Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

61 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello

I know everyone likes and uses Notepad++ but I tried Sublime Text 2 and wow I felt in love with it :) The out of the box expirence is better than Notepad++ as much of Notepad++'s plugins are already a part of Sublime Text 2. Plus search is A LOT faster....

What source code editor do you use, why and with what language?

Posted

Sublime Text2 for quick editing and i use Eclipse for Java and for any Windows programming its Visual Studio 2012

Posted

Notepad++
Eclipse Classic
Visual Studio

Posted

Well if you're doing .NET work, then Visual Studio. Especially with Resharper Add-In.
1 person likes this

Posted

I use Eclipse for Java and Visual Studio 2010 for C++/C#.

Posted

vim. Very powerful and you can do pretty much anything you want with the right plugin.

Posted

I was referring to a source code editor not a IDE :) Just in case anyone is confused.

Posted

Text Editor: Sublime Text 2 for PHP, Node, Ruby - Why? Loads of great snippet/addons, Goto anything, Command line, VIM mode, multiple cursors, multi platform, etc.

IDE: Visual Studio 2012 for C#/ASP.NET MVC.

Posted

Vote one for Dreamweaver

Posted

[quote name='pes2013' timestamp='1353516460' post='595339516']
I was referring to a source code editor not a IDE :) Just in case anyone is confused.
[/quote]

One part of an IDE is a source editor... So why wouldn't an IDE be a valid answer to the question?

Posted

I usually use notepad
going to give Kate a try later though

Posted

gotta be VS hands down...

Posted

Visual Studio 2012 along with a few choice addons (CodeRush, etc) hands down for the various dotNET languages and platforms along with C++ and Python, Notepad++ for most everything else.

Posted

[quote name='LogicalApex' timestamp='1353516786' post='595339540']
One part of an IDE is a source editor... So why wouldn't an IDE be a valid answer to the question?
[/quote]
The source code portion of a IDE would be. I just saw so many bloated IDEs poping up I was just clearing it up :)

My favorite IDE is VS without a doubt. But it is not my favorite source code editor.

Posted

Sublime text 2 with package manager and a few plugins.
Jeffrey Way did a cracking tut on sublime text plugins on nettuts. Really recommend it.
Sublime is so much better with the plugins he recommended, especially zen coding. Ill never go back to writing HTML the way I used to.
1 person likes this

Posted

If I'm not using VS, then I'm using either Notepad++ or GEdit if I'm on Linux.

Posted

On Windows visual studio 2010
On Linux Gedit

Posted

Heh, Notepad++.

I've been testing Sublime Text 2 and I'd definitely say it looks better out of the box (not sure you could even mod Notepad++ to look better) but honestly I feel the syntax highlighting (only judging for html, css, php and javascript) is better in Notepad++ out of the box though judging by the default colour-schemes it's possible I could fix that for Sublime and it's probably just a matter of what I'm used to as well. Still, In the end, there is no way I personally could justify paying $59 for Sublime when there isn't really anything (except looks) that it does better than Notepad++ for me and even if it did it'd be a bit steep for a texteditor.

Posted

[quote name='Leonick' timestamp='1353519568' post='595339696']
Heh, Notepad++.

I've been testing Sublime Text 2 and I'd definitely say it looks better out of the box (not sure you could even mod Notepad++ to look better) but honestly I feel the syntax highlighting (only judging for html, css, php and javascript) is better in Notepad++ out of the box though judging by the default colour-schemes it's possible I could fix that for Sublime and it's probably just a matter of what I'm used to as well. Still, In the end, there is no way I personally could justify paying $59 for Sublime when there isn't really anything (except looks) that it does better than Notepad++ for me and even if it did it'd be a bit steep for a texteditor.
[/quote]
Every few minutes (30 minutes) it just shows a nag screen. Nothing else.

Posted

[quote name='pes2013' timestamp='1353524296' post='595339878']
Every few minutes (30 minutes) it just shows a nag screen. Nothing else.
[/quote]
I know, just like WinZip only has a 30 day trial but can still be used after it. The "license" still says you have to buy for continued use so I'll just go for the free just as good alternative even if I could technically use the paid option without paying :p

Posted

Notepad++ for quick text editing.

Dreamweaver for PHP/HTML/JS/CSS.

Visual Studio for C#.

[quote name='Leonick' timestamp='1353524822' post='595339896']
I know, just like WinZip only has a 30 day trial but can still be used after it. The "license" still says you have to buy for continued use so I'll just go for the free just as good alternative even if I could technically use the paid option without paying :p
[/quote]
You should really try 7-Zip. I was a die-hard WinRAR fan for the last 7 years or so, until it was forced upon me. It's Ultra compression kicks arse!

Posted

I recommend anyone that uses Notepad++ (for whatever) to give Sublime Text 2 a try :)

Posted

Sublime Text 2 is nice, but I haven't found anything that makes it worth the money for me. Notepad++ does a great job for simple editing and it's free. Visual Studio will always be the king of IDEs though.
1 person likes this

Posted

I personally use Notepad++ and Eclipse (against my will). Never heard of Sublime, so I'll check that one out. :)

Posted

Sublime Text for anything non-Java and I love it! If you thought text editors couldn't be faster, think again.