Linux Instead of Windows

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
149 replies to this topic

#61 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:07

I still play around with Puppy but rarely any other Linux any more. I've gotten to hate dual booting, so I mainly stay in Windows since I need it for my work.

I have Zenwalk, http://www.zenwalk.org/ installed exclusively on one machine just to stay up to speed on Linux a little. Never much liked dual booting and don't like VM'ing at all. Zenwalk pretty much has support for everything out of the box such as flash and Windows codecs and unrar installed by default, so no need to go hunting that junk down.

24GB's of memory?! Ridiculous!! :woot:

#62 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:12

As someone that has gone through some redhat training I would love to have my main OS be Linux, but as a PC gamer I have come to settle with Windows

#63 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:27

And yet some people do... You don't like Linux, some people don't like Windows 8. Choice.

I didn't say I didn't like it. I just feel it doesn't really have software that can compete with Windows.
My killer app for Linux for me personally is Asterisk, everything else has already been ported to Windows in the first place (but not the other way around).

I installed Ubuntu last night and followed instructions to install nVidia drivers from a repo. When I rebooted, I was able to log in but my whole UI was gone. It's things like this that make me afraid of Linux. I can't seem to accomplish a simple task such as installing video drivers.

Are you running on a real computer or on a virtual machine?

#64 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 22 November 2012 - 13:19

I installed Ubuntu last night and followed instructions to install nVidia drivers from a repo. When I rebooted, I was able to log in but my whole UI was gone. It's things like this that make me afraid of Linux. I can't seem to accomplish a simple task such as installing video drivers.

Is this installed as a virtual machine, or is it a normal install? I just saw you mentioned you were using one earlier in the thread...

If its a normal install, have you tried just using the inbuilt additional drivers tool yet (Search for "software sources in dash and choose the additional drivers tab)? You shouldn't need to add extra repos or anything. Its just a few clicks to install the nvidia driver, it isn't hard. Going there and clicking activate should "just work". If it doesn't work that sounds like a problem with nvidia's driver and not linux in general...

If its a vm you may not even want to install those drivers... I'm not too experienced with vm's but doesn't hardware accel for a guest usually depend on the windows drivers + guest additions for the vm?

#65 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 22 November 2012 - 14:46

I'm using a VM right now. I want to fully understand everything before committing my machine to Linux. I think I see what you mean though. Since I am in a VM, I may not want the nVidia drivers? Maybe the VM makes the hardware a standard VGA controller? I never thought of that...

#66 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 22 November 2012 - 14:53

I'm using a VM right now. I want to fully understand everything before committing my machine to Linux. I think I see what you mean though. Since I am in a VM, I may not want the nVidia drivers? Maybe the VM makes the hardware a standard VGA controller? I never thought of that...

Yes, that is what we have been telling you. In a VM, you are not using you GFX, you are using an emulated one.

Try a Boot-CD and try it before you install Ubuntu.

#67 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 22 November 2012 - 19:11

Since I am in a VM, I may not want the nVidia drivers?

That's what you've been told at least 5 times now on this thread by multiple different people! YOUR VM DOESN'T HAVE AN NVIDIA VIDEO CARD! You should install the set of drivers that comes with it, for VBox that's called guest additions, for VMWare it's something else.

#68 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 22 November 2012 - 22:23

If you're virtualizing Ubuntu using VirtualBox, you can install guest additions directly from the repository (since the VirtualBox is open-source).

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-dkms

#69 Glen Lalo

Glen Lalo

Neowinian

Posted 22 November 2012 - 22:28

Linux Mint for me is the best linux os ever made. Light and powerful. But when I boot win 7 I see the difference between a free os and paid os.

#70 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:21

Both Mint and I Ubuntu seem equally polished to me and I would gladly install either after more VMware testing now that I understand better.

#71 Kamran Mackey

Kamran Mackey

Apple Fanatic

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:39

Yeah most people will want Linux Mint 14. It's the best Linux distro out there for beginners. And I use Linux but I also use Windows as well. I like Linux a lot but I also like Windows a lot as well.

#72 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:22

I am using CentOS for my asterisk development (command line only)
I am using Mint 14 64-bit for my web server for playing with vTiger which is a Customer Relationship Management software for my business (Yes, I know it's a desktop instead of pure command-line, but I like both options)
I was using Kubuntu but really didn't like it, so I am now using Lubuntu for just general Linux stuff.

Arch Linux was too hardcore for me, I am sure it's great if you know what you are doing (I don't).

#73 atlef

atlef

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC Desire S Rooted and flashed.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:17

Just wanted to say, stay in there. It seems you are taking a good route to getting to grips with GNU/Linux by trying it in a virtual environment.

Good Luck.

atlef.

#74 Simmo3D

Simmo3D

Neowin V.I.P

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:48

I keep swapping between Windows 8 Pro and Mint Linux 14. .Once Steam gets a public release on Linux, I don't see much point sticking with Windows anymore. OpenGL performs faster than DirectX aparently and once Valve has completely optimized the code, games should hopefully run as smooth as on Windows. The latest NVidia 310 drivers improve performance 2x so this is a massive step in the right direction for gaming on Linux too.

#75 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:23

There is sort of a shift to linux with gaming because of Steam.. Hopefully more people will start using Linux.. Just my 2 cents

The popular gaming engine Unity 4.0 can now create games for linux too, i'm sure more engines will add support over the coming year then we will see a nice increase in linux games.