care if they break even or lose a little money on these tablets because they more than make it up with the ads displayed on the tablets.

Says someone who obviously doesn't have an Android tablet... What ads are you talking about? :s

• Like 1

I would say the Nexus 7 is reasonably priced for what it is. I wouldn't call it incredibly cheap, but it's just good value for what you get.

And the only tablet I'm aware of that has an overabundance of Ads is the Kindle Fire. Avoid like the plague.

Tho I Don't have a Nexus, I do have a Note and so far, not aware of, or haven't noticed these Ads that have been mentioned, I was and am still thinking of getting a couple of Nexus devices, to give to my kids, if they break it, then I know not only have i suffered an expensive loss, I'll know how my kids would have treated the iPads they keep asking me for :p

(this was part of the deal, if they can show me they can look after these, I'll consider the iPads)

• Like 1