• This topic is locked This topic is locked
149 replies to this topic

#121 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:42

Stop bashing Steam.

If the made games for PS3, it was probably cause they had to. Just that they didn't want to.

A lot of people are interested in Steam Linux, look at all the beta testers. And I can bet you everyone who uses Linux exclusively will love it.

Who says Valve is going to leave Windows? They just wanted to move to Linux as another platform. As more enthusiastic people about Linux also play Windows games.

Since when did Linux = Windows? Linux is like 100 lightyears from Windows. It is a totally different architecture all together.

Tell me one game/software that worked fine on first release... You will always have bugs...

If all you want to do is bash Linux, then I suggest you get out of this topic.

I wasn't really bashing steam at all. Just telling how it was before. You can get cheap games on steam.
I never said Linux = Windows, stop sniffing glue. I said there are people out there that want to try to replace Desktop Windows with Desktop Linux.

I was never bashing Linux at all, I said this small movement of nerds thinking that Valve adding Linux as a platform is hyperbole and it is.

Stop thinking I am bashing things when I give a history about something. You are a little too sensitive. I am not bashing anything. Just trying to lay out that there is some hyperbole going on.

#122 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:14

I wasn't really bashing steam at all. Just telling how it was before. You can get cheap games on steam.
I never said Linux = Windows, stop sniffing glue. I said there are people out there that want to try to replace Desktop Windows with Desktop Linux.

I was never bashing Linux at all, I said this small movement of nerds thinking that Valve adding Linux as a platform is hyperbole and it is.

Stop thinking I am bashing things when I give a history about something. You are a little too sensitive. I am not bashing anything. Just trying to lay out that there is some hyperbole going on.

Think about the bigger picture.

New hardware engineers + TV-oriented user interface + Linux Client + controller patents = ...

#123 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:17

Think about the bigger picture.

New hardware engineers + TV-oriented user interface + Linux Client + controller patents = ...

You mean the new steam box? yeah maybe. However, it's going to have a ton of competition and not just from Microsoft, from Apple as well and then you have Roku.
Microsoft is going full on assault there, by releasing two devices one extremely low cost and the other their next gen console and then you have Apple TV, Roku, and probably Sony's PS4.

#124 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 26 November 2012 - 14:05

Then why does almost everyone else on here suggest different Linux distros while you are against it?

#125 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 26 November 2012 - 14:15

Valve is a lot of talk and hype. I remember them saying there were never going to make games for the PS3 because it was a horrible technology, well they are making games for it.
Valve is making Steam for Linux, but nobody but a few people care about it.

People say lots of things at the heat of the moment, but all that talk doesn't mean much of anything. Valve isn't going to abandon windows and Linux isn't going to just become popular because of Valve.
As I said before, Linux has never been a good platform to replace windows. It is good if you want a cheap server and good if you just need to download an OS to get things done, but it's not going to replace Windows.

I remember when Steam first came out and it was junk, it kept crashing and it was horrible, it took them a while to get a product that actually works. It's like December 21st, 2012, nothing is going to happen.
It's all just hyperbole just the same as steam moving to Linux.

Yeah you're probably right. I guess I wanted to see if Linux could be mainstream yet. I go way back with Linux and actually use to build my own distro with Gentoo. It was very time consuming but a heck of a lot of fun. I'm starting to think that building a box for it is going to be better than trying to dual boot. None of the distros I tried recognized that I had Windows 8 installed so I feared that none of them would give me a dual boot menu.

#126 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 26 November 2012 - 14:51

There are Arch Boot disks with Gnome/XFCE already loaded on.

where are said disks?

Arch is a pain in the ass to setup

I have still to yet succesfully boot it to a gnome DE lol

#127 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 26 November 2012 - 15:50

where are said disks?

Arch is a pain in the ass to setup

I have still to yet succesfully boot it to a gnome DE lol

After following the beginner's guide to get arch installed basically all you do to install and run gnome is pacman -S gnome gnome-extra, and then just systemctl enable gdm.service and reboot...

#128 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 26 November 2012 - 16:16

Haven't read the whole topic. Only page 1.
Just wanted to say my 2 pence.

I shifted to Ubuntu as my main OS after renting a few VPS's and learning it quite well Via SSH.

However, I soon switched back to windows due to; mainly a driver error which would case my whole system to crash and restart and seemingly random times. I found it out to be a graphic driver that wasnt compatible. Also though, before I switched, I thought that I didn't use many programs that were not available on linux, however I soon found out that I do. No photoshop was a nightmare (don't like GIMP) and the code editor I used at the time wasn't supported. Also, I found it very annoying to go to a software/feeware website and find it to be windows only.
I'm always downloading/trying out new software and that really ****ed me off and was the final push I needed back to windows.

Its just not worth it IMO. Windows is really the best and most popular OS for a reason (IMO)

#129 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 26 November 2012 - 16:33

Haven't read the whole topic. Only page 1.
Just wanted to say my 2 pence.

I shifted to Ubuntu as my main OS after renting a few VPS's and learning it quite well Via SSH.

However, I soon switched back to windows due to; mainly a driver error which would case my whole system to crash and restart and seemingly random times. I found it out to be a graphic driver that wasnt compatible. Also though, before I switched, I thought that I didn't use many programs that were not available on linux, however I soon found out that I do. No photoshop was a nightmare (don't like GIMP) and the code editor I used at the time wasn't supported. Also, I found it very annoying to go to a software/feeware website and find it to be windows only.
I'm always downloading/trying out new software and that really ****ed me off and was the final push I needed back to windows.

Its just not worth it IMO. Windows is really the best and most popular OS for a reason (IMO)

You made the mistake of expecting linux to be like windows. You don't download new linux software by visiting freeware websites, you do it from the software center. If you try to do everything on linux exactly the same way you were used to on windows you're not going to get good results. Windows, OSX, and Linux are different operating systems and they work very differently.

#130 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 26 November 2012 - 21:35

I recently built a NAS to store and serve all my movies and TV shows to HTPC's throughout my house. I originally thought Ubuntu would be the best choice for performance reasons. However, I found it to be a real pain to configure and the installation on my TV was so tiny I couldn't even see it. I'd just hoped that Linux could be mainstream for something because I really want to like it but now I am of the mindset that it is an enthusiast's OS.

#131 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 26 November 2012 - 21:40

I know a friend who has Ubuntu HTPC's and he has no trouble, so its probably your hardware configuration that is screwed up.

#132 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 26 November 2012 - 21:46

If you are interested in an operating system for your NAS box that is very powerful and easy to use, I definitely recommend FreeNAS. It is built on top of a powerful FreeBSD base, and has a nice web interface that allows you to run the box headless and remotely administer it. You don't need to know anything about how the underlying OS works. That is not to say that Linux does not work well as a file server - I currently host my SMB shares on CentOS 6 (my only machine not running Debian natively) - but FreeNAS is definitely easier to setup for a novice.

#133 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

Posted 27 November 2012 - 00:18

I mean there is no standard windowing toolkit that I can count on being installed on a user's machine.

I'm not sure why would one expect the existence of a windowing tool-kit on a UNIX®-like operating system.

I also believe your Windows example is flawed.

#134 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 November 2012 - 00:29

I'm playing around with Mint 14 on a LiveCD, and I am very impressed. It certainly blows Ubuntu out of the water and ranks very high when compared with Windows 8, at least for me.

#135 NightScreams

NightScreams

Neowinian

Posted 27 November 2012 - 00:57

Again, you have to learn it for it to work the way you want. Same way you start with any other software, no matter what OS.

Windows takes little to learn. Linux, you never stop having to learn. When you think you do then something changes or makes it irrelevant. Only thing most users learn from Linux is how to google, copy and paste into terminal or remember to type sudo apt this and that. Ask how to do most anything in Linux and the immediate response or search result is "Open Terminal and type" Once it's setup the way you want regardless means little next to the whole point of using an OS..running applications. This is where it is entirely user dependant, some can make do, some can't. I have to have Netflix and ITunes, I can't just work around it and there is no workaround. Commercial support means a lot to most users.