• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 20 November 2012 - 00:18

First thing I do after installing Windows is disable User Account Control. It's completely useless if you know what you're doing, and it's annoying to allow a program you trust every single time you launch it. Now if it had a "remember this choice" option then I might leave it on.

/palm. You probably disable system restore too.

#17 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:50

group policy or local group policy > Computer configuration > policys > windows >security > local

Silently elevates and dosnt brake the windows store, Good enough for a home network (Y)

maybe i missed something, but i don't it worked on my server 2012 machine.

makemkv when started normally will not detect any drives, but when run as administrator it will detect them.

just one example, still same issue.

#18 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:53

I said I don't need it and it's annoying, but if it doesn't annoy me then I don't care if it is on or not. What's hard to understand about that?

No you said it's completely useless if you know what you're doing(which is actually wrong in itself, but that aside), Then you said you would leave it on if it had a "remember" function, which demonstrates that you don't know what you're doing. hence a contradiction, and invalidated.

#19 AngelGraves13

AngelGraves13

Neowinian

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:06

/palm. You probably disable system restore too.

Yes, System Restore is useless and slows down my hard drive.

No you said it's completely useless if you know what you're doing(which is actually wrong in itself, but that aside), Then you said you would leave it on if it had a "remember" function, which demonstrates that you don't know what you're doing. hence a contradiction, and invalidated.

I always install the same programs, so it doesn't matter to me if it's on or not. What annoys me to no end is when it asks me if I want to launch a program that I've already installed like Diskeeper. Diskeeper needs to access the Management Console, so it needs permission through UAC. Another program is Origin, which gives a UAC prompt at startup. Steam doesn't require it, but some games need to be launched as Administrator to install completely the first time. It's a mess.

If I leave it on it annoys me and does nothing. If I turn it off it doesn't annoy me and still does nothing because I still launch the same ****ing programs. In Windows 8 you can't even turn it off, so this whole ****ing thread is invalidated and pointless.

#20 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:38

:facepalm:

#21 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows Embedded Standard 8 & Server 2012/08 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:15

maybe i missed something, but i don't it worked on my server 2012 machine.

makemkv when started normally will not detect any drives, but when run as administrator it will detect them.

just one example, still same issue.

Mod the shortcut to run as admin and your done, The group policy just makes "run as admin" silently elevate without the secure desktop and dialog ie like a regular shortcut.

#22 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 15:37

Mod the shortcut to run as admin and your done, The group policy just makes "run as admin" silently elevate without the secure desktop and dialog ie like a regular shortcut.

that won't really help, trying to do what I had on windows 7/Server 2008 R2, so everytime I double click on an program or shortcut it automatically starts it with admin rights. changing all shortcuts is dedious work

#23 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 20 November 2012 - 15:52

Angel Graves: You clearly don't know as much as you think you do about UAC and system restore!

#24 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:03

I don't use system restore either, it's always one of the first things I disable when I install Windows. Never caused me issues yet

#25 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:32

Never caused me issues yet

#26 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:45

had it off on all PCs (4-5 pcs) every since it was introduced was it in XP or vista?

I do monthly backup of C drive, thats all I need. never needed system restore though all these years, don't need a useless service to steal gigs of hdd/ssd space and slow down the hdd/ssd.

if you know how to use your PC you will never need it.

had to restore C drive one time, because blu-ray drive was slowing down to 2.8x while burning, realized what was causing it, uninstalled daemon tools and problem solved.

#27 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:47

Sigh. You should not disable UAC. Just learn to live with it. If you find it that irritating you have a medical problem with your temper that you should probably get checked out.

#28 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 20 November 2012 - 17:03

First thing I do after installing Windows is disable User Account Control. It's completely useless if you know what you're doing, and it's annoying to allow a program you trust every single time you launch it. Now if it had a "remember this choice" option then I might leave it on.

if you knew what you are doing, you wouldn't actually disable it.

#29 Innuendo

Innuendo

Neowinian

Posted 20 November 2012 - 17:06

A person who wants to run as administrator full-time with UAC turned off is the equivalent to the Linux user who wants to run everything as root.

#30 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 20 November 2012 - 17:11

A person who wants to run as administrator full-time with UAC turned off is the equivalent to the Linux user who wants to run everything as root.

If you really knew what root means on linux... no, root is by far more powerful on linux that just disabling UAQ on windows.

P.D. System Restore/UAQ/Defender always disabled on first boot, that's just pure rubbish going on there.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!