Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Oxford Dictionaries USA Word of the Year 2012:

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Today, Oxford Dictionaries announced the Oxford Dictionaries USA Word of the Year for 2012. Katherine Martin was one of the lexicographers on the judging panel and here are her reflections on the shortlist.

wordoftheyear-2012-GIF-final.gif

GIF verb to create a GIF file of (an image or video sequence, especially relating to an event): he GIFed the highlights of the debate

The GIF, a compressed file format for images that can be used to create simple, looping animations, turned 25 this year, but like so many other relics of the 80s, it has never been trendier. GIF celebrated a lexical milestone in 2012, gaining traction as a verb, not just a noun. The GIF has evolved from a medium for pop-cultural memes into a tool with serious applications including research and journalism, and its lexical identity is transforming to keep pace.

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE YEAR IN GIFING

January 2012: The New York Public Library launches the Stereogranimator, a tool enabling users to make GIFs of vintage stereographs in the library

1 person likes this

Posted

Ok, I have never heard anyone use GIF as a verb in my entire life. Plus shouldn't this have been Word of the Year 1993?

8 people like this

Posted

Ok, I have never heard anyone use GIF as a verb in my entire life. Plus shouldn't this have been Word of the Year 1993?

i thought the same thing. you hear people say "google it" all the time. who the hell ever says "gif it"?? :huh:

Posted

In before the lingutrolls who think that the English they use now is the same English from decades ago. :p

Glassed Silver:mac

Posted

In before the lingutrolls who think that the English they use now is the same English from decades ago. :p

I'm a lingutroll who admits the language changes, but this is a pretty dumb entry. It won't be relevant 10 years from now.

Posted

I'm a lingutroll who admits the language changes, but this is a pretty dumb entry. It won't be relevant 10 years from now.

Many old sayings we have have lost all their original meaning and still exist.

Same with many words that transitioned to more modern meanings.

That's how language evolves.

And whilst the file format might be replaced with something more modern, I think the idea of commenting on things or making memes out of something with animated graphics will stick around.

Posted

Yeah, never heard a single person use the word gif as a verb, but we can all just be thankful YOLO wasn't chosen.

Posted

seriously? I've NEVER heard anyone say that... heck.... when was the last time someone talked about a GIF image?... I'd expect PNG it to be more common..... but then..... GIF is an acronym not a verb :rolleyes: people don't go around saying JPEG it or MPEG it or PNG it why would they say GIF it?

when are we going to start putting misspellings in the dictionary just so grammar Nazi's can't say YOU SPELLED THAT WRONG!!!!!!!

Posted

wtf this is stupid

Posted

you know... after the past few years of internet words, I've lost almost all respect for the Oxford dictionary

Posted

Just think, they aren't but 10 years behind the rest of us.