• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 19 November 2012 - 17:40

I put on it on my second system that I just use to experiment with but my main system is untouched everything on it is good and untampered with.
this system however I just use to muck around on and practice and experiment with software and l try to learn new things
So can u guys help me please.
This is more for knowledge on navigating and playing with orca nothing else

if it's for knowledge why use such an old outdated version?

#17 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 18:12

Well any norton 2009 version and never uses at lest as little resources and MSE, most likely less and provides better and more compete protection.

MSE is great, but norton is better, though if I didn't get norton free once or twice a year, I'd just use MSE.

I used to hate norton, but ever since 2009, their software is geeting better and better and their 2011+ versions are great. its not the old days when norton was a huge resource hog.

I personally use the endpoint protection from symantec, probably the best AV/firewall package you can get.

#18 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 19 November 2012 - 18:13

/me waits for the "I bricked my Win8 install, HALP" thread in a couple of hours.

#19 OP Muzzy

Muzzy

Neowinian

Posted 20 November 2012 - 00:56

if it's for knowledge why use such an old outdated version?

because I wish to learn how to do it with older versions Norton 2009 and above all work on win 8 no problems I just wish to see how to get Norton internet security 2007 to install.

guys please ....... rather than asking me why could you please help out with a resolution on how to install it.
I just want to know ..

if you cant help me just say so rather than just telling me to update because I have the latest version but I wish to try the oldversion on the practice pc.

#20 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:07

Have you tried going into safe mode and running it in compatibility mode for say XP? If it's one thing I know how to do best and you can ask anyone here, is bork my system. My old philosphy: "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is." My new philosophy: "If it ain't broke, then leave it the Hell alone!"

#21 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:13

Whatever you learn will be of no practical use!

#22 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:18

Yes, you can do it with Orca.
Yes, you WILL break your system if you do it.

#23 OP Muzzy

Muzzy

Neowinian

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:34

ok I am willing to give it a shot how do I make the installation skip the prerequisite checks

At least I cant say I was not warned :)

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:56

AV's work on such a low level they NEED to be specifically coded for the OS/KErnel they're running on. Norton 2007 doesn't even know where to begin looking for stuff in the Win8 kernel, much less what it's doing in there when it's trying to hook in.

It will NOT work, it WILL break the system, there is NOTHING to be learned from forcing it to install.

#25 Matthew_Thepc

Matthew_Thepc

Neowinian

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:10

OP:

VerifyFile on MSI exec failed
No catalogs containing the hash for file 'C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe' passed WinVerifyTrust().
ProcessDWORDOption not found

it looks like this is less of a problem with prerequisite checks and more a problem of the msi itself being screwed up O.O
jm2c :)

#26 OP Muzzy

Muzzy

Neowinian

Posted 20 November 2012 - 23:07

if the msi is screwed then why does it work on other operating systems? there has to be a fix to get this going

#27 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:21

yes there is a fix, go to Nortons home page and download the latest version and use your working license on that.

#28 OP Muzzy

Muzzy

Neowinian

Posted 23 November 2012 - 00:43

I mean with orca I want to get it going if I break the system then so be it as I said it my secondary one that I use to play around with .

can someone please tell me how to edit it with orca I mean which table and command to use

#29 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 23 November 2012 - 00:49

I mean with orca I want to get it going if I break the system then so be it as I said it my secondary one that I use to play around with .

can someone please tell me how to edit it with orca I mean which table and command to use

you CANT, and there is no "if" it breaks your system

it's pretty much guaranteed that if you managed to force it to install it WOULD break the system

i can't understand on why you insist on forcing this to install. there's nothing to learn when the outcome is a given

#30 OP Muzzy

Muzzy

Neowinian

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:50

you CANT, and there is no "if" it breaks your system

it's pretty much guaranteed that if you managed to force it to install it WOULD break the system

i can't understand on why you insist on forcing this to install. there's nothing to learn when the outcome is a given

not to be rude but what do you care if I break my system or not .
If you don't know just admit it rather than acting like you know but u wont say. There is not shame in not knowing.

This is a forum where people ask questions and try to get answers not just "you will break your system".

I want to try so let me.
if you know the answer please give it to me otherwise if you don't know or just don't wish to help better you don't reply at all.

for the record I have tried 2009 and it installs and works fine that did not break anything so why would 2007. its just software.

so please either give me the answer I am looking for or don't bother replying.