Laptop Recommendation

Hello Everyone,

I have been tasked with getting a laptop for our daughter for christmas, we are looking at spending around ?300.

She will be using the laptop for the usual things, Office, Internet, Homework that kind of thing.

I had found this laptop - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/asus-x501u-xx039h-15-6-laptop-white-17056517-pdt.html but i notice that ASUS are not offering any downgrade options from Windows 8 to Windows 7, i am concerned that it will be very different from what she is using at school etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations or some advice on what i could go for?

Thanks

Rich

Hello Everyone,

I have been tasked with getting a laptop for our daughter for christmas, we are looking at spending around ?300.

She will be using the laptop for the usual things, Office, Internet, Homework that kind of thing.

I had found this laptop - http://www.pcworld.c...056517-pdt.html but i notice that ASUS are not offering any downgrade options from Windows 8 to Windows 7, i am concerned that it will be very different from what she is using at school etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations or some advice on what i could go for?

Thanks

Rich

If you install start8 ($5) on win8 it will literally be the same as windows 7 and to what she will probably have at school, start8 disables the hot corners and can boot directly to the desktop, hiding completely the start screen.

If you install start8 ($5) on win8 it will literally be the same as windows 7 and to what she will probably have at school, start8 disables the hot corners and can boot directly to the desktop, hiding completely the start screen.

Well that is interesting, i didn't even know that such a product existed. This could most definitely be a deal sealer.

Sorry i can't help but i'm just replying in this as i'd like to know the same too. I'm thinking of buying a laptop too while Win7 is still being sold on laptops, because i really can't stand the look of Win8.

There are still quite a lot of Windows 7 laptops on the market at the moment. If you don't want to use 8 i'd advise buying in the next couple of months before OEMs begin the switchover

Out of interest - what brand of budget laptops would you recommend?

I remember being advised AGAINST Acer a few years ago, but we've had 2 of them & they've always been fine.