Jailbreaking iOS 6.0.1 on my iPhone 4?

I'm running 6.0.1 on my iPhone 4.

I had 5.1.1 jailbroken but had problems and had to resort. Thought I'd give 6 a try and see what I've been missing (not much apparently)

I know I can downgrade to 5.1.1 as Cydia has my SHSH blobs saved but I know there is a tethered jailbreak for 6 on older A4 devices.

Does anyone have any experience jailbreaking 6 on an iPhone4?

How annoying is it because it's tethered?

How annoying is it because it's tethered?

While I can't specifically comment on iOS 6, I've personally always found that the tethered options are annoying. If I'm not with my computer and I need to restart my device (or the battery dies), that's it. My options are gone until I get back to the computer.

Agreed, tethered JB aren't worth it unless you are near your computer 24/7, in which case i'm not. So if your phone randomly reboots, you lose the JB. In my case I lose ultrasn0w unlock so...

I thought the phone was still usable after a reboot, it just wouldn't have the jailbreak goodness??

Also does re-springing kill the jailbreak or is it just a reboot/shutdown?

I am kinda at a computer or really close to a computer 90% of the time (my work computer or my home computer) so that's not a huge issue especially if it's only a reboot that kills the jailbreak and not a re-spring.

I'm curious about what people's experiences with iOS 6 tethered jailbreak as well.

You should make sure that the apps you want to run are supported on iOS 6 before making your decision. Last I checked, MyWi still wasn't supported and BiteSMS was in beta. So those were the 2 big reasons why I downgraded to 5.1.1.

I had to use the SHSH "stitch" method to downgrade my iPhone 4 to 5.1.1 from 6. In the past I remember the processes being much simpler using TinyUmbrella as a server or pointing to Cydia's server.

For what it is worth, two things I miss from iOS 6 after downgrade:

* I really liked the Facebook Integration. I came across a jailbroken app that added Facebook sharing to Photos, but it was buggy and oddly caused weird texture problems in the OS. I can't remember what it is called, but "Sara" is what asks for permissions in Facebook. Yeah, avoid that one... Haven't found a good Facebook integration "hack' that competes with iOS 6.

* Apparently, the feature that allows Mountain Lion and iPad IOS 6 Messages app to use your phone number you have to have an iPhone on iOS 6. If you downgrade your iPhone, the use of those numbers in ML and other iOS 6 devices disappears.

For me, it was worth it. I need to have access to tethering and my provider (StraightTalk) provides no way to enable it on iOS. So MyWi is just a given. Also really like BiteSMS, PhoneNZB, and fl.ux.

I thought the phone was still usable after a reboot, it just wouldn't have the jailbreak goodness??

I don't have firsthand knowledge, but I think I read somewhere that with this jailbreak w/o a tethered boot you get a "Connect to iTunes" screen. Can't find something specifically at this moment though. There is so much bleeping "iOS 6 Jailbreak" spam. Someone new to twitter would probably think that there is a untethered jailbreak available by what all the spammers spew. Blah.

• 3 weeks later...

Far as my experiences with tethered jailbreaks

If my phone restarts or reboots while I'm away from my computer I won't have access to jail broken features otherwise my regular apps and functions still work properly

Far as my experiences with tethered jailbreaks

If my phone restarts or reboots while I'm away from my computer I won't have access to jail broken features otherwise my regular apps and functions still work properly

I think I heard that the iOS 6 tethered jailbreak is different than previous ones. This tethered jailbreak if you try and reboot your phone without following the procedure properly, then you get a "Connect to iTunes" screen, I think.

I'm happy with my 5.1.1 jailbreak on my iPhone 4 so I haven't tried it yet.

I probably have some reason to reboot my phone about once every 2-3 weeks. Either an app is hung or whatever...seems like it needs a reboot. The thought that I might be somewhere and not be able to use my phone is reason enough to not mess with tethered jailbreaks.

• 2 months later...