8 posts in this topic

Posted

Since about September, Facebook has offered its advertisers a powerful new way to track its users as they surf the Web: It's called "phone number retargeting." (The move comes separately to Facebook's effort earlier this year to collect its users' mobile phone numbers to prevent security breaches.)

More recently, according to AdExchanger, Facebook has also developed a new "conversion pixel"

Posted

Will Facebook give me their phone number so I can call and complain?

Posted

So, Facebook are doing nothing wrong and are trying new ways to help them survive and continue offering us a great product? Thanks for letting us know :) I knew that anyway, as I closely follow Facebook news, but it's good that more people are being informed that Facebook aren't actually doing anything wrong with their mobile numbers.

1 person likes this

Posted

Not surprised.. same reason I won't give Yahoo Mail or GMail my phone number "for security purposes"

Posted

Wouldn't know, don't use social networking, (tho I can see some advantages if I was to start)

Posted

Not surprised.. same reason I won't give Yahoo Mail or GMail my phone number "for security purposes"

You missed the part where it says:

*Correction: This item originally said, incorrectly, that security phone numbers were used for advertiser retargeting. The company tells us that these numbers are kept separate and NOT used for that purpose.

Numbers given to them for security purposes are not handed out...this only happens if you have the number listed on there for general purposes.

1 person likes this

Posted

Seems like another reason to ditch Facebook to me. I'm getting tired of everyone spying on me.

Posted

I love this, people want a free service and then whine that the said company is using the demographic details they have to target ads. Honestly, I swear people are f-cking clueless as to how such services are free in the first place - as if some eccentric billionaire is bank rolling Facebook for the 'good of humanity' or something.