HP Laptop Battery question

I have : HP Pavilion dv6-6c65sx Entertainment Notebook PC

I bough it as a Desktop Replacement, so, it is almost my only machine.I use it all the time.

I plug the AC Adapter to it with the battery in place , But I am not sure this is the best practice for it.

I heard the battery gets weaker when plugged to AC Adapter all time.

What is really the best practice, knowning that I rarely move with it.

Personally, with a laptop, I pretty much do the same, desktop replacement. As such, I make sure the battery is not plugged in. But I have used cable ties to secure my power cord.

The new Li-on batteries stops charging when it is full. So it does not degrade it a whole lot.

But I always practice to fully use the battery until it is on very low power and charge it up. Some people don't believe that, but all batteries do degrade overtime.

But I always practice to fully use the battery until it is on very low power and charge it up.

This is not really practical.But if this is what shoud be, then I will

But I find it hard to believe that all people do that.

Some people don't believe that, but all batteries do degrade overtime.

But I find it hard to believe that all people do that.

I already said that...

This is not really practical.But if this is what shoud be, then I will

Why were you asking us what to do, and say it isn't practical?

I used my laptop with the AC Adapter in more or less every time, the battery lasted around 3 years before it severely lost capacity, and has only just (2 days ago) stopped holding any charge at all, so over 3 years until complete death isn't bad

Heat reduces a Li-Ion battery's life. Laptops produce a lot of heat, so the battery will last longer if it's not connected to the laptop.

I've heard storing your battery in a sealed zipbag in the fridge @ 50% charge is the best way to preserve it if you're not going to be using it for a good while

It's really not ideal to have the laptops plugged into AC all the time. Many people do it here at my work docked in docking stations and the batteries die all the time.

I already said that...

Why were you asking us what to do, and say it isn't practical?

I 'm sorry, I might not have been clear enough.

I mean it is not practical to plug the AC adapter to the battery every time the the battery reaches very low capacity.somewhat annoying.

What I wanted to know is: what is the best practice for using the laptop as a desktop replacement and almost always on without worrying about the power supply?

I used my laptop with the AC Adapter in more or less every time, the battery lasted around 3 years before it severely lost capacity, and has only just (2 days ago) stopped holding any charge at all, so over 3 years until complete death isn't bad

Quite agree. If this is the expected, I will do the same

I've heard storing your battery in a sealed zipbag in the fridge @ 50% charge is the best way to preserve it if you're not going to be using it for a good while

I heard the same for some mildly damaged hard drives and worked once.

It's really not ideal to have the laptops plugged into AC all the time. Many people do it here at my work docked in docking stations and the batteries die all the time.

That is why I posted this topic and I really want to know the right thing to do

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My other question: is it OK to just remove the battery and just use the AC Adapter?

You can use the HP Battery Check from the HP Support Assistant (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-110990-1&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00821429&lc=en&swlinkmsg=300), it's a free software from HP that makes a report based on the current state of your battery. Also the new batteries won't even discharge at all if yout laptop is allways AC powered, so you can keep yout battery pluged in while on AC power and the cells will still keep the carge; see from yourself with that tool.

Having said that, keep in mind that the cooler your laptop is, the longer the components will last (including the battery). Also never do a full discharge because that kills the li-on cells on the long time (that i've got from a HP support); just plug in the AC adapter when the power is low.

I 'm sorry, I might not have been clear enough.

I mean it is not practical to plug the AC adapter to the battery every time the the battery reaches very low capacity.somewhat annoying.

So, don't do it if you find it to be wrong? I was telling you how I do it. Not how you should. We are giving you opinions, not surfire answers.