64 posts in this topic

Posted

Did the front page mobile skin get changed recently? Suddenly, I have to scroll news headings left and right to see the whole thing, where yesterday they would wrap.

Please put it back, this is a crappy change and looks awful, even on my large screen Note 2.
1 person likes this

Posted

I think I have bigger problems over here: everything looks broken in IE9 Mobile. Yikes. It looked like as if it were in quirks.

(When you said front page, you meant the one with news, right?)

Posted

Same here, using latest Chrome on Htc One X.

Posted

Yeah, I see the change too. I like the idea but I don't like the scrolling because I have to scroll almost every title to see what they are - individually.

I would prefer seeing the headlines title in full (2 lines if needed) and then we can click to see the article.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='FloatingFatMan' timestamp='1353304297' post='595332138']
Did the front page mobile skin get changed recently? Suddenly, I have to scroll news headings left and right to see the whole thing, where yesterday they would wrap.

Please put it back, this is a crappy change and looks awful, even on my large screen Note 2.
[/quote]

Mobile headlines did not wrap, you had to scroll with your finger to see the complete headline. This change was done months and months ago (http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1086079-mobile-version-skin-changed/page__view__findpost__p__594952583).

Also if its broken or rendering differently than it was yesterday/last week. Post a screenshot (picture of the device if you have to).

Posted

You folks do know that your devices have orientation sensors in them right? Meaning you could just turn your device to landscape and still be able to see the whole head line minus the scrolling.

Posted

I noticed this too, attached screenies.

[attachment=321786:Screenshot_2012-11-19-18-28-21.png]

[attachment=321788:Screenshot_2012-11-19-18-28-29.png]

Switching the phone to landscape makes it go back to how it used to be.

[attachment=321790:Screenshot_2012-11-19-18-28-42.png]

Device > Galaxy Nexus ICS 4.0.4 using latest version of Chrome for Android.

EDIT: I just want to add, it's always behaved like that on iOS (well at least on my iPod touch)...so maybe the site is detecting the browser wrong and displaying the iOS version? just a thought I'd throw out there.

Posted

[quote name='Timan' timestamp='1353308045' post='595332190']
Mobile headlines did not wrap, you had to scroll with your finger to see the complete headline. This change was done months and months ago ([url="http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1086079-mobile-version-skin-changed/page__view__findpost__p__594952583"]http://www.neowin.ne...t__p__594952583[/url]).

Also if its broken or rendering differently than it was yesterday/last week. Post a screenshot (picture of the device if you have to).
[/quote]

Was about to post screenies but Xerxes beat me to it. Mine are the same.

[quote name='SharpGreen' timestamp='1353308474' post='595332198']
You folks do know that your devices have orientation sensors in them right? Meaning you could just turn your device to landscape and still be able to see the whole head line minus the scrolling.
[/quote]

Completely irrelevant. I prefer to use portrait mode.

Posted

[quote name='SharpGreen' timestamp='1353308474' post='595332198']
[/quote]

Ahh we are just holding our phone wrong now.

1 person likes this

Posted

Those scrolling headlines are seriously annoying, it's much more comfortable when the headlines wrapped (which they did a few days ago).
1 person likes this

Posted

I must be missing something, this is how the mobile site has been for the past few months, judging from the screenshot its rendering perfectly.

Posted

[quote name='Timan' timestamp='1353312539' post='595332254']
I must be missing something, this is how the mobile site has been for the past few months, judging from the screenshot its rendering perfectly.
[/quote]
Strangely enough a few days ago (without any changes on my end) the headlines stopped wrapping and started scrolling.

Posted

[quote name='Ambroos' timestamp='1353313391' post='595332268']
Strangely enough a few days ago (without any changes on my end) the headlines stopped wrapping and started scrolling.
[/quote]

The you've had cache that lasted months :p see the link I posted a few posts up, where I comment on it.

Posted

Huh. Before it was just the front page and the drop down menu on the front page screwing up.

Now it has spread to the forums and their drop down menu.

Posted

[quote name='Timan' timestamp='1353314712' post='595332302']
The you've had cache that lasted months :p see the link I posted a few posts up, where I comment on it.
[/quote]

Not possible, this is a brand new phone as of a month ago, and I completely wiped it 3 days ago. It went like this today.

Posted

You're just holding it wrong.

Steve.
3 people like this

Posted

LOL

It does feel different though. Never knew you could slide the news titles (never needed that :p)

Posted

Sounds like Steve is planning a re-brand called iWin ;)
1 person likes this

Posted

Wouldn't it be possible to provide sort of an option? I think it's annoying to have to swipe over titles ten times to be able to read them. Having them wrapped just allows me to scroll down the page (which is a lot smoother).

Posted

I never understood why Timan and the others were so opposed to just having the titles wrap

Posted

It's been scrollable for months....

Posted

[quote name='Ambroos' timestamp='1353318762' post='595332414']
Wouldn't it be possible to provide sort of an option? I think it's annoying to have to swipe over titles ten times to be able to read them. Having them wrapped just allows me to scroll down the page (which is a lot smoother).
[/quote]

Rotate your phone on its side, you'll get the complete headline and the excerpt of the story.

Posted

[quote name='Timan' timestamp='1353355304' post='595334080']
Rotate your phone on its side, you'll get the complete headline and the excerpt of the story.
[/quote]

Here's a better idea, stop ruining the mobile skin and put it back as it was yesterday. Who the hell wants to have to scroll every news item just to read the title, it's just dumb. Also, why should we have to change how we choose to browse? I prefer my phone in portrait mode for browsing and I'm not changing that for one site.

Posted

[quote name='FloatingFatMan' timestamp='1353356511' post='595334128']
Here's a better idea, stop ruining the mobile skin and put it back as it was yesterday. Who the hell wants to have to scroll every news item just to read the title, it's just dumb. Also, why should we have to change how we choose to browse? I prefer my phone in portrait mode for browsing and I'm not changing that for one site.
[/quote]

Like i said before, nothing has been changed mobile. The last update which BROUGHT the scrolling headlines was done in June. So if you're not happy with the mobile version that we graciously provide, feel free to use the desktop version. This is how its designed to be, you can't make everyone happy but this is how it will remain.

Just pretend its metro? :rolleyes:

Posted

Like I said, new phone here so no cache issues, yet the skin was not like this 2 days ago. Clearly, you DID change something, and others on this thread seem to agree.

Oh, and nice bit of support there... Not.