Windows 8 Customers Fuming Over Spotty Updates

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

• 1,434 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 14:02

I am curious, when was the last time AV or hardware driver actually prevented a windows update from installing?

#47 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

• 3,013 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 14:15

I am curious, when was the last time AV or hardware driver actually prevented a windows update from installing?

Last time I had to do anything other than let automatic updates do its thing was Windows XP SP2 - had to disable my AV for it to update.

The issues are technically down to the third parties involved, but Microsoft has to take a little bit of responsibility for changing something in the update that is going to cause massive issues in specific circumstances. If an AV literally needs to be disabled, why not display a message as such then use action center to confirm (ie. "oh noes you have no AV enabled" = update can go ahead)? If a driver has to be updated, why not display a message or try to find the updated driver prior to running the update that requires it?

Fortunate thing is despite the issues it seems to be recovering itself completely rather than just stuffing things up permanently.

#48 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,771 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 20 November 2012 - 14:45

In this case it's out of date AV that doesn't support the OS on which it has been installed. and due to the way AV's incorporate into the OS and kernel, running an unsupported one will not only make your system unstable, it also may nto provide any protection and will cause problems like this.

#49 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,310 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 15:48

Happened in Vista (iirc) and 7, that's why they had to update the servicing stack and update the service pack installers here and there.

Of course back then it often just hosed the OS instead of not installing.

#50 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

• 1,865 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:49

So, people don't keep their software / drivers up to date, it messes with updates, MS gets the blame.

Cretins. Absolute cretins. I wonder how many of them are qualified IT professionals too?