4 replies to this topic

#1 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:28

Hi,

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding changing the lock screen background in Windows 8 for when no user is signed in?
Currently it's defaulting to the cartoon city background and only changes to mine after I log in. Same applies to Windows 8 if you are in a multiuser/domain environment but there appears to be no way to customise it by default in the Windows GUI.

Technically the same situation applies to Server 2012 but that has a less eye offending light grey solid colour for a background.

Google is not producing anything meaningful at time of searching.

#2 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:57

GPO?

#3 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 23 November 2012 - 22:59

I want to know this as well.

#4 syobon999

syobon999

Neowinian

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:36

http://www.neowin.ne...#entry595279693

#5 nyolc8

nyolc8

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 520

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:58

Here's how I changed it on the first day when RTM came out in august:
  • You need to go here: "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\S-1-5-18\ReadOnly\LockScreen_Z" (you'll need to make yourself owner and make full access permissions to all subfolders to access this folder)
  • You'll find there a file called "LockScreen___RESX_RESY_notdimmed.jpg" image. (RESX is you horizontal resolution, RESY is your vertical resolution.) (little extra info: when RTM came out, the "notdimmed" word was not in the filename, some windows update made that there.)
  • You need to set yourself owner and full access permission on this file too, then rename it to "LockScreen___RESX_RESY_notdimmed.jpg.bak"
  • Then you'll need an image which has the same resolution as your screen resolution. Rename your image to "LockScreen___RESX_RESY_notdimmed.jpg" (RESX is you horizontal resolution, RESY is your vertical resolution.) and copy it to this folder.
  • Then you need to set at least "read" permission for "System" user for this new image file.
  • You are done!
(Once I needed to redone this, after that "notdimmed" windowsupdate came out, but other than that it works perfectly.)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!