Wii U Firmware 2.0.0

I have had TWC for years and i have had pretty much no problem at all getting every bit of my connections advertised speed(unless, of course, a site has a per user bandwidth cap. but that's not twc's fault). Also, TWC aint all bad, even if you may have speed problems. After all, i don't beleive they have caps yet.

Most game developers do that all the time these days(ship now, fix later). Why are you only jumping to complain about it now? Is it because it's nintendo?

Because Nintendo take it to another level (again).

It's not about fixing what's broken, but also about what Average Joe sees.

They leave out features, sometimes rather important ones and delay them for ages even sometimes.

Everyone and their dog knows Nintendo do it quite differently than other console makers.

And yes, I find that stupid with any company, nice try giving my statemtns an unintended spin. ;)

Glassed Silver:ios

The "normal" home user pays $19 to $29 a month for there internet. Those users get 768k to 1.5 mb speeds. So this is basically a take the U home today and play with it tomorrow (if you are lucky).

"normal" now days is users on cable connections with bundled service which is generally 10+Mbit now days... this isn't 10 years ago when DSL was the most common internet connection... bundling basically changed that

this isn't 10 years ago when DSL was the most common internet connection... bundling basically changed that

I'm on the worst possible high speed DSL connection here and i can download 5GB in about 1 hour and a half to 2 hours if the server is good.

This said 5GB is really way too much for an OS update. 1Gb would be more acceptable. Also an OS update should not systematically break the system if the power fails. And it should never break the system if the download fails. People should have a way to recover the OS from a disk included with the system.

This said i'm always skeptical about "my system got bricked during update" stories. They always pop up when a new update is released for a popular piece of hardware. It personally never happened to me ever. Not while updating my iPod. Not while flashing my video card bios (9800 pro to xt and 6950 to 6970) . Not while updating my mb bios. Not while updating my 360. Not while updating the firmware of my damn Razer Mamba cause it was not working properly out of the box. Not while updating my SSD firmware. Etc etc etc

But all my wall outlets are grounded and the cables are not inverted (something missing from about 99% of old houses) and i plug my expensive things in a good surge protector. That might actually help ... who knows ?

Early buyers are always screwed. This is sad but true.

If they were to ever release the update as a download to a PC, put on a thumbdrive, then installed onto console, how long until some people out there start offering upgrade services for like $50+?

windows 8 is only 3gb ....

could they not update via SD card or from the disc or something?

the shops should be able to open up new boxes of wii u's , apply the update via an SD card or through a disc , then pack it up again and mark it as updated... ideally, anyway...

on the bright side, it's super easy to add on additional storage with the Wii U :)

so even on the basic model it's not actually all that big of deal when you think about how much space it uses

Nintendo really loves internet updates, it lets them ship beta software and patch it and add features later on.

Tisk tisk tisk...

Glassed Silver:ios

On the other hand, they had to start manufacturing and packing these machines over 3 months ago to build up stock for launch. That's a lot of useful development time. You can probably bet there will be day one updates for the next Microsoft & Sony consoles too.

Show me a phone with firmware that takes at least 1GB to download, and 5 for storage. I've never seen anything close.

5GB of storage certainly not, but I'm sure that the Galaxy SIII was more than 1gb and that the iOS 6 firmware wasn't much far.

5GB of storage certainly not, but I'm sure that the Galaxy SIII was more than 1gb and that the iOS 6 firmware wasn't much far.

I'm not sure about all of the updates for the GSIII, but the most recent AT&T update (I don't own one, but check the review sites to keep up with stuff) was 82MB and sent out OTA. That was still a 4.0 build though, and not an update to a post 4.0 build.

iOS6 on iPhone 4 devices (not sure about 4s) was indeed pretty big. It weighed in around 800MB.

On the other hand, they had to start manufacturing and packing these machines over 3 months ago to build up stock for launch. That's a lot of useful development time. You can probably bet there will be day one updates for the next Microsoft & Sony consoles too.

Indeed, but an update that large? Not very likely.

The ROMS for the Galaxy Nexus based on Jelly Bean are usually < 300 MB (compressed). Even uncompressed, it's less than < 500 MB usually.

Now i know the US(the only country the wii u is released in so far) lags behind many other countries in internet speed, but even here it's not as bad as "most people having 1.5mbps connections" like you're trying to say.

The WiiU was also released in Canada yesterday :rolleyes:

I had experience with TWC and DOCSIS3 (was advertised 30/5), and it is not fast at all. The connection ended up being worse than my current 20/2. Bottom line is TWC is absolute garbage, but it is the only option in my area (well unless I go the satellite route, and that is just laughable). I think the highest package they offer in my area gets to 50 Mbps download, but that is ungodly expensive. The 30/5 was $85/month alone.

sucks to hear about your crap connection speed! i have TWC w/ the 30/5 package and i get every bit of that 30Mbit down. i love it. hearing about a 5GB wii u update doesnt bother me. huge? yes, but whatever.

I'm not sure about all of the updates for the GSIII, but the most recent AT&T update (I don't own one, but check the review sites to keep up with stuff) was 82MB and sent out OTA. That was still a 4.0 build though, and not an update to a post 4.0 build.

The latest whole AT&T firmware (I747UCALH1) for the S3 is 1.1gb, OTA updates are differential so the download is certainly far smaller.

iOS6 on iPhone 4 devices (not sure about 4s) was indeed pretty big. It weighed in around 800MB.

The older iPhones didn't get all the new features (for example no 3d maps except on the 4S), maybe it was smaller because of that? I'm pretty sure it was almost 1gb (980mb?).

It's probably like the playstation 3 where there wasn't a differential update system and the whole firmware has to be downloaded every time. Or maybe since those are launch consoles they just shipped them with a very basic firmware leaving them time to implement the remaining features in the months before launch.

The ROMS for the Galaxy Nexus based on Jelly Bean are usually < 300 MB (compressed). Even uncompressed, it's less than < 500 MB usually.

Aren't those basically vanilla ROMs since the Nexus software is handled directly by Google? The official Samsung phones usually come with tons of crapware (same for other manufacturers) and the operators love increasing the crap tenfold.

The latest whole AT&T firmware (I747UCALH1) for the S3 is 1.1gb, OTA updates are differential so the download is certainly far smaller.

The older iPhones didn't get all the new features (for example no 3d maps except on the 4S), maybe it was smaller because of that? I'm pretty sure it was almost 1gb (980mb?).

It's probably like the playstation 3 where there wasn't a differential update system and the whole firmware has to be downloaded every time. Or maybe since those are launch consoles they just shipped them with a very basic firmware leaving them time to implement the remaining features in the months before launch.

Indeed. I was talking about update sizes. Updates should almost always be delta builds. To do something else is just lazy on the part of the people who put together the update system.

That was my entire point from the beginning. To put out a huge update is a waste, when you could have done it right from the beginning and implemented delta updating...it makes things much faster.

• Like 1

Indeed. I was talking about update sizes. Updates should almost always be delta builds. To do something else is just lazy on the part of the people who put together the update system.

That was my entire point from the beginning. To put out a huge update is a waste, when you could have done it right from the beginning and implemented delta updating...it makes things much faster.

It's also much much better for the server infrastructure.

Glassed Silver:mac

It's also much much better for the server infrastructure.

Glassed Silver:mac

Tell that to Apple, I had to download something like 5gb of updates after installing the latest OS X/iLife/iWork a few days ago.

Extremely likely. These next consoles are going to be extremely media and entertainment focused alongside just games - and these base software is going to be quite large. Considering the Wii U firmware update is *actually* around a 1GB download before decompression and installation, it wouldn't surprise me to see Microsoft's to be around the same size. The current Xbox 360 firmware without Kinect voice libraries is over 100MB compressed, so it wouldn't surprise me for the next Xbox to have a giant day one update. And in the case of Sony - even the PS Vita's day one firmware update was around 100MB, so it's easy to assume the PS4's will be a lot larger - not only because of larger resource files, but because it'll have more features.

Extremely likely. These next consoles are going to be extremely media and entertainment focused alongside just games - and these base software is going to be quite large. Considering the Wii U firmware update is *actually* around a 1GB download before decompression and installation, it wouldn't surprise me to see Microsoft's to be around the same size. The current Xbox 360 firmware without Kinect voice libraries is over 100MB compressed, so it wouldn't surprise me for the next Xbox to have a giant day one update. And in the case of Sony - even the PS Vita's day one firmware update was around 100MB, so it's easy to assume the PS4's will be a lot larger - not only because of larger resource files, but because it'll have more features.

PS4 I would totally agree, unless they finally decide to go with delta updates.

The next Xbox. I would call it highly unlikely considering MS loves delta updates.