New System & Windows 8

I am about to purchase Windows 8 Pro Upgrade through Microsoft upgrade advisor program. I know how to do a clean install with that, but my concern is a whole new system.

I will be installing it on my current system, but I will likely be buying a new system soon. Can I use that same product key with this new system? How does one accomplish that?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks.

I am about to purchase Windows 8 Pro Upgrade through Microsoft upgrade advisor program. I know how to do a clean install with that, but my concern is a whole new system.

I will be installing it on my current system, but I will likely be buying a new system soon. Can I use that same product key with this new system? How does one accomplish that?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks.

You can only use the product key on one computer I assume. So if you're going to buy the product key with your old computer, you will have to cancel the install right after you buy it. Then once you get your new computer, you can use upgrade download link in your email and you can input your key there.

You can move the install over to the new machine, but only once you have removed it from the current machine.

If it is a totally blank empty machine you will need to have a valid OS install on there first otherwise activation will fail, unless you do some fun tricks to make it work.

People have already posted about that on other threads here.

If I understood you correctly, you can install the key to a new system, once the old system is wiped?

But then you said, the new system needs an OS on it?

If I understood you correctly, you can install the key to a new system, once the old system is wiped?

But then you said, the new system needs an OS on it?

That is correct. As the copy for that price is an upgrade it requires something to upgrade from on that PC.

Now there are ways around that, but they violate the End User License Agreement.

you should go and actually read the EULA for the Upgrade version. the System Builder one allows you to transfer machines I'm not sure how it'd work with the upgrade version, since technically once you upgrade the old OS's licence key is replaced by the new one and isn't "valid" anymore..

you should go and actually read the EULA for the Upgrade version. the System Builder one allows you to transfer machines I'm not sure how it'd work with the upgrade version, since technically once you upgrade the old OS's licence key is replaced by the new one and isn't "valid" anymore..

Only for as long as you are using it to supplant that version on the current PC. If you decide to transfer it to a different PC, and upgrade from an OS on that PC then you cancel out the old license there, and restore the original license back to the first PC.

It gets confusing...but needless to say if he upgrades from 7 on a PC...then decides to use it on another PC, as long as he removes 8 from that first PC he's just fine...and can put 7 back on there...as long as he doesn't use the original license from the new machine elsewhere.

At least according to the EULA, unless someone can point out where I'm mistaken.