Elmo actor resigns from Sesame Street in wake of sex scandal

Fresh lawsuit alleges underage relationship by Kevin Clash

hi-elmo-3s0txsoh-8col.jpg

Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash has resigned from Sesame Workshop in the wake of allegations of underage sex.

(Victoria Will/Associated Press)

Sesame Workshop says Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash has resigned from Sesame Street in the wake of allegations that he had sex with an under-aged youth.

Last week a man accused Clash of having sex with him when he was a teenage boy, a charge Clash denied. A day later, the man recanted his charge.

Lawyer Cecil Singleton says a lawsuit by a second accuser was filed today.

Sesame Workshop called the controversy surrounding Clash's personal life "a distraction that none of us want" and says it led to his decision to leave the show.

Clash created the voice and persona for Elmo, who has become one of Sesame Street's most popular characters. Other puppeteers are carrying on the Elmo character.

Clash issued a statement saying he was "resigning from Sesame Workshop with a very heavy heart."

"I have loved every day of my 28 years working for this exceptional organization," the statement said. "Personal matters have diverted attention away from the important work Sesame Street is doing and I cannot allow it to go on any longer. I am deeply sorry to be leaving and am looking forward to resolving these personal matters privately."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2012/11/20/elmo-resigns.html