Photo

Do you use Google Now?

google android

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you use Google Now?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Do you use Google Now?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• 5,381 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:18

If it was available for my Bionic.. I'd use it.

#17 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,327 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:25

I don't use search boxes

Then Bing "Google Now" so you know what it is...

#18 Julius Caro

Julius Caro

Neowinian Senior

• 5,982 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:39

It is VERY useful, but it obviously depends on many factors. At this point there are so many cards, that most people just don't know about them. Public transit times only work in some cities, not all. So the card showing you the departure schedules of transit stops nearby will not work if you're not in one of these cities.
Same goes for the movies ones. Basically if you're in the US, you're good. Google.com does indeed give me showtimes at my local theater in spain, but they will never show on google now (apparently google now will show you the showtimes if you're nearby, on your movie days, etc).

The flight tracking tool is VERY useful, especially now that it gets data from gmail (Im not sure if it fetches data from calendar too, but that would be great).

Sure, most people are gonna be quick to jump with the skynet comments. But the way I see it, google now or not, they already had that information if you're a google user (gmail, google search, and calendar). So you may as well enjoy them actually using for something that is useful to you.

The one I like the most is the traffic updates to/from home/work (this will require traffic to be enabled on google maps in your area). That way I can tell whether there is any traffic jam and just hold off until it clears out.

Edit: the siri-like search features are pretty much the online google.com interface paired with voice recognition for your query and speech synthesis for the reply. It's the cards that pop up out of nowhere when you need them, right when you need the information, or before you need the information, that are the most useful. (sports results, appointments, flight status, public transit, public alerts, movies).

There are some very obvious examples of cards that pop up after a google search (on a PC or phone where you are logged in with search history enabled):
- news stories based on a previous query. you will get a card with a "a story related to a previous search was just published"
- flight statuses (they show up on google now either because you googled the flight number or because this was read on gmail)
- travel times to a location that you previously searched for on google maps. very useful when you google directions on a computer, then google now picks it up and you dont even have to retype
- concert alerts for your most searched artists (probably works only in the US, never seen this one).

theres an undocumented one, the pedometer, that tracks the distances you've walked and cycled during a month (tho this is probably very experimental, it's based on your location history)

basically google now learns from what you do when you interact with google services (search), from your emails (flight times and package tracking), your calendar appointments, and your location history (based on certain patterns it will realize where home is, where work).

i like the idea of giving your results before you even look for them.

#19 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,153 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:46

Gotta say that here in the UK it's limited. The amount of localised data (such as public transport) is not good enough for full use yet.

#20 (Spork)

(Spork)

ANDROID-APPLE

• 4,786 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:48

use it about every day

#21 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:36

Yep. Big Google fan here.

#22 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,664 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:48

Don't even have the slightest clue what it is.
Been threw 14 Android phones and haven't noticed it or even a search box for that matter.
Maybe I'll look into it.

#23 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

I'm sorry, do you still exist?

• 1,776 posts
  • Phone: Stock LG Nexus 5

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:50

I find that it rarely shows information I want to actually see, despite having set it up correctly. I also find that only when it's connected to WiFi does it display anything more than the weather. It's actually super annoying. Once in a blue moon it might show traffic from where I'm at to home or Work. Doesn't happen often though.

Don't even have the slightest clue what it is.
Been threw 14 Android phones and haven't noticed it or even a search box for that matter.
Maybe I'll look into it.

It wasn't introduced until Jelly Bean so it's doubtful you would've come across it before then ;) http://www.google.com/landing/now/

#24 Xahid

Xahid

Anokha Neowinian

• 5,957 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:04

Then Bing "Google Now" so you know what it is...

I know, what it is, used it once but don't like to use it anymore ...

#25 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

I'm sorry, do you still exist?

• 1,776 posts
  • Phone: Stock LG Nexus 5

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:12

Forgot to mention as well, I nulled my vote. Simply because "Yes, but it doesn't work properly." wasn't an option. Or at least something similar.

#26 Neowon

Neowon

Neowinian

• 69 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:16

Yes. I even read my news on Google.

#27 OP iron2000

iron2000

Mecha-mad

• 2,013 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:14

Ok, I started to use it fully as well but currently it just shows weather and when I'm out it shows traffic as well.

#28 Asrokhel

Asrokhel

Neowinian

• 1,027 posts
  • OS: Windows 8 Pro x64 (testing to see if I keep it or go back to Windows 7)

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:22

Use it sometimes, which isn't even an option for the poll, didn't vote.

#29 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• 6,755 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:42

Nope.

I used to be able to swipe up and start talking but now I have to click on the little microphone.
It might be good if I embraced it but I I still not convinced I'll get enough out of it to warrant it tracking my moves... yet.

#30 +beanboy89

beanboy89

Neowinian

• 1,375 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5

Posted 24 November 2012 - 22:37

I just use it as a rudimentary weather app. Will occasionally use it for web search if I'm not already in the web browser. This is on my rooted Kindle Fire.