Photo
win8

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 20 November 2012 - 20:21

I love my Surface hardware. And Office 2013 and Remote Desktop are great. But a portable device must support media in a meaningful manner.

The Surface has no media player other than Xbox Music app and it is woeful, and downright shameful that a multi-billion dollar company could release it to manufacturing in the shape it is in.

Search is such a convoluted mess and waste of time this is the easiest way to add songs to a playlist on the Surface from a large music library:

1) Use Desktop Environment to search for song.
2) Double-click to open in Music App
3) Click home button to go to Music App Home screen since you can't add to playlist from song playing full screen.
4) on home screen, in the now playing pane, right click, and now add to playlist.
5) Repeat hundreds of time and it's still more efficient than using the Metro search and doing the same thing.

Additionally, even with mirrored Music libraries, synced playlists will only see that you have some of the songs locally, even though your entire music libraries are mirrored.

And of course there's the can't sync right now issue, and having to uninstall/reinstall the music app (on Surface) if your music library changes significantly. There's a refresh issue.

This is frustrating, but more unacceptable given the resources Microsoft has. You can have the glossiest hardware on the planet if the #@#% is a headache to use and the apps don't work (then don't release them) you're going to fail.

#2 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 20 November 2012 - 20:24

I concur, the Music app is a heaping pile of junk. I will continue to use the Zune player. I just wish it (Zune) showed the song info/album art when you use the playback controls/change volume on your keyboard.

#3 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 20 November 2012 - 20:24

Ouch. I have heard nothing but bad things about this app. I will have to boot into my Windows 8 install later tonight when I get off work and see just how bad it is.

Shameful to think they ditched the very well regarded Zune Music App for one that just doesn't measure up.

#4 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 November 2012 - 20:26

Shameful to think they ditched the very well regarded Zune Music App for one that just doesn't measure up.

There's nothing stopping you from using the Zune software for Windows 8. I use it, and it works just fine.

#5 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 November 2012 - 20:29

There's nothing stopping you from using the Zune software for Windows 8. I use it, and it works just fine.

There is if you own a Surface like the OP does... Windows RT doesn't run Win32 code.

#6 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 November 2012 - 20:31

There is if you own a Surface like the OP does... Windows RT doesn't run Win32 code.

Well, LogicalApex said he was going to boot into W8 install later, which I assume he means a PC - so that's why I said that. But, yes, you're right. No Zune software on Surface RT.

#7 OP MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760

Posted 20 November 2012 - 20:55

Correct. I haven't used my Lumia 920 yet. I was hoping to ditch Zune since there is now a Windows 8 Phone sync app. But if I have to go back to Zune to manage music without pulling my hair out, that app is useless as I'll sync with Zune as well.

I don't have a problem with apps being in development, and clearly this is Beta and some components alpha, but damn it you released it and it's the only media player for the Surface which I had hoped to sync my phone with. That's just not an option in its current state and that's unacceptable IMO from a company with the resources of MS.

Clearly some things were released to meet a deadline and not "when they're done."

#8 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 8.1 Emterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520 Black

Posted 20 November 2012 - 21:01

No problems here with video or music just go to the albums view and sort by artist ? If you want your entire collection to appear in the application from a network source it needs to be a windows client or server with indexing enabled

#9 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 November 2012 - 21:03

Correct. I haven't used my Lumia 920 yet. I was hoping to ditch Zune since there is now a Windows 8 Phone sync app. But if I have to go back to Zune to manage music without pulling my hair out, that app is useless as I'll sync with Zune as well.

I don't have a problem with apps being in development, and clearly this is Beta and some components alpha, but damn it you released it and it's the only media player for the Surface which I had hoped to sync my phone with. That's just not an option in its current state and that's unacceptable IMO from a company with the resources of MS.

Clearly some things were released to meet a deadline and not "when they're done."

BTW, while I'm not a fan of it...isn't WiMP still in Windows RT? I haven't gotten to send any meaningful time with a Surface...but that might help for a bit.

#10 OP MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 20 November 2012 - 21:07

BTW, while I'm not a fan of it...isn't WiMP still in Windows RT? I haven't gotten to send any meaningful time with a Surface...but that might help for a bit.

Unfortunately no. I didn't know that until I went looking for it to ease my pains.

#11 Doli

Doli

Goo ball

Posted 20 November 2012 - 21:09

Its not the best but you can select songs from the App and not use the Desktop. You pull up the bottom menu bar from the main screen and select "Open File"

#12 OP MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 20 November 2012 - 21:16

No problems here with video or music just go to the albums view and sort by artist ? If you want your entire collection to appear in the application from a network source it needs to be a windows client or server with indexing enabled

No problem just playing the local files. It's searching to build a playlist that is just unusable realistically. Especially with a large library. Search always searches "all music" making more scrolling to get to the result you want. Even if you switch to my music, each search defaults to All music which includes Xbox Music Store and puts those results at the top. Now imagine that for each song to build say 3 workout playlists. Then you can't just right click to add to a playlist, from search you have to click at least twice and again to clear, etc. etc.

Regarding Libraries, to index a location it has to be on a server with indexing. You "can" add a non-indexed removable location to a library including pictures and music libraries. The OS sees it (Desktop & Surface), and Windows Media Player (desktop) sees it. Xbox Music App will not.

I've since realized, the whole problem is the Music App is crap for playlist creation and management, as well as synced playlists, etc. It does great if you buy your music from the Xbox music store which tells you where MS' focus is.

Its not the best but you can select songs from the App and not use the Desktop. You pull up the bottom menu bar from the main screen and select "Open File"

The basic play a local file functionality is there. It's the library/playlist management present in WMP and Zune that is just horrendous. The cloud syncing is also not finished.

#13 Doli

Doli

Goo ball

Posted 20 November 2012 - 21:24

No problem just playing the local files. It's searching to build a playlist that is just unusable realistically. Especially with a large library. Search always searches "all music" making more scrolling to get to the result you want. Even if you switch to my music, each search defaults to All music which includes Xbox Music Store and puts those results at the top. Now imagine that for each song to build say 3 workout playlists. Then you can't just right click to add to a playlist, from search you have to click at least twice and again to clear, etc. etc.

After you do a search you will see "All Music" with a down arrow. Select it and pick "My music"

nvm I need to read the whole thing :p

#14 OP MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 20 November 2012 - 21:27

After you do a search you will see "All Music" with a down arrow. Select it and pick "My music"

That's my point, do that, then search for next song, do it again. I have a 27" Monitor or on the Surface it's a mini-drag. Build 3 playlists with 20 songs each. Say you just search for half of them, that extra click every time gets annoying real fast. Search is critical for large media libraries and Windows 8 Search makes is a chore and a half. The "All Music" thing just adds to the silliness. It's just bad.

#15 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 20 November 2012 - 21:44

The lack of a decent settings menu and inability to separate your collection from the store is the root of many of these annoyances. Zune handled it almost perfectly. Keep your store out of our faces unless we specifically request it.