How much RAM do you have installed?

How much RAM In Your Workstation?  

305 members have voted

1. 1. How much RAM in your workstation?

PC: 6GB (DDR2, no idea on manufacturer/speed)

Laptop: 2GB

Server: 16GB DDR3 ECC

Server that I'm still to sell/list: 8GB DDR2 ECC

Mother's PC that she rarely uses: 8GB DDR3 (WTF!)

my gaming desktop has 24GB

laptop has 4GB

and a home theatre box has 16GB

24GB is overkill for just gaming unless you are using RAMDisks.,... are you?

24GB is overkill for just gaming unless you are using RAMDisks.,... are you?

it's also used to run a few virtual machines, it's a gaming/study machine...

it's also used to run a few virtual machines, it's a gaming/study machine...

cool.that's a good amount for that then :)

32gb here just for the sake i could afford it.And have intention to use ramdisks - vmware at some point.

12GB 1600 8-8-8-24 in my 1366 based i7 Desktop.

Runs pretty nicely, although I doubt I'll ever actually fill that memory >.>

8GB in my server, but it's just a media/download server, so it's not really needing that much >.<

I have a laptop and a desktop. I have 6GB DDR3 on the laptop and 8GB DDR3 on the desktop. But I will soon start working on web development and hosting a few VM's so I will be bumping the desktop to 16GB.

I have 4GB in my desktop. It gets the job done, but I'd like to go up to 8GB or 12GB in the future.

As per my sig. I'm a software developer and usually have 4 virtual machines running at the same time for deployment/rebuild. It's by far cheaper, takes less space, quitter and easier this way then buying extra machines, kvm and having to wait for them rebuild over the network etc.

12GB 1600 8-8-8-24 in my 1366 based i7 Desktop.

Runs pretty nicely, although I doubt I'll ever actually fill that memory >.>

8GB in my server, but it's just a media/download server, so it's not really needing that much >.<

I wonder how many people realise there is a limit on how much memory 32bit applications can access per process?

That usually means the limit is 2gb (ish) per app. So you're looking at around 2gb for windows, 2gb for your media server app and 4gb not being used.

Consider a 64bit app where possible to make use of the extra memory, or at least setup something like squid with a large ram allocated for cache and make use of the 'wasted' ram.

Got 16GBs, because Windows 7 was a ram pig (under certain circumstances at least, that I was in, such as accessing many very large files, to be specific, 130+ 20-60GB video files.) It would often end up using 8GB-10GB just sitting at the desktop, several times I actually ran out of ram when doing nothing with the system, win 7 is supposed to release ram not actively used but I guess there was some issue where it would not. (I also tried multiple installs, and saw the issue on both of my systems, x58 and x79.) Got Win 8 now I never see more than 3GBs in use and that's when I have a lot open, thanks for making me waste ram Windows 8! :) Much happier now, obviously. Though I have thought about getting 32GB or 64GB because it is so cheap, but even if it was free it would be pointless considering how efficient Windows 8 is with ram.

Desktop: 16 GB DDR3

Desktop 2: 16 GB DDR3

Laptop: 8 GB DDR3

Laptop 2: 8 GB DDR3

Server: 4 GB DDR3

Netbook: 1 GB DDR2

Even with 7 machines here, my TOTAL memory amount is 17GB's!!

I have 2 with 4GB, 4 with 2GB and 1 with 1GB. All are Windows 7 of some variation. All run quite well, IMO, for doing what I do, which is burnning cd's and dvd's once in a while. Nothing to tough.

I voted 4GB as that is what's in the machine I'm on now.