bakery confectionery tobacco and grain millers union missouri new york

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 +-T-

-T-

Trapmaster

• 2,617 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:46

Ok so quit and let others that want to work take the $35k a year. Although I earn more than that in $AU, everything here is more expensive so it's probably relative for their cost of living.

It's a sad day when cakes can't survive in america

#17 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:11

Interviews with more than a dozen workers showed there was little sign of regret from employees who voted for the strike. They said they would rather lose their jobs than put up with lower wages and poorer benefits.

Let them be without jobs for a year or so and be hungry a bit and they will change their minds. If not, they can always work at a homeless kitchen or something baking bread for each other.

#18 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:30

Let them be without jobs for a year or so and be hungry a bit and they will change their minds. If not, they can always work at a homeless kitchen or something baking bread for each other.

or twinkies.

#19 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:52

twinkie not good for brains

Thanks for the show and tell... :p

Glassed Silver:ios

#20 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:00

So let me get this straight, not one, not two or three troublesome or whiny workers, but the ENTIRE workforce goes on strike, meaning, there's probably good reason. If Hostess handled daily operations like they've handled the bankruptcy (more more more for the execs, workers pensions gone), then it's pretty believable. You likely already have workers that are unskilled and low paid, so you **** on them even more by lowering pay more and lowering benefits when they could barely feed their family in the first place, thinking they've got no choice but to just accept it and keep working. Then they all finally get fed up with it, and your opinion is "Well, they should just starve" since they aren't willing to bend over and take it from a corrupt management? So far all of the information to come out has painted a picture of massive corporate greed on management's part (what's new?). I know there's only so much of my pay you could take away before I'd say screw you and leave. What would you rather have? Slavery where people aren't allowed to complain and get paid whatever the company feels like paying them?

#21 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• 5,347 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:05

Keep in mind hostess was shutting down 3 bakeries even if they agreed to a contract. Also keep in mind the union will help them find jobs. Its one of the benefits of being in a union.

#22 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• 2,480 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, iPad Mini

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:06

So let me get this straight, not one, not two or three troublesome or whiny workers, but the ENTIRE workforce goes on strike, meaning, there's probably good reason. If Hostess handled daily operations like they've handled the bankruptcy (more more more for the execs, workers pensions gone), then it's pretty believable. You likely already have workers that are unskilled and low paid, so you **** on them even more by lowering pay more and lowering benefits when they could barely feed their family in the first place, thinking they've got no choice but to just accept it and keep working. Then they all finally get fed up with it, and your opinion is "Well, they should just starve" since they aren't willing to bend over and take it from a corrupt management? So far all of the information to come out has painted a picture of massive corporate greed on management's part (what's new?). I know there's only so much of my pay you could take away before I'd say screw you and leave. What would you rather have? Slavery where people aren't allowed to complain and get paid whatever the company feels like paying them?

If you ever worked in a Union you'd know it doesn't take many, especially when the votes to strike/return are not done by secret ballot. If you go against the unions wishes in these things they will make you life hell, and try to get you fired.

In many cases where they have done a public vote, and then a secret ballot, you will see vast differences in the results.. it's easier to vote the way you want when no one can punish you for it.

#23 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:08

If you ever worked in a Union you'd know it doesn't take many, especially when the votes to strike/return are not done by secret ballot. If you go against the unions wishes in these things they will make you life hell, and try to get you fired.

In many cases where they have done a public vote, and then a secret ballot, you will see vast differences in the results.. it's easier to vote the way you want when no one can punish you for it.

Which, since when you interview a number of workers and they all say they'd rather lose their jobs than keep working there, probably isn't the case. No one can punish you once you already lost your jobs. As soon as the company said they were going to close down, people would have started coming out all over saying "Hey, we didn't want this", if that were the case.

#24 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• 5,347 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:10

I am in a union. IF you vote against the union they can make it so you will never again get a job in a company that has that specific union. Sometime any job that is in a company with any union because many unions work together.

#25 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,605 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:15

Keep in mind hostess was shutting down 3 bakeries even if they agreed to a contract. Also keep in mind the union will help them find jobs. Its one of the benefits of being in a union.

Yeah, much like the union for electricians....of which many, many union members have been on a list for 3-4 years now, waiting for a job opening. And, when the union worker finally makes it to the top of the list, if they work over 2 weeks on a small job they are sent back to the bottom of the list. So, they either find that lucky, rare, long-term position or work very sporadically and maintain position on the union list, or not work at all. I'm sure though that the baking industry has openings just popping up everywhere and they won't have similar problems....yeah, right.

#26 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• 5,347 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:24

Yeah, much like the union for electricians....of which many, many union members have been on a list for 3-4 years now, waiting for a job opening. And, when the union worker finally makes it to the top of the list, if they work over 2 weeks on a small job they are sent back to the bottom of the list. So, they either find that lucky, rare, long-term position or work very sporadically and maintain position on the union list, or not work at all. I'm sure though that the baking industry has openings just popping up everywhere and they won't have similar problems....yeah, right.

Considering another company will probably buy the brands they will have a whole bunch of jobs. I think the union figures it will be easier to negotiate with a new buyer then to negotiate with hostess.

#27 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,605 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:32

Considering another company will probably buy the brands they will have a whole bunch of jobs. I think the union figures it will be easier to negotiate with a new buyer then to negotiate with hostess.

Another company will buy the recipe and rights and make it in their existing business with their existing workers. Unless a single company is able to obtain ALL of the recipes and rights....then maybe.

#28 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• 5,347 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:36

Another company will buy the recipe and rights and make it in their existing business with their existing workers. Unless a single company is able to obtain ALL of the recipes and rights....then maybe.

I think it would be a lot more expensive to have to retool a factory to make a new product then to just buy say the twinkie factory. Remember to retool a factory you would have to shut it down which would mean loss of revenue for the product that had to halt production.

From what I have seen on non biased articles is that it was basically hostess who went to the union. We are dfinitely closing 3 bakeries. You either work with us and reduce costs or everything closes. The union I guess figures they have better chances of less people losing their jobs dealing with another company then having atleast 3 bakeries closing.

Keep in mind all the problems hostess is having because of bad management. This is their 2nd bankruptcy. The union probably sees hostes plan as a temporary fix and that it would be better if they tried to negotiate with the new buyer.

Keep in mind that I could be wrong but since I am in a union I am guessing at their thinking. Also keep in mind the take the deal vs strike and close could have been off by 1 vote.

#29 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• 2,497 posts
  • Phone: HTC One M8

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:54

Good luck getting a job elsewhere that'll pay you $35k a year to bake.
Many people are living on half of that.

i don't know why these people are feeling entitled to all this crap when the company as a whole isnt even making enough to pay them what they want.

So these people should just quit, and give people who want to work the jobs.

If he is a qualified baker, that is, he studied for an apprenticeship etc. then he should head overseas because I know at least where I work there are demands for qualified bakers left, right and centre which can't be filled by locals. $35K at least where I live can go along way.

#30 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• 2,497 posts
  • Phone: HTC One M8

Posted 23 November 2012 - 14:50

Would a "qualified baker" work at hostess pushing buttons on huge machines to mass bake sugary snacks?

You'd think a qualified baker would work in a real store or restaurant making fancy real cakes for weddings, and such, alot more money doing that, plus its real baking.

I assume if they're (the original article) are going to throw around terms that maybe they should call them a 'kitchen hand' given that the term baker implies a person who is actually a trained baker who works in a bakery.