bakery confectionery tobacco and grain millers union missouri new york

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,814 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 15:16

KANSAS CITY, Mo./NEW YORK (Reuters) - Enough is enough, say bakery workers at Hostess Brands Inc.

After several years of costly concessions, the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco and Grain Millers Union (BCTGM) authorized a walk-out earlier this month after Hostess received bankruptcy court approval to implement a wage cut that was not included in its contract.

With operations stalled, the company that makes Twinkies and other famous U.S. brands said last week that liquidating its business was the best way to preserve its dwindling cash. It won court approval on Wednesday to start winding down in a process expected to claim 15,000 jobs immediately and over 3,000 more after about four months.

Interviews with more than a dozen workers showed there was little sign of regret from employees who voted for the strike. They said they would rather lose their jobs than put up with lower wages and poorer benefits.

"They're just taking from us," said Kenneth Johnson, 46, of Missouri. He said he earned roughly $35,000 with overtime last year, down from about $45,000 five years ago.

"I really can't afford to not be working, but this is not worth it. I'd rather go work somewhere else or draw unemployment," said Johnson, a worker at Hostess for 23 years.

With 18,500 workers, Hostess has 12 different unions including the BCTGM, which has about 5,600 members on the bread and snack item production lines, and the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, which represents about 7,500 route sales representatives, drivers and other employees.

more

#2 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,814 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 15:25

Something wrong in the logic here.

They'll be lucky to find anther bakery to work at.

Only $35,000 a year ? boo hoo ...

Have fun when that unemployment check runs out.

#3 V8nside

V8nside

Neowinian

• 28 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 15:41

I never understood Union mentality...They would rather have nothing than something???

On the other side, I would like to think that the top-dogs have also given up/lost their bonuses and pay raises and they are not looking for consessions only from the workers.

Everyone should be affected equally which is seldom the case..

#4 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,148 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 15:45

I would like to think that the top-dogs have also given up/lost their bonuses

Probably not. It's sadly common practice in north america for CEO and such to get big bonuse even when the company is losing money,

#5 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

• 8,612 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 15:48

By walking out and forcing liquidation, they still get most of their pensions / retirements as part of contracts and bankruptcy, totaling roughly $2billion. If they just quit, they lose that (and unemployment). If they agreed to further concessions (that they agreed to in 2004 as part of the first bankruptcy), part of the concessions was to lose pensions (which Hostess had stopped contributing to over a year ago).

The company was poorly run and failing anyway. Time to put it out of its misery like a zombie.

@V8 - the top-dogs were caught trying to give themselves raises just before declaring bankruptcy. CEO got a 300% bump, top execs got anywhere from 30-80%.

#6 xSuRgEx

xSuRgEx

Neowinian Senior

• 2,475 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 15:49

hey id love a job that will pay 35k USD = almost 22k GBP to bake food to make you fat.
even those who work for cadburys dont get that amount.

#7 necroxd

necroxd

Neowinian

• 366 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:20

Probably not. It's sadly common practice in north america for CEO and such to get big bonuse even when the company is losing money,

The CEO just doubled his raise when they filed for bankruptcy.

#8 jwjw1

jwjw1

Neowinian

• 4,414 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:24

35K to show up to work at a fully automated bakery.....Good Luck with the Job Search.

#9 Prosidius

Prosidius

Geek.

• 3,094 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:27

So you rather make $0 as opposed to $35,000? Trying to find the logic here but I cant find any. The company was poorly run but the workers throwing there jobs away is a boneheaded move.

#10 Billus

Billus

Neowinian Senior

• 1,831 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:57

I can understand why the mentality, especially if working overtime and getting that kind of pay. My pay is more than that and I work casual whilst studying (albeit AU$). Sometimes you're better of taking the leap and hope you find a new job. The smarter move would be to keep your job and look for a new one at the same time. Nonetheless, it's a crap feeling when you have to force yourself to work and even worse when you know that you may loose your job.

#11 Raa

Raa

Resident something-or-rather

• 11,807 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:59

By walking out and forcing liquidation, they still get most of their pensions / retirements

So either way it breaks down - it's about greed.

#12 tekneek

tekneek

Neowinian

• 29 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:19

So either way it breaks down - it's about greed.

Funny how that works. Isn't it...

#13 rheostat

rheostat

Neowinian

• 202 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:30

Yes, wanting to recoup some of the money they've invested in their pensions must be greed. No other explanation possible! Not like they might be trying to do what's best for themselves and their families. Why hate on poor people? Jesus christ.

#14 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:45

twinkie not good for brains

#15 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 10,720 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:42

*reminds me of the British Leyland debacle in some ways*
Very unsteady ground to be treading on specially in this economic climate and this close to Christmas

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!