Photo

Any word if Firefox 17 is going to come out tomorrow the 20th

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 MurkWorks

MurkWorks

Neowinian

Posted 20 November 2012 - 19:41

Did help and about and received the version 17 update..

#17 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 November 2012 - 20:36

Did the same. All went smooth and all my extensions were compatible.

#18 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 November 2012 - 20:43

Ok, I have tried the normal 17.0 release from a clean install of FF, not as an update and within a few moments, it froze and then crashed. Crashing my system also. I uninstalled it, ran Ccleaner and installed the ESR and I have been running the the ESR for over an hour now and no issues. Sorry to all you FF fans, but there is a differnce. ESR is much more stable and I would say it is probably meant for businesses. Businesses need a stable release, not a fly-by-night-bang-out-the-numbers-release and the release channel is crap.

#19 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 20 November 2012 - 20:50

Ok, I have tried the normal 17.0 release from a clean install of FF, not as an update and within a few moments, it froze and then crashed. Crashing my system also. I uninstalled it, ran Ccleaner and installed the ESR and I have been running the the ESR for over an hour now and no issues. Sorry to all you FF fans, but there is a differnce. ESR is much more stable and I would say it is probably meant for businesses. Businesses need a stable release, not a fly-by-night-bang-out-the-numbers-release and the release channel is crap.

sounds like you should have just upgraded instead of the clean install. ive been running 17 all afternoon w/o issue.

#20 vetRadishTM

RadishTM

Neowinian

Posted 20 November 2012 - 20:55

Upgraded but unable to open the Add-ons page via the Firefox menu, hmmm.

#21 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 November 2012 - 21:01

The ESR and standard release are the same, other than the update channel that they point to.

If the machine crashed then something in the system caused that...and Firefox runs in Userland...so you might want to look at that.

#22 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 November 2012 - 21:02

sounds like you should have just upgraded instead of the clean install. ive been running 17 all afternoon w/o issue.

I'll stick with the ESR release.

The ESR and standard release are the same, other than the update channel that they point to.

If the machine crashed then something in the system caused that...and Firefox runs in Userland...so you might want to look at that.

See above. It works for me.

#23 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 November 2012 - 21:05

I'll stick with the ESR release.

See above. It works for me.

I did see above. :p

My point was that if the whole system went down then something at the system level took it down...a driver or Windows service of some sort.

The browser itself runs in 'Userland' and can't take down the OS on its own...now it may have made a call to something...and that something failed and took the system down...but it still means you need to find out what caused it...since it is likely to happen again at some point.

#24 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 November 2012 - 21:08

I did see above. :p

My point was that if the whole system went down then something at the system level took it down...a driver or Windows service of some sort.

The browser itself runs in 'Userland' and can't take down the OS on its own...now it may have made a call to something...and that something failed and took the system down...but it still means you need to find out what caused it...since it is likely to happen again at some point.

Where would you like me to check?

#25 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 November 2012 - 21:08

Check the Event Viewer. It should list the cause of the crash. :)

#26 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 00:48

Yep, got it here too. Smooth as always.

#27 Sub_Zero_Alchemist

Sub_Zero_Alchemist

Neowinian

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:46

Upgraded but unable to open the Add-ons page via the Firefox menu, hmmm.

Upgraded as well. No problem here, opened up fine.

#28 vetRadishTM

RadishTM

Neowinian

Posted 21 November 2012 - 23:08

Upgraded as well. No problem here, opened up fine.

Went back to Firefox 16, works again. With Firefox 17, I deleted extension related files (.rdf, .sqlite etc.) from my profile folder (per advice via Mozilla forums) and it recreated them upon startup but still didn't open up the Add-ons page.

Don't want to be creating a new profile, so I'll be waiting for Firefox 18 to be released in a few weeks time with this bug fixed hopefully :laugh:

#29 Syanide

Syanide

From here to infirmary.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 23:17

So where exactly are the social features and what do I do with it?