Photo

World’s rudest countries for travelers ?

skyscanner.com poll

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 17:52

Here's the key to visiting Quebec:

"Bonjour! Je parle un petit peu de francais. Est-ce que tu parle anglais?"

In other words, don't go up to a French person and say "do you speak English?" Make an effort to ask them something in their language and they will be likely to respond in yours if they understand it.

We tried doing this in Montreal, and before we could finish the line we had one server laugh and say, "don't worry, we all speak English here."

In general though, yes, people appreciate it if you give it a shot. Sometimes they don't even mind if it's a similar Romance language.

#17 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

• 1,343 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 18:01

My aunt told me about her experience when she went to france, no one would help her as a tourist unless she spoke french. She had a english to french dictionary and struggled to get certain stuff done but they still would not help her.

And how would that work in the US? random French person comes up to random United Station and asks for help in French?
If they even said anything at all, they wouldn't help, they might just keep walking.

It's hard to calculate this stuff though, as someone from say traveling from Portugal to France would probably have a completely different expereience
Than a person from the US to France, likely the main problems are a language barrier making them seem rude, they just don't have time to stand
there and try it figure out what this random person is saying in another language.

So I guess the moral of the story is, learn the basics of a language first before traveling.

#18 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,552 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 18:02

I've never had any problems speaking English in Paris (in fact I've had Parisians ask me to speak English so they can practice theirs) and I rarely find French people who don''t speak English rude. I know most people will claim the opposite but I often wonder if that's because they go to France expecting to be treated rudely and then look for reasons to hate the place. In general, like most people anywhere, the Frrench are warm and welcoming.

I've never had any problems in Germany either but I don't take offence easily, enjoy cultural differences and I'm aware of the fact that my failure to speak the local language is my problem.

English-speakers are too quick to assume that everyone else should speak their language and are just lucky that it's currently the international language. We're not generally that welcoming of people who don't speak English and I'm sure we'd have the same reputation as the French if the tables were turned.

I agree that American tourists talk too loudly but the Dutch have the same problem :laugh:

#19 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 19 November 2012 - 18:09

I wonder where all those France tourists went?
Now I've never been to France, but if they've been to Paris, according to all the people I have spoken to, they (the respondents to the survey) have NOT been in France. ;)

Also angry greetings from Germany...
You folks get your asses of my lawn and don't come back! GRRR! :angry: :rofl:

Glassed Silver:mac

#20 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,000 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 19 November 2012 - 18:13

The difference is Germans simply don't realize they're being rude, whereas France go out of their way to do it.

#21 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

• 10,729 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 18:18

The difference is Germans simply don't realize they're being rude, whereas France go out of their way to do it.

Germans know they are rude.
Most Germans complain how rude the others are.

There are some parts in Germany that are more worthy of going to if you need friendly people around you such as Cologne or the Ruhr area...
Love that part of Germany and I wouldn't mind living there.
Cologne is especially good if you're a little more quirky and not really fit usual expectations. :)

#22 +Lovell

Lovell

,l,(-.-),l,

• 1,665 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 18:18

This most recent poll generated more than 1,200 user responses--60% of the respondents from the U.K. and Ireland, according to the International Business Times.

Ask Americans who are the worst tourists and they'll say Americans, ask Brits and they'll say Brits etc. people always believe there nations tourists are the rudest.

#23 yxz

yxz

Neowinian Senior

• 2,059 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 18:26

"This most recent poll generated more than 1,200 user responses--60% of the respondents from the U.K. and Ireland"
:laugh:

#24 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 19 November 2012 - 18:38

I would believe this. In the USA, we're a lot more used to people from all over. I see people from all over the world every day. In other countries I don't think they have as many "outsiders".

Unless of course you're any kind of middle eastern at all, then I'd caution you about some areas of the US. While most people here are very accepting of people from all over, sometimes ignorance overwhelms some people and we have a tendency to show deep hatred to generalized groups of people just because some people that look like them did something to us, middle easterners being the most recent target. Look back at WW2 at how the country treated Japanese Americans. For the most part though, people are used to seeing people from all over the world.

#25 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,000 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 19 November 2012 - 18:38

Germans know they are rude.
Most Germans complain how rude the others are.

There are some parts in Germany that are more worthy of going to if you need friendly people around you such as Cologne or the Ruhr area...
Love that part of Germany and I wouldn't mind living there.
Cologne is especially good if you're a little more quirky and not really fit usual expectations. :)

Yes if they're going out of their way to be rude, but stereotypically Germans being their "normal" can feel a little cold and rude to outsiders.

#26 ZakO

ZakO

Neowinian

• 1,029 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 18:40

Surely for this poll to have any meaning the respondents would need to have been to every country in the world, which I'm going to guess none of them have.

When my wife (American) and myself (British) went to France for a month the only rude person we met was an American :p

#27 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,551 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 18:47

I can agree that Thailand is lovely. Brasil is as well although they are VERY proud of their culture and sometimes can come across as a bit arrogant. Generally warm and friendly people though. Germany wasn't *that* bad, although I had native speakers with me most of the time and I tend to stay quiet in those situations and let them do the talking :laugh: I think the culture there is just more serious and strained than in many other places, and it is interpreted wrong by those who aren't familiar with it.

#28 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,900 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 18:51

I agree. Good and bad people exist everywhere.

Absolutely. I think people overthink this. lol The rudest experience I've ever had was probably in the most welcoming town in Pennsylvania. It just took a jerk that for whatever reason wanted to be a jerk that day...

#29 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

• 10,729 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 18:58

I can agree that Thailand is lovely. Brasil is as well although they are VERY proud of their culture and sometimes can come across as a bit arrogant. Generally warm and friendly people though. Germany wasn't *that* bad, although I had native speakers with me most of the time and I tend to stay quiet in those situations and let them do the talking :laugh: I think the culture there is just more serious and strained than in many other places, and it is interpreted wrong by those who aren't familiar with it.

QFT.

The seriousness around here really gets on my nerves a lot of the times, so I can see how you don't feel comfortable around here as foreigner.

#30 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:47

Also angry greetings from Germany...
You folks get your asses of my lawn and don't come back! GRRR! :angry: :rofl:

I'm coming over there now on the next plane just to annoy you. :p