win8

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:31

The second screenshot doesn't work. You can't touch 16x16px lists of icons. You just can't.

Why do you keep wanting to touch things all the time? This is for the DESKTOP. So we don't get a castrated DESKTOP UI we have now in W8. So we don't get epilepsy from switching from DESKTOP to Start Scree. Capito?

Stop fighting the Desktop UI. We have it for a reason.

#17 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:34

Why do you keep wanting to touch things all the time? This is for the DESKTOP. So we don't get a castrated DESKTOP UI we have now in W8. So we don't get epilepsy from switching from DESKTOP to Start Scree. Capito?

Stop fighting the Desktop UI. We have it for a reason.

Hmm. Strange, I still have the desktop in Windows 8. Hell, I'm using it right now.

All of these designs are not device neutral. That's where the problem lies.

#18 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:39

All of these designs are not device neutral. That's where the problem lies.

NO, YOU'RE making it a problem. A UI that's device neutral doesn't work for everything. A phone is not a tablet and a tablet isn't a desktop. Stop acting like they need to have the same UI. They don't, try and understand this.

#19 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:42

NO, YOU'RE making it a problem. A UI that's device neutral doesn't work for everything. A phone is not a tablet and a tablet isn't a desktop. Stop acting like they need to have the same UI. They don't, try and understand this.

It's working here. Start works with touch, motion, mouse and keyboard. If you were a system developer, this is gold. It makes your job easier by not having to support excess crap. Start is everything the old menu used to be and more. Your desktop is still there. Start isn't taking that away, but in due time, it too will evolve to meet the needs of the hardware of the time.

#20 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:45

It's working here. Start works with touch, motion, mouse and keyboard. If you were a system developer, this is gold. It makes your job easier by not having to support excess crap. Start is everything the old menu used to be and more.

If the Start screen is so perfect why do you have multiple posts stating that you use the Desktop still? I mean if its the holy grail you speak of shouldn't you be spending 100% of your time in Metro? Hmm?

#21 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:49

If the Start screen is so perfect why do you have multiple posts stating that you use the Desktop still? I mean if its the holy grail you speak of shouldn't you be spending 100% of your time in Metro? Hmm?

Start is just a launcher. It's not an operating environment. However, Start adds more dynamic functionality that I absolutely love, and the biggest part is none of my icons are crammed in a hard to see, tiny ass menu. Start lays them all out in a pattern I specify.

Also, if you really do want to know, I do use nothing but Metro apps on my laptop. They fill my needs perfectly. Having a small 1366x768 screen, my desktop is run full screen only, so the switcher to Metro was non problematic.

#22 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:59

Start is just a launcher. It's not an operating environment. However, Start adds more dynamic functionality that I absolutely love, and the biggest part is none of my icons are crammed in a hard to see, tiny ass menu. Start lays them all out in a pattern I specify.

Also, if you really do want to know, I do use nothing but Metro apps on my laptop. They fill my needs perfectly. Having a small 1366x768 screen, my desktop is run full screen only, so the switcher to Metro was non problematic.

So it's just a launcher now? Ahh I see now :rolleyes:

Sounds like a setup like this is more suited for you buddy.

Posted Image

How about you leave the Desktops for the big boys and their businesses.

#23 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:06

Start has always been a launcher. Metro apps don't run in Start. They are not dependent on the screen to run.

#24 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:33

Start has always been a launcher. Metro apps don't run in Start. They are not dependent on the screen to run.

Uhh the Start Screen is more than just a launcher. Metro apps do depend on it. Think of the start screen as the "Metro Shell". It is the very essence of TwinUI, without it, metro apps would simply not work. They chose to made a dual function shell in a way so that if you never hit the desktop tile, the explorer code for desktop never actually loads. The start screen, and thus WinRT is quite literally an OS within an OS.

#25 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 27 November 2012 - 18:02

Jesus Christ will someone ban Derp Matrix already. Such idiocy it raising my blood pressure. I mean seriously, he's done nothing to advance the OT and is just distractionary flamebait, fueled by his inexperienced and unfactual declarations.

#26 c.grz

c.grz

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 28 November 2012 - 22:55

I agree that the Start Screen is a launcher of sorts; as was the start menu. You went there to "launch" the application you were looking for. Only difference now is that the we have a screen full of shortcuts as opposed to a small menu of them.

#27 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 14 December 2012 - 17:34

any luck with this mate? I'd very much like to see something come of this :)

#28 ehabsoft

ehabsoft

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:45

good work

#29 Rickkins

Rickkins

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy S3

Posted 21 April 2013 - 13:43

I wanted to help overcome some limitations of mouse/keyboard interface while keeping everything touch friendly and new.

Posted Image

Posted Image

In the normal mode, the Start Menu will default at 4 or even 5 tiles high with the ability to adjust to go from one corner to the other. It will never get wider unless a search is done or you tap All Programs. Tapping "Apps" will take you to the Start Screen. Power and Settings buttons should be pretty obvious.

Any tile will have the ability to be "Pinned to Start Menu", as shown here with the weather, Maps and Skydrive Apps. Any tile shown that are not pinned will be based on what is open or has been open. Mouse wheeling or finger sliding/flicking will spin thru this list of tiles (in this example it shows Desktop and Calendar) of all your currently running tiles. The new tiles will slide up or down according to the scroll or flick direction. If no more than one App is currently launched whatever is shown will be based on frequency of use. This will eliminate the task switcher from the top left hot corner as well. This also gives you a quick view of live tile data (such as temperature) without compromising or covering your current work flow.

Also shown on this screenshot is Gadgets. They are not like Windows 7 and older gadgets. They are simply live tiles that can be pinned to your desktop screen and are covered up by any windows just as in prior versions of Windows with gadgets.

Thoughts?

It's nice and all, although if one was not planning metro at all it may not be for them.

#30 delete

delete

Neowinian

Posted 22 April 2013 - 19:13

What are all those hideous rectangles?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!