Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

6870: To buy or not?

18 posts in this topic

Posted

I saw a few 6870's on Newegg's Black Friday sale. Preferably the XFX one:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150561

I right now have a Radeon HD5770. Link to product: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150447

Will I notice any more performance on it? I only play Minecraft, but I might like to try some Linux Steam games out in the future. The reason I'm asking, I'm getting horrible FPS in Minecraft no matter what DE I run. Orange is trying to help me, but way too close to the holidays. We're not sure what the issue is.

Or should I just sit this one out and wait for the 7 series? Dunno how long this sale will last, so sooner the better. :)

Edit: Of course, I could just buy it and not use it if/until I and Orange can't figure out the problem.

Posted

6850 was around 1.5 times faster than 5770 when I upgraded, so yea, 6870 will probably double the 5770

Posted

6870 is a huge boost and I'd recommend it for gaming in general, but I don't know what it'll do for Minecraft.

Posted

I have that same exact 6870 and it's definitely a step up over a 5700 series for most games, but like some of the customer reviews there say it is a bit noisy under a gaming load. So i'd keep that in mind if a noisy card might bug you.

Posted

I have that same exact 6870 and it's definitely a step up over a 5700 series for most games, but like some of the customer reviews there say it is a bit noisy under a gaming load. So i'd keep that in mind if a noisy card might bug you.

:laugh: Funny you said that. I have about 40% hearing loss from radiation/chemo when I was 3yo. So yeah, the sound won't hurt me. Just have to crank up the speakers, and I'm good. :p

OK, I'll just wait for a few more considerations, and I'll get it. I have $150 in PayPal from when I sold my 1156 board/cpu online. ;)

Edit: I can always add on a 3rd party h/s. I had my eyes on the Arctic Cool models for awhile.

Posted

No one else? OK, well with those three telling me it is a step above 5770, plus some of my friends on IM agreed, so can't be wrong. I'm going to buy it now. I can always send it back to Newegg. ;)

Posted

I have a 6870 and its a fantastic card, I play most games with great frames at 1080p

Posted

Bought it. Comes with free coupons for Farcry, MOH, Two Worlds, and Dirt 3. If it doesn't work in Wine, I can always use a VB or switch to my Win 7 side (that I haven't used for 2 weeks :o )

Posted

Bought it. Comes with free coupons for Farcry, MOH, Two Worlds, and Dirt 3. If it doesn't work in Wine, I can always use a VB or switch to my Win 7 side (that I haven't used for 2 weeks :o )

AMD givin you games

sweet deal.

The card is just right. I owned mine since late Novemeber in 2010, I don't see myself replacing till the HD9 series comes out.

Posted

The 6870 has ~ the same performance as the 5850.

Posted

@humanz: That made me think of "The Three Bears" :laugh: One bowl of porridge was too hot, the other was too cold, the other was just right :)

@Primexx: That does not help me. I'm not comparing a 6870 to a 5850. I have a 5770.

Posted

Congrats on the new card, i ran that for a year and a half, awesome card.

Posted

OK, folks. I got it yesterday, and only installed it this morning. Had to clean out my case and rewire some stuff anyway.

All the talk about the fan being loud, I hear little. But it might be doing the same thing that I did with my 5770, when I slowed the fan down by editing the Xorg.

I'm seeing maybe a 20Fps gain in Minecraft. But Orange and I are working on that.

Posted

Not to flame, but I think the nVidia 670GTX is a much better value and better performance.

Posted

I like ATI/AMD cards better. In Linux, they have better open source drivers,

But, I do not want to pay $350-400. I got the 6870 for $150 with $40 MIR.

Posted

its a good card, not that loud tbh but ya dont really notice it/get used to it. ive got the xfx black edition for like nearly 2 years now plays everything except GTA 4 at max (not enough ram on it). Goign wait for 8000 series come out next year and pick up a 7950 when the prices drop more

Posted

Have you tried Optifine?

It's done wonders for my daughters laptops and even helps make minecraft run smoother on my desktop pc with extra detail settings switched on :)

It's even handier if you have many cores on your CPU, it allows multithreaded block loading :D

Posted

Yeah, I use Optifine. It gives me a little boost, but not a heck of a lot. I have a lot of features turned off.