Windows 8 Start Menu Mock-up

I agree that the Start Screen is a launcher of sorts; as was the start menu. You went there to "launch" the application you were looking for. Only difference now is that the we have a screen full of shortcuts as opposed to a small menu of them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I wanted to help overcome some limitations of mouse/keyboard interface while keeping everything touch friendly and new.

iREMA.jpg

HLI5N.jpg

In the normal mode, the Start Menu will default at 4 or even 5 tiles high with the ability to adjust to go from one corner to the other. It will never get wider unless a search is done or you tap All Programs. Tapping "Apps" will take you to the Start Screen. Power and Settings buttons should be pretty obvious.

Any tile will have the ability to be "Pinned to Start Menu", as shown here with the weather, Maps and Skydrive Apps. Any tile shown that are not pinned will be based on what is open or has been open. Mouse wheeling or finger sliding/flicking will spin thru this list of tiles (in this example it shows Desktop and Calendar) of all your currently running tiles. The new tiles will slide up or down according to the scroll or flick direction. If no more than one App is currently launched whatever is shown will be based on frequency of use. This will eliminate the task switcher from the top left hot corner as well. This also gives you a quick view of live tile data (such as temperature) without compromising or covering your current work flow.

Also shown on this screenshot is Gadgets. They are not like Windows 7 and older gadgets. They are simply live tiles that can be pinned to your desktop screen and are covered up by any windows just as in prior versions of Windows with gadgets.

Thoughts?

It's nice and all, although if one was not planning metro at all it may not be for them.

What are all those hideous rectangles?

A user's interpretation of the Modern UI. Which I am pretty sure you knew, but tried to ask a douchy rhetorical question anyhow...