Photo

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:59

In the past six years I’ve been through four Xbox 360 consoles and three PlayStation 3s. Which has been a pain, but each and every time I’ve been able to simply transfer my existing system account to the new console through the magic of the internet.

You’d think that would be something Nintendo could manage rather easily, but nope. Turns out that the Nintendo Network ID you create for a Wii U will, for now at least, be tied to that console. If you lose that console – for whatever reason – you lose the ID that went with it. If you buy a second-hand console, and want to import your ID, you can’t. If you’re at a friend’s house and want to sign on using your account, you can’t.
Here’s the relevant statement from Nintendo’s support page:

Posted Image

That “future” consoles thing is a little confusing, as it’s unclear whether they mean the next console after the Wii U, or simply Wii U machines in the future, when this feature is patched in. We’ll contact Nintendo and update if we hear back.
Hopefully it’s something that can be patched in, because boy, if people lose their accounts and their consoles at the same time, they’ll be pretty damn upset.
Can I Log Into My Nintendo Network Account on a Different Console? [Nintendo Support, thanks everyone!]

http://www.kotaku.co...-is-tied-to-it/

Derp

#2 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:12

Definitely wouldn't buy until this is resolved. Definitely a deal killer. Even though letting Indie devs set their own prices on the eShop made it seem attractive.

#3 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:22

hmm, not good.

This almost sounds like they used the same system to tie accounts to the DSi (in terms of purchase and re-download).

#4 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:40

The lack of an option to recover your NIntendo Network Account is ridiculous. You shouldn't be forced to create a new account on a different console. What if the original console breaks? What if you want to log into your account on a friend's console? I'd love to know the reasoning behind Nintendo's decision to tie accounts to the console it was created on.

#5 billyea

billyea

Your Two Cents

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:42

The lack of an option to recover your NIntendo Network Account is ridiculous. You shouldn't be forced to create a new account on a different console. What if the original console breaks? What if you want to log into your account on a friend's console? I'd love to know the reasoning behind Nintendo's decision to tie accounts to the console it was created on.

Considering that they promised to open up this functionality in the future, it just seems like they ran out of time to implement it. In general, it feels like they ran out of time for a lot of things and had to throw them into a huge launch day firmware update.

#6 OP compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:05

I've seen posts saying if you have your serial no. you can contact nintendo and, I don't know, sign-in to a new console if you give them the new consolse serial no. or something.

#7 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:13

If it's an issue of running out of time, they should just say that and make it clear that it'll be available on all Wii Us eventually with a software update.

#8 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:21

Nintendo is still fumbling around with an incoherent and poorly implemented online functionality. This is basic functionality and should have been implemented from the get-go.

#9 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:58

They've been saying they'll tie your purchases to your account and be able to transfer your data between consoles since i think the DSi Shop days.
When i recently traded in my 3ds for an XL, i found out the hard way. I lost my ambassador status as it is tied to the console, not my account. Pretty good, why give us an SD card slot it we can't use it to trasnfer data!

Nintendo seriously don't have a clue when it comes to online functionality. They make decent games but everything else they do looks like amateur hour.

#10 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:56

:facepalm:

I guess when I said that nintendo was repeating the same mistakes Sony did with the PSN on the PS3 launch, I was mistaken, They make PSN at launch look like a perfect online network...

#11 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:16

Well done, Nintendo. Well done.

I must say I'm disappointed with Nintendo beyond belief.
I just cannot comprehend how they work so hard on losing all credibility amongst gamers and even casual gamers.

Glassed Silver:ios

#12 lunamonkey

lunamonkey

Ten years on Neowin.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:30

Wait... re-read it.

There is a difference between a Network Account (for hardware) and an Network ID (for users).

Maybe it isn't actually important, as you can just log into another device with your Network ID. (and the network account just dies with the hardware).

#13 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:39

Anyone else interested what the PC part may mean?

I know they don't want to open up, so it might just be a store to send stuff to your console, but still...

Glassed Silver:ios
PS: And I know it lists PC just as an example

#14 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:41

They've been saying they'll tie your purchases to your account and be able to transfer your data between consoles since i think the DSi Shop days.
When i recently traded in my 3ds for an XL, i found out the hard way. I lost my ambassador status as it is tied to the console, not my account. Pretty good, why give us an SD card slot it we can't use it to trasnfer data!

Nintendo seriously don't have a clue when it comes to online functionality. They make decent games but everything else they do looks like amateur hour.

The system transfer option should allow you to keep it your ambassador status. If you foolishly traded in your 3ds before getting the XL and doing the transfer then it is your fault and you have noone to blame and noone to cry to but yourself.

#15 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 November 2012 - 13:42

The system transfer option should allow you to keep it your ambassador status. If you foolishly traded in your 3ds before getting the XL and doing the transfer then it is your fault and you have noone to blame and noone to cry to but yourself.

I knew you could do a system transfer but i thought it was 2012 and everything was tied to my account, i don't mind that i have to redownload everything again. I'm not crying about it and it is my fault, i think it took me a whole 10 seconds to get over it. I am more annoyed that they still can't tie purchases to an account.

Anyone else interested what the PC part may mean?

I assume It would be like PSN/XBL where you can login and have various control over your account.