Photo

Windows 8: The Seven Roads Not Taken

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#91 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• 21,020 posts
  • Phone: An awesome Moto X for $150 off contract.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:55

My opinion on this is summed up in my signature. For those with deactivated signatures:

Evolution is not about quick and radical changes,

but about slow, gradual refinements of a concept over time.

#92 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

• 3,092 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:40

<snipped>

I am personally fine with Metro start screen. But it feels unfinished in terms of customization.

Edited by Calum, 23 November 2012 - 16:01. Reason: Talking about another member like that is not allowed here.

#93 contextfree

contextfree

Neowinian

• 321 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:54

then why have 2 control panels and two different settings and two ways of closing apps one for desktop and one for metro, and why have the taskbar you have the leftside gesture for open apps, and why have 3 ways to get to the start screen, "heck if winRT is so great why not get rid of the desktop and for everyone to accept the change, acording to a lot of people is for the better isn't it and whoever don't like it they can stay in win7"/s

Did you like only read that one sentence you highlighted? Maybe try reading the rest of my post that you replied to, wherein I already answered those questions?

#94 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• 3,650 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:23

Those points are easy to respond to imo. Your first 3 points all deal with the metro side of Windows 8. That side is designed to be touch first and geared toward media consumption for the most part. Think of Metro as the ipad experience for windows. So your points show why Metro is not made for all scenarios. Thankfully, Windows 8 also has a desktop environment that is equivalent to 7 with several new features and improvements on existing ones found in windows 7. Since you point out that you werent tied to the start menu, then the only differences are the hot corners and the charms menu.

Point 4 relates back to my above point. Its not that the tiles themselves require a MS account, its that MS now offers the option to save your metro experience (files, apps, settings, etc) in the cloud and to do that, you need an MS account. But you dont have to do this. I have setup a local account and used Metro apps without being online. Now you lose some functionality like live updates and live tile info, but you can still interact with apps. Also, if you want local access to files stored on say Skydrive, all you need to do is install the Skydrive app to the desktop and your files can be in constant sync, meaning that when your somewhere that does not have internet, your files are sitting there to be used. If you want to avoid the cloud stuff completely, then you can just use the desktop side with apps like Outlook.

Regarding point 5, I get what your saying about the hot corners, but my personal usage hasnt run into the issue. Yes the corners are triggered if you move your cursor there, but I haven't triggered the charms bar nearly as often as i thought i might. I am using a 24" LCD (1920x1200 res), so its a big screen. The only times I have run into this issue is when closing a full screen window. A couple of times I have triggered the charms menu, but it never has prevented my click from registering on the close button and it goes away very quickly. Again, this has not happened much (only when I overshoot the close button and actually push the cursor into the corner). I dont know the behavior with multiple monitors, so someone else will need to chime in on how it behaves when dragging windows from one to another. I will say this though, the charms bar does not show up unless you go to the corners, so if your moving windows through the middle, you shouldnt trigger anything. I happen to also have a pc with Win 8 on it that is connected to a large tv (60" LCD 1920x1080) and I have yet to trigger the charms bar accidently. It feel like the larger the screen, the less likely I am to overshoot the close button on full screen windows. So for me, the hot corners havent been any more intrusive then the buttons that use to be there for those frunctions.

So on to point 6, I really dont think you need to be worried about this one. Yes you can use keyboard shortcuts, but it does not need to be complicated. If your dealing with someone that is coming from windows 7, then its very easy to get them up to speed. I made those points a couple pages back in the thread. If your not using metro, then all you have to know is how the start screen works, the hot corners, and the charms bar. Everything else works as it did in 7. Most people didnt even use the start menu in 7, so it makes it even easier. Of course if you yourself dont try out 8, then it will be hard to support people using it. Trying to troubleshoot a problem without seeing what the see is almost impossible. That would be like trying to help people on a Mac when you dont actually have experience with it.

Finally, point 7. Considering how you want to use the system, you have no use for a tablet os, so metro can be largely ignored. The desktop side has some nice enhancments imo that are worth it if they apply to you. I dont know why so many like to paint Windows 8 as metro only, but the reality is much different. There are two experiences in this system. Luckily, you can almost completely ignore one if you arent using the other. Since the start screen is not an issue for you, then think of this as similar to Windows 7 with Media Center. Media Center is a totally different experience compared to the desktop on 7, and yet there are plenty of reasons to use one side or the other depending on how you want use the system. Same goes for Metro and Windows 8. In fact, Metro is an evolution of the media center experience in many ways. I would suggest you try and demo it as deeply as you can before deciding. If the multi-monitor setup turns out to not be an issue, then I think the improvements to the desktop warrant a look.

This all seems very true, I wouldn't personally make the connection between Media Centre and Modern UI, because Media Centre is less in your face, and workable with a media remote, (not that I've ever used it, I'm not sure Windows 7 pro even has it), well thanks for brightening my look on Windows 8. I'm almost tempted to boot it up again now.

#95 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• 809 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:05

[snip]
I am personally fine with Metro start screen. But it feels unfinished in terms of customization.

that is a good point actually, I always liked the start screen but I did always feel it was lacking something and never really knew what.

#96 jesseinsf

jesseinsf

Windows 7/8.1 Support Guru

• 1,047 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:29

I think the Start button was not only removed to force users to change and re-learn, but also to force OEMs to make touch screens and better products.

#97 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

• 3,092 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 15:09

Even if the desktop wallpaper is retained by Start screen in Windows 9, I would call that as an improvement.

#98 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

• 13,211 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 16:08

Thread cleaned

Please, everyone, focus on discussing the topic and not how other members post. If you dislike how any members word their posts, you have two options: 1) You can politely start a courteous personal message conversation with them and mention what it is about their posts you feel is irritating or going too far; or 2) You can use the ignore feature to ignore those members' posts.

Specifically targeting a member and publicly expressing your grievances with their method of posting is disallowed. Not only is it off topic, but those posts are often personal attacks.

Thank you for reading.