Web Development Questions

Question

Hi Everyone,

A client of mine wants to create a website for online courses.

Basically his students can go to this website, sign up and create a username and password, and they can pay a fee of let's say $30.

Once the fee is paid they will have access to this section of the website for members only, where they can go over material, and in the end take a test in order to pass the class.

This access is also to have an expiry date. So for example if they pay the fee today November 21st, they will have 30 days to complete the course, after 30 days access will be denied.

I was thinking of doing this on wordpress, for database purposes, and the e-commerce side of things using woocommerce.

But i'm stuck when it comes to the online course part of things.

Is it possible to do it on wordpress.. and having giving access to part of a website for a limited time, as well as providing a testthat students can take and check if their answers are correct once test is complete?

6 answers to this question

Sounds more like it should be written in pure php or a other server script.

And yes this forum part has a veyr small amount of active people so we're always slow on reply xD

You can try it on Wordpress though if they don't have an addon for the online courses, then you're going to need to custom code the system. Either way, you're going to use PHP.

Sounds pretty easy actually - from a technical point of view. Suggest to only use PayPal this makes it even easier.

But my biggest worry is this: What's to stop people saving content when they have an active account and redistributing it, or sharing their user ID?

But I wouldn't use Wordpress, I'd code it myself.

To keep the application as light as possible I would recommend coding it barebones by not adding anything that is not needed. Make sure you have a good list of requirements that match what you have currently posted and start working on a prototype. You can do this in any language that meets your requirements just make sure to keep security in mine when doing your project.

In terms of user account and information sharing.

There is no way to stop people from downloading videos as they have to download the content to watch the videos, they can use screen capture software, etc. All DRMs have been broken as they are only a temporary slowdown for the determined. To assist with checking if users are sharing information set the site up so only one user can be logged in at a time, to check you should not be able to login to the site without being logged out from the same ip using multiple browsers. Also keep track of the user's login ips and inform the user that only one user per account is allowed.