Nexus 10 vs Surface video shootout

Armondo does a quick video review of the Nexus 10 vs Surface

http://youtu.be/IwBJ1ilHH6U

Interesting how much more vibrant the surface is and visually appealing considering the Nexus 10 is supposed to out PPI the device exponentially - it looks like they have the hardware resolution but have to scale the graphics down for some reason - that or this unit has to be a bad unit period.

• Like 4

There's also a part 2:

The Surface looks amazing. If I had to get another tablet, I would definitely get the Surface with type cover.

The youtube responses are cringe worthy.. people are telling him he's doing it wrong, that the Surface is a full blown PC and shouldn't be compared against the "tablet" nexus - so on and so forth. I love my surface, but I was hoping the Nexus would be stellar on its specs as people claim it to be. real world use is looking quite different. It even looks like the screen is banding in some of the image scaling but that could be the video itself too

That's an excellent comparison. It points out genuine usability differences which I previously would have thought would be in the Nexus 10's favour. I'm kinda disappointed by the Nexus 10, as on paper it looks like a much better tablet.

• Like 2

I thought he was too generous about the Nexus in the second review because the colours during Iron Man looked really washed out compared to the Surface and the browsing experience on the Nexus was just second rate. I'm surprised that Google would release a flagship device at such a high price with such obvious flaws.

The problem here is google chrome on a tablet.

It simply sucks. Bring back the Stock browser.

This is just it. While I like Chrome for the sync abilities, I just love the simplicity/speed of the stock browser. This is what I use on my Galaxy Nexus!

Maybe but it also seems to me that the inclusion of a display that focuses on resolution at the expense of quality is a problem. Relying on hardware specs rather than optimised software is a constant problem for Android and it's unrealistic to expect websites to include high-res artwork that will look good on a high-res display. It's also sad to see that Android still suffers from the same old lagginess that has always plagued it.

It's pretty clear that, despite the PPI snobbery that you get from reviewers and fanboys, Microsoft made the right choices when they were developing the Surface.

Armondo does a quick video review of the Nexus 10 vs Surface Interesting how much more vibrant the surface is and visually appealing considering the Nexus 10 is supposed to out PPI the device exponentially - it looks like they have the hardware resolution but have to scale the graphics down for some reason - that or this unit has to be a bad unit period.

Of course its fuzzy, the resolution of Google image doesn't not change with a higher resolution screen. You have low res gfx logo being up-scaled.

The surface resolution is 1366x768 or 1920x1080 pixels (RT vs Pro), if you take images and shrink down such as 1600x1200 they look good still but if you take a small google logo or website gfx they need to be scaled and will look like crap. This is a internet problem not a tablet problem.

My retina mac running windows 8 has the same issue, the tablet cant change internet resources nor can my macbook.

**EDIT**

Commenting only on the FUZZY issue, not color reproduction or any other issue in the video.

**EDIT2**

Confirmed he is comparing the Windows 8 RT low res vs high res and then talking about why its scaling. Geezzz

Source YouTube Description: //Nexus 10 is running Android 4.2 JellyBean and Microsoft Surface Tablet is Running the latest version (at the time of filming) of Windows 8 RT//

• 2 weeks later...

This is just it. While I like Chrome for the sync abilities, I just love the simplicity/speed of the stock browser. This is what I use on my Galaxy Nexus!

I'm confused. Isn't Chrome the "stock browser" on any Android device since Android is Google and Chrome is Google? I think Chrome is wonderful on the desktop and on the tablet/phone. What browser would you use if not Chrome?

I'm confused. Isn't Chrome the "stock browser" on any Android device since Android is Google and Chrome is Google? I think Chrome is wonderful on the desktop and on the tablet/phone. What browser would you use if not Chrome?

No, Android has a built in browser that's just called "Browser". I always replace it immediately with Chrome though. Don't know what issues other people have with Chrome, but I don't have any.

No, Android has a built in browser that's just called "Browser". I always replace it immediately with Chrome though. Don't know what issues other people have with Chrome, but I don't have any.

Yeah, Android is transitioning to Chrome as the only browser. I love the stock browser for its speed, it's much faster than Chrome (leaps and bounds). Chrome is way too laggy for me, from scrolling to opening the new tab page. But, it has so much potential/features over stock browser.

Yeah, Android is transitioning to Chrome as the only browser. I love the stock browser for its speed, it's much faster than Chrome (leaps and bounds). Chrome is way too laggy for me, from scrolling to opening the new tab page. But, it has so much potential/features over stock browser.

I guess the combo of having a top of the line phone with CM10 and LTE make that less of an issue for me. Doesn't really seem laggy to me, but hey, I haven't used the original browser for a while. So maybe I'll give it a try and see.

I have 3 Android devices from Google and all run Chrome beautifully. Maybe you need modern hardware for it to work well? I'm new to Android so I don't know. I love Chrome though..

Exactly. I uninstalled Chrome on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. The stock browser is much better.

I have 3 Android devices from Google and all run Chrome beautifully. Maybe you need modern hardware for it to work well? I'm new to Android so I don't know. I love Chrome though..

Galaxy Nexus isn't really outdated. I'll admit it doesn't have the latest and greatest CPU, but dual core A9 OMAP-4460 at 1.3 GHz is not bad at all. The stock browser just is more fluid for me on this phone.

I don't think any of my Android devices even have a browser called "Broswer". Thinks that's because they are all from Google? lol

He wasn't even running Chrome in the 'Desktop Mode' which can be activated from the Chrome drop down menu. Doing so would have changed the user agent to the PC version of Chrome hence? making the experience PC-like just like on the Surface. Else all websites will be rendered in? mobile/tablet format with lower resolution images. Chrome on Android by default uses the mobile/tablet user agent instead of the PC one. IE10 on the surface does things differently, websites won't be 'aware' that the Surface is a Tablet since the UA is that of the PC version of IE.

I don't think any of my Android devices even have a browser called "Broswer". Thinks that's because they are all from Google? lol

Well, yeah. There's no doubt that Google wants to move towards Chrome as it's default browser, and they should. It brings the browser in line with their desktop offerings and adds a lot of features that way. But Chrome is also definitely heavier than the stock Browser. One newer devices, the power can make up for the difference which is why you're starting to seem them push it, but I could see people with slower devices having more trouble.