• Added Download Management
  • Added Wii System Transfer
  • Added software update feature
  • Added USB storage device features

-----

Wii U Owners Bummed Out By Huge Firmware Update

That Edited by Andrew G.

Posted

So, the guys console is only bricked not because of any problems with the update itself, but because he unplugged the power during a firmware update? Some people :p

Anyway, Nintendo detailed a while ago how much space would be available for end users, in the region of 3-4GB for users of the 8GB model. I'm surprised it's such a big firmware though.
1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah, dude is a dunce for unplugging his console during an update.

Posted

5GB update on the day the console is released?
GameSystemBetaTest.Org *sigh*

Posted

[quote name='n_K' timestamp='1353282078' post='595331456']
5GB update on the day the console is released?
GameSystemBetaTest.Org *sigh*
[/quote]
More like it takes months to produce the systems and changes will be made in that time frame.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='S00N3R FR3AK' timestamp='1353287528' post='595331618']
More like it takes months to produce the systems and changes will be made in that time frame.
[/quote]and?

this update was used to[b] install[/b] features that were already planned and should have been installed stock

there's no excuse for this, if bugs needed patched a much smaller update would have sufficed
2 people like this

Posted

I don't see the big deal.
5gb aint that big these days. If you wanna play straight away just run the update when you go to bed...
I doubt the chance of bricking is very high, unless you power off at the very end of the update when it is installing the download....

Posted

Shouldn't be any chance of bricking. Not sure how the original wii does updates or 360 or ps3 but with phones and ipods and whatnot you've got a locked bootloader (I don't mean the bootloader that people want 'unlocking', this is placed before that bootloader) which starts the device up, initialises USB and then attempts to load the next bootloader. If there is a problem with loading the next bootloader, it will give an error message/screen and allow the device to be repaired by loading a replacement (usually signed) firmware over usb.
For something in 2012 such as the WiiU to not have that is completely scrimping the barrel.

Posted

[quote name='Slammers' timestamp='1353289358' post='595331676']
5gb aint that big these days. If you wanna play straight away just run the update when you go to bed...
[/quote]

Depends where you are.

It seems pretty absurd to me to have 5GB patches on day one.
3 people like this

Posted

Can you download the update from a PC and put it on a USB flash drive?

Posted

I don't see the problem with this. In fact, the day one firmware update was so they could get the Wii U manufactured months in advance, then release the firmware. My launch Wii (not Wii U) came with a disc to install the firmware (something along those lines) because they had not yet finalized the firmware at the time the Wii had been manufactured.

I've never bought a new custom computer from an OEM (e.g., HP or Dell), but I'm pretty sure they don't have the full operating system updates, even if you buy a custom built rig from an OEM. It's just not economical.

Really, it's the most sensible thing.

Posted

[quote name='Slammers' timestamp='1353289358' post='595331676']
I don't see the big deal.
I doubt the chance of bricking is very high, unless you power off at the very end of the update when it is installing the download....
[/quote]The last thing I want to do when I buy a console is download 5GB update. Most people will be excited to play, and 5GB will take a long time to download (especially on my advertised 20 Mbps connection. Plus, many ISP's have data caps these days...In any case, it's a less than ideal situation.

Posted

5GB for a firmware is ridiculous.
3 people like this

Posted

[quote name='tsupersonic' timestamp='1353291220' post='595331750']
The last thing I want to do when I buy a console is download 5GB update. Most people will be excited to play, and 5GB will take a long time to download (especially on my advertised 20 Mbps connection. Plus, many ISP's have data caps these days...In any case, it's a less than ideal situation.
[/quote]

5GB will not take much time at all to download on a 20Mbps connection. At peak speeds, no more than 35-40 mins. Hardly a 'long time'.

Posted

[quote name='Blackhearted' timestamp='1353292091' post='595331792']
5GB will not take much time at all to download on a 20Mbps connection. At peak speeds, no more than 35-40 mins. Hardly a 'long time'.
[/quote]

Most people don't have 20Mbps connections.
3 people like this

Posted

[quote name='tsupersonic' timestamp='1353291220' post='595331750']
The last thing I want to do when I buy a console is download 5GB update. Most people will be excited to play, and 5GB will take a long time to download (especially on my advertised 20 Mbps connection. Plus, many ISP's have data caps these days...In any case, it's a less than ideal situation.
[/quote]

Like I said, you don't need the update to play.... Do it overnight, do it at a friends who has unlimited net, do it at net cafe, don't do it at all.... whatever your decision you can still play your Wii U when you get it :)

Posted

The update is also just 1GB archived I'm pretty sure. 5GB after being uncompressed...

[b]edit:[/b] Checked my router and sure as anything I've only downloaded ~2GB in the last 24 hours.

Posted

[quote name='~Johnny' timestamp='1353278867' post='595331326']
So, the guys console is only bricked not because of any problems with the update itself, but because he unplugged the power during a firmware update? Some people :p

Anyway, Nintendo detailed a while ago how much space would be available for end users, in the region of 3-4GB for users of the 8GB model. I'm surprised it's such a big firmware though.
[/quote]
You're right. The 8GB model has approximately 3GB for "data storage and downloads". And the 32GB model has 25GB.

As for the 5GB firmware update, I find it odd that Nintendo is making people download so much data. I don't have a Wii U but I imagine the download is less than 5GB and it overwrites existing data.

Posted

The other fail is the Nintendo account you sign up with is locked to the console.

Posted

[quote name='Doli' timestamp='1353290648' post='595331722']
Can you download the update from a PC and put it on a USB flash drive?
[/quote]

I haven't found anything suggesting you can.

Posted

I thought geeks love to install new updates :)

Posted

[quote name='warwagon' timestamp='1353300878' post='595332058']
I thought geeks love to install new updates :)
[/quote]

Updates yes. Sending out hardware with non-final firmware and then requiring a huge firmware update on initial plug in? Not so much.

Not even the PS3 is quite this bad...I mean this is ridiculous.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Shane Nokes' timestamp='1353300941' post='595332060']
Updates yes. Sending out hardware with non-final firmware and then requiring a huge firmware update on initial plug in? Not so much.

Not even the PS3 is quite this bad...I mean this is ridiculous.
[/quote]

Just think of it as a huge service pack which also adds features. Geeks love that ****!

Posted

[quote name='warwagon' timestamp='1353301129' post='595332066']
Just think of it as a huge service pack which also adds features. Geeks love that ****!
[/quote]

lol, I see your fishing pole is very good
1 person likes this

Posted

I can't even get the stupid thing to update...