wii u nintendo firmware 2.0.0

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
76 replies to this topic

#46 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:26

Nintendo really loves internet updates, it lets them ship beta software and patch it and add features later on.

Tisk tisk tisk...

Glassed Silver:ios

#47 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:28

I had experience with TWC and DOCSIS3 (was advertised 30/5), and it is not fast at all. The connection ended up being worse than my current 20/2. Bottom line is TWC is absolute garbage, but it is the only option in my area (well unless I go the satellite route, and that is just laughable). I think the highest package they offer in my area gets to 50 Mbps download, but that is ungodly expensive. The 30/5 was $85/month alone.

I'm on Comcast at 50Mbit, and I get a steady 65Mbit (they overprovision) never had speed issues on DOCSIS3, TWC is notorious for over subscribing nodes, causing "slow downs" on the shared coax lines from the node

#48 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:32

I had experience with TWC and DOCSIS3 (was advertised 30/5), and it is not fast at all. The connection ended up being worse than my current 20/2. Bottom line is TWC is absolute garbage, but it is the only option in my area (well unless I go the satellite route, and that is just laughable). I think the highest package they offer in my area gets to 50 Mbps download, but that is ungodly expensive. The 30/5 was $85/month alone.

I have had TWC for years and i have had pretty much no problem at all getting every bit of my connections advertised speed(unless, of course, a site has a per user bandwidth cap. but that's not twc's fault). Also, TWC aint all bad, even if you may have speed problems. After all, i don't beleive they have caps yet.

Nintendo really loves internet updates, it lets them ship beta software and patch it and add features later on.

Tisk tisk tisk...

Most game developers do that all the time these days(ship now, fix later). Why are you only jumping to complain about it now? Is it because it's nintendo?

#49 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:37

Tisk tisk tisk...

Everyone do that these days.

I'm not saying it is right but sadly it's not a big deal anymore.

#50 Head of Tech Geek and More

Head of Tech Geek and More

Head Geek of Tech Geek and More

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:38

The "normal" home user pays $19 to $29 a month for there internet. Those users get 768k to 1.5 mb speeds. So this is basically a take the U home today and play with it tomorrow (if you are lucky).

#51 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:43

I have had TWC for years and i have had pretty much no problem at all getting every bit of my connections advertised speed(unless, of course, a site has a per user bandwidth cap. but that's not twc's fault). Also, TWC aint all bad, even if you may have speed problems. After all, i don't beleive they have caps yet.

Most game developers do that all the time these days(ship now, fix later). Why are you only jumping to complain about it now? Is it because it's nintendo?

Because Nintendo take it to another level (again).

It's not about fixing what's broken, but also about what Average Joe sees.

They leave out features, sometimes rather important ones and delay them for ages even sometimes.

Everyone and their dog knows Nintendo do it quite differently than other console makers.

And yes, I find that stupid with any company, nice try giving my statemtns an unintended spin. ;)

#52 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:45

The "normal" home user pays $19 to $29 a month for there internet. Those users get 768k to 1.5 mb speeds. So this is basically a take the U home today and play with it tomorrow (if you are lucky).

"normal" now days is users on cable connections with bundled service which is generally 10+Mbit now days... this isn't 10 years ago when DSL was the most common internet connection... bundling basically changed that

#53 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 19 November 2012 - 16:07

this isn't 10 years ago when DSL was the most common internet connection... bundling basically changed that

I'm on the worst possible high speed DSL connection here and i can download 5GB in about 1 hour and a half to 2 hours if the server is good.

This said 5GB is really way too much for an OS update. 1Gb would be more acceptable. Also an OS update should not systematically break the system if the power fails. And it should never break the system if the download fails. People should have a way to recover the OS from a disk included with the system.

This said i'm always skeptical about "my system got bricked during update" stories. They always pop up when a new update is released for a popular piece of hardware. It personally never happened to me ever. Not while updating my iPod. Not while flashing my video card bios (9800 pro to xt and 6950 to 6970) . Not while updating my mb bios. Not while updating my 360. Not while updating the firmware of my damn Razer Mamba cause it was not working properly out of the box. Not while updating my SSD firmware. Etc etc etc

But all my wall outlets are grounded and the cables are not inverted (something missing from about 99% of old houses) and i plug my expensive things in a good surge protector. That might actually help ... who knows ?

Early buyers are always screwed. This is sad but true.

#54 ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 19 November 2012 - 16:26

If they were to ever release the update as a download to a PC, put on a thumbdrive, then installed onto console, how long until some people out there start offering upgrade services for like $50+?

#55 carmatic

carmatic

oh cool i can change my member title

Posted 19 November 2012 - 16:36

windows 8 is only 3gb ....

could they not update via SD card or from the disc or something?
the shops should be able to open up new boxes of wii u's , apply the update via an SD card or through a disc , then pack it up again and mark it as updated... ideally, anyway...

#56 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 November 2012 - 16:39

This update also includes the Wii emulator hence the bloated size.

windows 8 is only 3gb ....

Compressed.........once installed its like 10-15Gb.

#57 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 19 November 2012 - 16:43

Where's the problem? There are phones with bigger firmwares.

#58 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 19 November 2012 - 19:20

Doubt it.

#59 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 November 2012 - 19:21

Show me a phone with firmware that takes at least 1GB to download, and 5 for storage. I've never seen anything close.

#60 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 19 November 2012 - 19:23

on the bright side, it's super easy to add on additional storage with the Wii U :)
so even on the basic model it's not actually all that big of deal when you think about how much space it uses