• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,376 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 19 November 2012 - 21:46

I'm fairly impressed with how resilient Windows 8 has been thus far. Imagine back in the Vista or Windows 7 days - if a third-party driver or service disrupted an update installation mid-way, I'd expect the system to be borked. Here we have a version of Windows that doesn't explode even in the face of *hitty updates.

No? W7 has always updated perfectly fine for me even with dodgy drivers.
XP however, when SP3 was first released for AMD machines... ;)

#17 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,657 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 19 November 2012 - 21:49

It becomes a show stopper when these people's computers become part of a botnet because their computer cannot receive updates. I mean seriously, since when did having outdated AntiVirus software ever screw up OS hotfixing? Unless these people tried to force install incompatible A/V software, that sounds like a poor excuse to me.

Knowing how badly most AV software are written, are you really surprised?

#18 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• 3,095 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 920

Posted 19 November 2012 - 21:53

Your PCs != everyone else's... but hey, let's keep on apologising!

Lets keep nerd raging..

You haters are laughable at best. How do you have so much time to bash something you will never use or will never impact you?

#19 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,276 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 21:58

I am guess here, but people affected have not done a clean install but installed over their existing Windows 7 system. In general I would describe doing so as stupid and IMO it should not be allowed. A major OS update should be done fresh and clean.

I have not had any issues with updates on the three systems I am having Windows 8 running on. And yes, obviously all three were clean installs.

I did an upgrade install and have no problems.

I guess it's stupid that I didn't want to reinstall everything and deal with the DRM hassles.

#20 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,920 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 22:03

Time to put my "It's working on my computer" t-shirt on ...

#21 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

• 11,707 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 22:12

wish windows 8 is a giant failure

So after looking at the KB, it's a problem with the Out of Date AV software or 3rd party drivers..... not really sure how this is MS's problem TBH...

simple solution, include more drivers in windows update.and don't let users install out of date AV software. either by forcing them to remove during upgrade process or block the install

#22 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,697 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 19 November 2012 - 22:19

Excpt the article says it halts on all computers, unless you disable all third party services.

I'm smelling a rat.

#23 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

• 11,707 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 22:19

I am guess here, but people affected have not done a clean install but installed over their existing Windows 7 system. In general I would describe doing so as stupid and IMO it should not be allowed. A major OS update should be done fresh and clean. I have not had any issues with updates on the three systems I am having Windows 8 running on. And yes, obviously all three were clean installs.

that a good way to do stuff if you don't know how to maintain your PC properly.

its the cowards way out, i know people that reinstall their OS every time they f-ed up something on their PC, they have no idea how to fix it, and just reinstall.

my main rig was originally installed with Vista, then SP1, then SP2 updated to 7 and then SP1, thought that time i went from Q6600 on nforce to 920 on intel chipset and now 3770k. With zero performance issues.

Server from 2003 to 2003 R2, to 2008 to 2008 R2 and now 2012, and again 3-4 motherboards changes, no reinstalls.

ZERO PERFORMANCE ISSUES.

#24 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• 1,783 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 22:26

I upgraded my PC from 7 -> 8, preserving all of my files and data. So far the only issue has been my AMD/Intel combo graphics card, but that's it.

#25 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,178 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 22:59

No, but for every 1 person seeing this issue.. 50,000 are not. Yet the 49,999 are not going to go write stories about it.. only the 1 person having an issue is going to start a forum thread somewhere to complain. So when something like this is posted, think about how many are not seeing the issue. It is hardly a "show-stopper".... do they even know what that means?

I remember this argument when the RRoD on the XBox 360 came up. Turned out that the very vast majority of XBox 360's from the first 2 years resulted in RRoD. Turned out that all the people saying what you just said, were dead wrong.

But, I get what you are saying and overall tend to agree with your sentiment. People complain more than they compliment. I always point that out when people are agonizing over making a choice on Newegg because of a couple bad reviews... Just that, sometimes (like in the instance of the last mass produced piece of Microsoft hardware, the XBox 360).

#26 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,721 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 19 November 2012 - 23:05

I remember this argument when the RRoD on the XBox 360 came up. Turned out that the very vast majority of XBox 360's from the first 2 years resulted in RRoD. Turned out that all the people saying what you just said, were dead wrong.

the difference here is that all 360s have the same hardware, not quite true with the PC market

#27 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,869 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 23:11

Having received two show-stoppers in a row, many Windows 8 users are now threatening to go Apple.

"I do blame Microsoft because unlike Apple who don't claim to support ever piece of hardware out there Microsoft do actually claim this otherwise they would have gone down the same route as Apple and only built their own hardware," said one user. "So it Microsoft's fault for not having a test pool large enough to stop most people from running into problems like this. It would appear that windows 8 is suffering like Vista did."

"Maybe I should just uninstall Windows 8 and go get a Mac," said another.

LOL WAT?
So they had a problem with Windows and they're ready to jump to another platform? Must be raining money these days. And Apple is better because...it doesn't support more drivers then Microsoft? :laugh: oh dear..
and finally...yeah just uninstall Windows 8 (and leave your laptop/desktop without an OS :D ) and got get a Mac... :rofl:

#28 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,178 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 23:11

the difference here is that all 360s have the same hardware, not quite true with the PC market

Woops...I thought we were talking specifically about the Microsoft Surface.

#29 +mram

mram

Neowinian

• 233 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 23:27

The only appropriate answer that Microsoft could provide that would keep people from going Mac:

"Clearly, you're updating it wrong."

#30 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 23:29

All I can say for any platform is don't be an early adapter if you don't want to struggle with problems. Stay with the tried and true until you are sure the newer platform is ready for your use.