Hotshoe Microphone

Hello,

I have decided to buy myself a Nikon D3100 SLR for recording some video but i have noticed that the audio that is captured when recording people using the built in microphone isn't all that great.

I have seen a few recommendations around ranging from the Nikon ME-1 Hotshoe Microphone to fully fledged clip on microphones like the Sony UWP both of them seem to have their good points and their bad points but the Sony is considerably more expensive.

Does anyone here have any recommendations for a Hotshoe microphone system that would be good for recording one person from around 5 feet away capturing a good level of audio?

Rich

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Everyone talks about how great the Zoom h4 is. I've seen it in action and it's given very good results. Especially when paired with a high quality boom mic. But alone, the zoom can do a really great job. It's omnidirectional, so just try to get the mic as close as humanly possible without it being in the shot.

There's some syncing you're going to have to do with a dual system set up though, so keep that in mind with slating and file management.