It feels like home

I'm officially back to Windows 7. I love Windows 8, don't get more wrong but I just feel like it's not personally for me. Plus many games and software don't work on Windows 8 which kind of made me switch back to Windows 7. Oh well, I don't regret it. :)

• Like 3

What games and software don't work? I'm just curious as everything I've tried on Windows 8 works fine.

Anything that uses GameGuard will not run in Win8 and supposedly GG will not have a proper update for a while, some have managed to get around it turning off the Program Compatibility Assistant Service, not sure of the long term repercussions and it might not always work from what I've read so far

Once this issue is resolved I'm going full Win8

Well for those who are wondering what game it is, it's GTA IV.

I'm not a game freak or anything but damn that game is fun! I bought that game a while ago and I'm not just going to sit in the dust. I suspect W8 will not run GTA IV because one of the drivers is not compatable with it which resulted in GTA IV not working either. Sucks...

The fun thing about Windows 8 is starting desktop apps from the Start screen *click* (desktop appears) *select start screen again* *click another app open* (desktop appears) and so on, a truly annoying concept.

• Like 3

The fun thing about Windows 8 is starting desktop apps from the Start screen *click* (desktop appears) *select start screen again* *click another app open* (desktop appears) and so on, a truly annoying concept.

Well, you don't have to do that, if you don't want to.

Or I may skip 8 and go to Windows 9. Who knows? :D

Yeah. Windows 9 probably will be more polished than 8. I'll do the same too unless something major happens in Windows 8.5. Let's just hope Dot Matrix doesn't find this thread. lol.

That's one of my complaints, too. Windows 8 is a half baked product, IMO.

• Like 2

I have been running Win 8 on a virtual machine just to get a feel for it and test things i use before making the decision to do a full upgrade. and I am leaning towards keeping windows 7 on my compute for a bit longer. The support isnt there yet for the hardware I use and I want to make sure I can use my computer to the same or better level before I upgrade. I am sure it will get there eventually just not yet. I do like a lot of the features in 8 thought just waiting for the support.

What games and software don't work? I'm just curious as everything I've tried on Windows 8 works fine.

Don't know if things improved since the developer release, but every TV capture card I tried failed.

Don't know if things improved since the developer release, but every TV capture card I tried failed.

If it's an old card it won't work. Remember they changed over to digital from analogue. unless the card specifically states it's digital, it won't pick anything up.

If it's an old card it won't work. Remember they changed over to digital from analogue. unless the card specifically states it's digital, it won't pick anything up.

I should rephrase...

The cards work in WIN7. Win 8 fails to ID the card or find drivers. The one card that did show up, the software for it failed to launch.

About 30 seconds of searching (yes I mean that literally) and I found the solution to the GTA IV problem

http://steamcommunit...20616777193/#p2

All I did was type in Windows 8 GTA IV into Google...and it was 4 links down.

I will apologize in advance if you already followed those directions, but while typing this I did more research and a combination of the two things in that thread have led to a fixed situation for everyone that I've read about over numerous websites. I have yet to see it not work for anyone...but since you're already back on 7 it won't matter.

BTW as mentioned also...launching from Steam just won't work..something about the way it calls the launcher up causes it to screw up....there's a solution for that issue as well.

I should rephrase...

The cards work in WIN7. Win 8 fails to ID the card or find drivers. The one card that did show up, the software for it failed to launch.

I see. I was only trying to help, of course. :)

The GFWL client issue is pretty screwy but can be overcome. I'm still having sporadic OGL issues and some framerate issues (AoC, Kohan II, Dragonshard)

Strangely, DOSBox has been giving me some stability fits as well (though it at least doesn't have to turn off Aero now ;) )

About 30 seconds of searching (yes I mean that literally) and I found the solution to the GTA IV problem

http://steamcommunit...20616777193/#p2

All I did was type in Windows 8 GTA IV into Google...and it was 4 links down.

I will apologize in advance if you already followed those directions, but while typing this I did more research and a combination of the two things in that thread have led to a fixed situation for everyone that I've read about over numerous websites. I have yet to see it not work for anyone...but since you're already back on 7 it won't matter.

BTW as mentioned also...launching from Steam just won't work..something about the way it calls the launcher up causes it to screw up....there's a solution for that issue as well.

This...

I have GTA IV on Steam and it works just fine in Windows 8. For years now I've used a dedicated "Games" disk and no games have to contend with the permission problems of "Program Files". I'd strongly advocate to ppl using Windows 8 (but the same benefits befell Vista/7) to install games to another partition or at least make a "Games" directory outside of "Program Files" and install games there instead, totally sidestepping any permissions issues.